Sign in to follow this  
Saturnine_ Angel

I have resistance to my desires

10 posts in this topic

I don't know why but I created a mechanism to repress and suppress my desires every time they arise. I read about the four noble truths of buddism and they say desire is the cause of suffering. But as Teal say in one video is not desire the problem. The problem is when you think you cant have what you want. 

The question is what do I do to accept my desires? How to deal with all the moral questions that arise like two people with two desires that are contrary to each other or two people desiring  one thing that can only be acquired by one of them?

People feel self entitled and stuff like this to protect their desires for finite resources. Not everybody in the world can have all they want because it's not physically possible. And what if one person in the world desire that everyone else dies and he is the king of the world this desire is meant to be also? Desiring  a new job an improvement in our career a good life for us and our relatives is one thing but not all desires are harmless. There are desires that are egotistical and cause harm to a large number of people.

What do you think about desire?

3 minutes ago, Saturnine_ Angel said:

I don't know why but I created a mechanism to repress and suppress my desires every time they arise. I read about the four noble truths of buddism and they say desire is the cause of suffering. But as Teal say in one video is not desire the problem. The problem is when you think you cant have what you want. 

The question is what do I do to accept my desires? How to deal with all the moral questions that arise like two people with two desires that are contrary to each other or two people desiring  one thing that can only be acquired by one of them?

People feel self entitled and stuff like this to protect their desires for finite resources. Not everybody in the world can have all they want because it's not physically possible. And what if one person in the world desire that everyone else dies and he is the king of the world this desire is meant to be also? Desiring  a new job an improvement in our career a good life for us and our relatives is one thing but not all desires are harmless. There are desires that are egotistical and cause harm to a large number of people.

There's a lot to get through so I'll have to go by points.

- In my opinion Teal is 100% correct to contradict Buddhism and other traditions about this. There is nothing that makes sense about being free of all desire. Nothing. It's just a complete fantasy that people have because of things they read and hear about. We will never see such a person because such a person does not exist. Desire drives life itself. We live because we desire to. We eat and drink because we desire to. We breathe because we desire to. And everything else. This is life. Life rests firmly upon a foundation of desires. Any traditions which make such an enemy of desire is then basically anti-life.

- How you accept your desires depends on how you feel about them. I don't know how many of Teal's videos you've watched, but she emphasizes feelings over actual physical things. So basically whenever you think you want an external "thing", what you really want is the feeling that this "thing" has the potential to bring out in you. So identify what feelings you actually want first, and then think about what it will take for you to feel that way. Doing all this introspection work will help close the gap between here and what you want much more efficiently. It's like homing in on a signal. First you have to identify the frequency of the signal as precisely as you can.

- There isn't really a moral issue here. You want what you want. The world is big enough. The world is diverse enough. The world has more than enough resources (yes, it really does, this is a plain economic and material fact). And like Teal says... you getting what makes you happy doesn't detract from anyone elses happiness whatsoever. It adds to it, if anything.

- Many desires aren't pleasant but on a deeper level these aren't really desires, just reactions. The difference between genuine desire and these reactions should be clear in most cases. In other cases, introspection is required.

• Upvote 1

Well, Teal has said before that, suffering is caused by, knowing what you want and going in the opposite direction of it. If we think that, when we want something or have a desire, our higher self, becomes that. It is that huge "canyon" in between us and our higher self that causes the suffering. So I guess, that's why it's important to embrace desire.

Then again, if you watched her youtube video Spirituality 2.0, she says the opposite thing. (this is getting confusing... I 'll stop here.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nuia said:

Well, Teal has said before that, suffering is caused by, knowing what you want and going in the opposite direction of it. If we think that, when we want something or have a desire, our higher self, becomes that. It is that huge "canyon" in between us and our higher self that causes the suffering. So I guess, that's why it's important to embrace desire.

Then again, if you watched her youtube video Spirituality 2.0, she says the opposite thing. (this is getting confusing... I 'll stop here.

I will watch this video. I get really confused about this desire thing. I see sometimes that counsciousness is the opposite of desire. When I meditate and I'm in a state of pure consciousness there's no desire. Then there's desire and the mind comes into play making all the confusion and tricks that get you caught into its web. If the mind was pure and only thought things for the good. I don't know I'm trying to accept my desire as something pure. Observe it and embrace it without the influence of the mind. The mind only repeats the records of your fathers and teachers and whoever has been an ass with you in the past. That are the triggers. You desire something like: I want to be recognized as beautiful and accepted by people I want people to like me. Then the mind comes and say something like: You are never going to have it you dont deserve that you are bad. then you feel miserable like you felt when you was a little child. you are that little child that have been mistreated. The question is how to erase this records and let the mind be your friend saying things like: yes that's going to happen it's already happening dear. How to have a mind that is a friend when you had so many enemies inside your own home and school.

