Teal walks us through the process of creating a healthy, vegan pie made with a spelt flour crust and using agave instead of sugar. It is a really great recipe which even junk food eaters think tastes even better than normal apple pie!
For the crust:
- 3 cups whole spelt flour (+ some for dusting)
- 1 1/4 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons coconut oil (+ some for brushing)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons agave (+ some for brushing)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-4 tablespoons cold water
For the filling:
- 4 1/2 cups peeled, cored organic apples. Chopped into very thin, tiny bits. Granny smith apples are the best!
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups agave
- 1 1/2 cups apple sauce
- 3 tablespoons minute tapioca
To make the crust:
- Mix the dry ingredients (spelt flour, baking powder and salt) until well combined.
- Add coconut oil, agave, vanilla and mix.
- Once mixed, add the water. Mix until the dough has the consistency that can form a ball.
- Dust some spelt flour over a piece of saran wrap. Lay the ball of dough in the middle and wrap ir air tight. Refridgerate for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat your oven to 425F degrees.
To make the filling and pie:
- Mix all of the filling ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- When the dough is finished chilling in the fridge, unwrap it. Put it on a piece of parchment paper, sprinkled with a bit of spelt flour.
- Roll out the dough until it's about 1/4 inch thick.
- Transfer the dough to a pie tin. Make sure the tin is covered and the dough has no holes. Reserve the exess dough that comes off the sides of the pie tin for later.
- Pour the filling on top of the dough.
- Gently fold over the overlapping sides of the pie and place the exess fallen off dough pieces on top of the pie. Cover about a 2 inch space from the side of the tin. The center of the pie should stay exposed.
- Thinly brush the dough on top with some coconut oil so it doesn't dry out while it bakes.
- Put the pie in the oven at 425F degrees for 10 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to 350F degrees for 30 minutes.
- Take the pie out of the oven, lighly brush some agave on the crust.
- Let it sit for 15min and serve!
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.