Garnet

How to balance sugar levels quickly?

15 posts in this topic

I did something stupid today.

I had nothing cooked for almost 3 days. Just fruit and veg. And suddenly today sugar cravings hit me and i had a strong cup of coffee with chocolate covered almonds  (not organic, lol).  My heart was going crazy after that and shortly after, as you may imagine, i have lost all my energy levels. Fell asleep for about an hour. 

Woke up very thirsty.

Does anybody know what to do if something like this happens again?

I love coffee and chocolate :D

• Upvote 1

Are you asking for help with Sugar CRAVINGS or BLOOD-SUGAR CONTROL?

Either way, eat more Fat. Dietary-Fat  drastically slows down the rate at which starch/sugar raises BLOOD-sugar.

i.e. eating your baked potato with BUTTER/SOUR-CREAM (fat) is better than eating a plain cooked potato because it doesn't spike your blood-sugar nearly as much. 

Also the reason for your racing heart = Caffeine + Theobromine. (Theobromine is a type of caffeine in chocolate and is why chocolate can kill dogs.) You essentially consumed too much caffeine. 

I drink black coffee daily (french espresso,  in the morning,) but even I overdo it sometimes and get "stimulant" symptoms. I normally have my coffee black and with a packet of Stevia. 

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, YOD said:

Are you asking for help with Sugar CRAVINGS or BLOOD-SUGAR CONTROL?

Both!

I've had low blood pressure since i was little. It's much much better now, but i still have a rapid symptom sometimes. It feels like my all energy suddenly drained. I think that's how i got addicted to sugar and coffee. 

Yes, you're right about fat. I usually have avocado with my salad and yesterday i didn't. 

Also i don't like plain potatoes :) I use olive oil and different spices/ hebs. I heard some speculations about olive oil whether it's good or not for the heart... idk. I like the taste of it.

I haven't tried Stevia in a long time. Maybe i should again. I remember that it tasted awful to me. Which brand do you buy? 

Overall, thank you for the advice!

3 hours ago, Garnet said:

Both!

I've had low blood pressure since i was little. It's much much better now, but i still have a rapid symptom sometimes. It feels like my all energy suddenly drained. I think that's how i got addicted to sugar and coffee. 

Yes, you're right about fat. I usually have avocado with my salad and yesterday i didn't. 

Also i don't like plain potatoes :) I use olive oil and different spices/ hebs. I heard some speculations about olive oil whether it's good or not for the heart... idk. I like the taste of it.

I haven't tried Stevia in a long time. Maybe i should again. I remember that it tasted awful to me. Which brand do you buy? 

Overall, thank you for the advice!

Both you and my mother are not fans of Stevia. Stevia sweeteners have really come around since they were first released though, and many of them no longer have that "licorice aftertaste."

2 brands I use:

-Stevia in the Raw: (Stevia + Dextrose/Maltodextrin) - a type of starch and bulking agent, safe unless you're allergic to corn
-Purevia (Stevia + Dextrose) - dextrose is really benign bulking agent added to some sweeteners. I bought like a 200-pack at Costco for only a few dollars, it has that slight licorice taste that you might dislike.

Stevia in the Raw is common even in non Whole Foods/non Trader Joe's groceries. It's usually in the same aisle as sugar. Olive oil is all good when its raw - plant oils are shit for cooking - with the exception of coconut oil. All Ancient cultures used Lard or Suet/Tallow to cook food, not vegetable-oils. 

6776703.jpg

Edited by YOD
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, YOD said:

All Ancient cultures used Lard or Suet/Tallow to cook food, not vegetable-oils.

YUCK!!!! Greasy and gross! :D

I don't know how people cook with coconut oil, but i don't like it on my vegetables. It's only good on roasted sweet potatoes for me. Occasionally i use it on a toast when i want to  bring out avacodo flavor more))

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

What if I told you.... I put coconut oil in my coffee? :coolspot.001:

------------------

(There are no emoji to express my face right now!)

I've tried it before and i decided not to mess with the gift from the Gods)))))

Will having a spoon of coconut oil before drinking coffee help? :D

I've made it to a better grocery store yesterday and found some better snacks to go with my coffee. Yay! ☕❤

20160804_120646.jpg

• Upvote 1

Cinnamon balances blood sugar and cravings for choc, can be a magnesium deficiency. Just adding Cocoa powder or cacao can fix that.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, M_The_Raven said:

Raw peanut butter and avocado.   And salmon omega 3 are good 

PB - yes!!!! Thank you-thank you! Always have a jar around.

Salmon.... umm.. i don't eat fish anymore. But i do love red caviar. Lol. Should have added this to my confessions :D 

• Upvote 1

No there's no Mercury in the supplements. :).  It's one of those essential vitamins most people don't often get.  It's from fresh salmon typically .  

Its it's not just from fish.  It's also from flax seeds where they extract it from for the supplement I think.  

But salmon don't typically have a lot of mercury. Mostly tuna.   The omega 3 is now in a lot of snacks and sometimes I've seen it.  

Edited by M_The_Raven
  • Upvote 1