6 minutes ago, MPrado said:

@Saturnine_ Angel @Kroge Just to clarify something important: 

This can be quite confusing and tricking. Lets just blame it on a misinterpretation thanks to a mistranslation. 

We can all have what we want, but do we really know what we desire? thats the question, example: Do you really wanna kill 500 people or the truth of the matter is you want significance? Basically when people want something that can be categorized as wrong or bad or not okey by our personal standards we must look and think twice, because that is a craving or thirst disguised as a desire, that is a lie your ego is feeding you and so you think 'Oh shit am a bad person'. No you are not, what you are is unaware, unaware of what? of what you truly desire. Nobody wants to do 'bad', nobody wants to truly watch the whole world burn, thats a lie, they might want certainty, and how? using control and manipulation, get the point? Its actually brilliant AND through this understanding you unveil evil, there's no such thing as evil, thats just BS.

I don't know how to love posts on this new forum but i really liked your answer :)

14 hours ago, Saturnine_ Angel said:

Desires aren't bad. They are pure. 

You desire something as a result of contrast. "Bad" desires are only urges that are on the way to a desire, but they are compensations to cover the lack of that desire. Wanting to kill other people is a compensation; it's an urge stemming from contrasting experiences. It's not a desire. 

Imagine desire at the very top of your intentions. Imagine it sitting at the place of your higher self. Your higher self immediately becomes what you desire. This means, there is no resistance in it. The things that affect the humanity and the world badly are not the result of reaching desires. They are the result of urges; compensation for a desire. Urges come from lack. And most importantly, urges are acted out when a person ISN'T aware of his/her real, pure desire is. 

Power is a desire, wanting to be a king and ruling over the world is a compensation. 

So, this is why desires aren't bad... it's just a matter of awareness of what a desire is and isn't, that's making the difference. 

Do not suppress any of your wants. Even become aware of your selfish, entitles "desires" - what I mean is urges. Because it'll eventually make you aware of what you truly desire. Urges are still on the way to a desire...

Forgive me if this is all complicated. But I feel I need to write a longer message for it to be clearer.

• Upvote 1

On Sunday, July 24, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Saturnine_ Angel said:

It's physically possible, because the desire hasn't been broken down far enough. Say two people both want a one of a kind piece of art work, I want to tell you that it's possible for both people to meet their desire, and for none of them to end up with the art work.

I'll illustrate how, with an example. Let's say an indistinguishable forgery is made of the artwork ×2. Both people walk away happy, and the reason, is because it wasn't actually the artwork they desired  (they couldn't even distinguish that from a fake) it was the need which the artwork represented that they desired. (Probly significance  in this example) So, you must first narrow down your desire, and it's never really a tangible thing, tangible things are just representative  of your desire.

You don't need the thing that is representative of your desire to meet your desire, many things can be representative of your desire.

• Upvote 1

On Sunday, July 24, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Saturnine_ Angel said:

Say a person desires to blow up the world. It's not really blowing up the world that they desire, it's probably  quite simply  to feel a sense of significance that they desire. ...they've just framed it up that way, probly cause they've been slighted in a great way.

They don't need to blow up the world to meet their desire...just to be more clear about their desire. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WireX said:

It's physically possible, because the desire hasn't been broken down far enough. Say two people both want a one of a kind piece of art work, I want to tell you that it's possible for both people to meet their desire, and for none of them to end up with the art work.

I'll illustrate how, with an example. Let's say an indistinguishable forgery is made of the artwork ×2. Both people walk away happy, and the reason, is because it wasn't actually the artwork they desired  (they couldn't even distinguish that from a fake) it was the need which the artwork represented that they desired. (Probly significance  in this example) So, you must first narrow down your desire, and it's never really a tangible thing, tangible things are just representative  of your desire.

You don't need the thing that is representative of your desire to meet your desire, many things can be representative of your desire.

It's simple amazing the way you put it. Desire is not attached to specific things. It's not the thing you desire in fact many things can fulfill your desire!! So desire in it's purest form is not attached to anything. It's simple and pure bliss! We desire things because we want the sensation of bliss. But desire itself is bliss. Try just to feel desire in its purest form. It's simple bliss and pleasure :)

• Upvote 2