Kikipocodot

Why does acceptance make experiences less negative? Why does resistance make things worse?

4 posts in this topic

A few nights ago I stayed up late, and when I do that, I usually have sleep paralysis. What always happens is that I hear weird random things that I can't really control and I feel unpleasant tingling or energy or something like that running through my body. I feel the energy in my head first as I start to fall asleep, which I would always resist and wake myself up from. But sometimes I reach a point where I can't wake up, which happened that night. Yet, unlike most times where it's unpleasant and kind of scary, this time, towards the end of it, I kind of enjoyed it, and I was like "this isn't that bad." Instead of waking up with a small gasp and sudden movement, I woke up slowly and calmly. I still felt the energy and it was fine.

Last night, I went to bed late and felt it in my head again as I started to fall asleep. But I went with it. This time, it didn't feel as strange; it was more subtle. I eventually got to that point of no return, but I didn't struggle at all to get out of it, and I dozed off soundly as I would any other night without the sleep paralysis.

I just wanted to give you this story for context, but please answer the question from the title. What do you think? Thanks guys!

Edited by Kikipocodot

It's because of how you are defining, and then reacting to your experience. When resisting, it can only be because of a mental /emotional  context that you have created  in which to resist. Resisting things from being bad, is not the same as allowing them to be ok...you first need an emotional /mental  context that they are bad, to resist...and persist. 

Defining things as acceptable, leaves you with an acceptable experience. :)

• Upvote 1

keep trying to go out of body. the higher you go the faster you see that you have control of this, your consciousness is just in a higher perspective where you think of anything and see it including emotions and how they effect you, you see the pattern and all that, its pretty cool, its just really slow down here, but it works the same, you just see proof up there or inside however you want to look at it.

acceptance is love, like if you told someone your dream and they were rooting for you and really happy for you to do that. you could ask someone else your dream and they would tell you its dumb and you cant do that, that person would not be rooting for you. resistance is you preventing yourself from evolving, or going against the flow your natural state.

I think there are multiple correct answers to this because it is a multifaceted question. The firat aspect that pops into my head is as follows. Reality as each individual knows it (in this dimension), stems directly from the mind. So we are perceiving things as positive, neutral, or negative. We tend to resist things that we perceive to be negative, unpleasant, or bad as an automatic response. Not wanting the situation to occur makes it even more loathsome and unpleasant. So, if we accept something (even if it isn't that great or something we don't exactly want) it pushes the perception away from negative into a more positive light. This is because things that we automatically enjoy or want are strongly categorized with acceptance.

Acceptance softens the blow and puts our minds at ease. After all, we are here to experience (including unpleasant things) and expand consciousness.

But like I mentioned before...this is multifaceted. I think this could be discussed for a long time.

• Upvote 1