ToTo

Raising awareness in the middle east

10 posts in this topic

My opinion is paradoxical.  I feel there are extremes composed of an ignorant majority blinded by Islam & patriarchy, yet the quality of awareness I've come across here has a very special quality of spirituality. 

Why such little awareness? The list is too long and hard to pinpoint which is the cause, which is the reaction.

• Upvote 1

I'd fake my faith too if It meant going to jail or getting killed. how do you get passed sharia law? They're in that whole system I cant relate to because I'm not there, but I probably would keep a lot to myself, it just wouldn't be worth it to be the loud mouth that gets me in trouble.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I live in Lebanon which has 13 different sects/religions and a high level of personal freedoms.  I can't breathe if living in conservative societies or ones with unreasonable restrictions on freedom of expression.  

My concern is with the collective of Muslims becoming intolerant, possessive and showing deviant behavior being very explicit with their ideology- thanks to the US, Saudi & Israel.  Syria fiasco has opened a can of worms :-P

On 19/02/2017 at 2:41 PM, arabesque said:

I live in Lebanon which has 13 different sects/religions and a high level of personal freedoms.  I can't breathe if living in conservative societies or ones with unreasonable restrictions on freedom of expression.  

My concern is with the collective of Muslims becoming intolerant, possessive and showing deviant behavior being very explicit with their ideology- thanks to the US, Saudi & Israel.  Syria fiasco has opened a can of worms :-P

Funny you would say that I'm actually half Lebanese half Saudi and I have lived in both countries. Though Saudi Arabia is considered extremely conservative I found it more tolerable to live in Saudi Arabia  ( Jeddah to be specific) than in Lebanon... 

On 3/1/2017 at 11:11 PM, ToTo said:

Funny you would say that I'm actually half Lebanese half Saudi and I have lived in both countries. Though Saudi Arabia is considered extremely conservative I found it more tolerable to live in Saudi Arabia  ( Jeddah to be specific) than in Lebanon... 

It's a matter of taste really.  While Lebanon has it's share of problems, i.e. inefficient corrupt government, security issues being sandwiched between the Zionist entity and Syria, horrible traffic, slow internet, scarcity in jobs, electricity cuts, trash crisis, Israel, etc. but I'd take it any day before Saudi. Why?

I like wearing what I want, going to the beach & being able to wear a swimsuit, DRIVING, having a glass of wine with my dinner, being able to travel without permission from a male relative, not having religious police in my face teaching me "morals" LOL, going to the mountains and enjoying gorgeous nature and villagers, going anywhere & being seen with the other gender,  DANCING, criticizing my government, criticizing religion, freedom of expression, eating home-grown fruits and vegetables (and you know Lebanon's are the tastiest in the world)... I cannot have these things in Saudi.

In Saudi, one has more security (but that is dwindling - Yemenis are striking back), higher wages (that's changing too),  Asian servants left and right (can no longer live with that), high rises (not my thing), good internet (too many sites are blocked), good food (lots of good food but everything is flown from abroad)... Honestly can't think of anything great and amazing except for having better financial resources...

The Middle-East strikes me as having pros and cons just like western nations. Although there's extremities (such as Saudi Arabia), it seems like it has the potential to be just as flexible a place as Europe except maybe in a different way.

I hope people there can stay as safe as possible considering the global situation. As I've heard now from multiple sources, whatever global issues are about to happen will be sparked in the Middle-East, most likely between Israel and Iran. It doesn't take a genius to see that the media has  been pushing an anti-Iranian agenda for many years, with limited success. A war with Iran was already being pushed a few years ago but was far too unpopular. This is a very sad situation if this comes to pass.