Akurabis

Reason for Blanket Enforcement of Vegetarianism

15 posts in this topic

Hey guys. So I feel like there's a significant reason for vegetarianism that is usually overlooked. I also feel like controversy so I am going to state that if I were in control of the planet, I'd enforce vegetarianism at gunpoint, if need be. The reason is as follows:

It requires an enormous amount of water, land, and fertilizer (not to mention a lot of other costs) to produce a pound of edible flesh. It's grossly inefficient, compared to producing the same nutrients as edible vegetation, to the tune of 1500%. I'm not making this up, and I'm not exaggerating. Please look into this yourself if you are interested.

All, and I mean all (most) social problems associated with overpopulation, deforestation, hunger, poverty, etc, could be eradicated by the enforcement of vegetarianism. It takes something like 80% of all the agricultural space on the planet to raise livestock for slaughter, and it produces less nutrition than the remaining 20% does through vegetation. Anyone who tells you that if the world went vegetarian, it would mean further deforestation simply has no clue.

• Upvote 2

@Akurabis I love to eat vegetables and fruit but sadly it is not as easy you think. If I were to eat only vegetables I would die here due to the amount of pesticides. It is out of control! you might not even believe when I say this. I feel very sad about the resources this country has and not been able to produce healthy food. I don't even like talking about this sad plight :( 

Edited by Teena

Ah but see the problem with pesticides, is that the animals eat a lifetime's worth of feed, and absorb a lifetime's amount of toxins from it, which a human then absorbs when it eats the animal. So you are actually poisoning yourself much quicker :/

Oh how curious, I haven't heard anything about this @walt, I am also type O..

I have to disagree about the polyamory, I don't understand how having multiple connections wouldn't lessen the degree of connectivity to each.

• Upvote 1

I have type O blood and I've been vegan for years and love it - so at least in my case I don't agree with the blood type diet stuff :) I think it's always worth experimenting with diet and seeing what works for you

Edited by AndrewL

4 hours ago, Akurabis said:

Ah but see the problem with pesticides, is that the animals eat a lifetime's worth of feed, and absorb a lifetime's amount of toxins from it, which a human then absorbs when it eats the animal. So you are actually poisoning yourself much quicker :/

And don't forget most livestock also get fed genetically modified grain, another huge danger to humans...

On the topic of meat consumption. I believe if you must kill a creature for food, then you have an obligation to use all of that creature without waste where possible. We have cows next door, they eat organic only , I feed them the spare fruit and the farmer feeds them lots of bananas. That type of farming is ok to me.

I'm with you @Akurabis for the most part. My inclination is to say it should be illegal to sell meat. This ends the corporate abuse of animals, in this situation at least.

Maybe we should go back to Native American style hunting and fishing if we want meat. I'd love to see natural herds of cows and chickens and pigs. Humans have hunted throughout history like some animals. It's part of our history. So, I can't say that eating meat itself is wrong. However, the way we produce meat, breeding living creatures in captivity etc etc, is hostile and unnecessary. 

Meat production facilities, in my opinion, should be outlawed. It's an awful system just stealing money away. Wild animals are free to hunt. Everytime we buy milk, beef , chicken, we literally take money from our own pockets and put it in the hands of people who are abusing animals systematically, bllions of them, in awful conditions their whole lives, and for what... a freaking chicken sandwich we need to eat everyday?  From freaking McDunghole's? No I don't need that. I appreciate that the animal sacrificed his life for my lunch today, the one yesterday too, and the one the day before, and the one who will sacrifice itself tomorrow, but I want them to stop doing that because they don't need to.

What I want anyway is mangoes, tomatoes, and raspberries. Give me spinach with raisins, carrots, onions, banana peppers, apple, and olive oil with a side of french fries. I'll finish it up with an orange. That's good. I'll take a tea to go. I will gladly give that person my money that I work hard for. I can feel good about that.

I get riled up about this sometimes but I also realize that as long as I keep moving forward and doing what is in integrity, I can feel good about myself. There's no need to be shameful about ourselves or anyone else or what we think about others or what others other than the other ones think about the first other ones because we all fucked up along the line I'm sure. I can just be happy with what I do and what I believe in. 

Edited by Adam
Too many f-bombs.

On 7/22/2016 at 2:35 AM, Akurabis said:

@Akurabis but how? Fish comes from the sea and I am sure that is way more healthier than the pesticide vegetables.  I mean toxic is everywhere but I am looking at the least amount of pesticides 

@walt and @Akurabis Polyamory should be an interesting topic! 

I imagine that everything we think we need from meat is available from the food the animals eat or is already in our bodies anyway. We are meat. A bear eating us would probably get some "essential" amino acids. 

Don't listen to me, though. I'm not a nutritionist. However, I do know that vegans are perfectly healthy, and in many cases are healthier than people who eat whatever.

41 minutes ago, walt said:

I try to practice yoga everyday and cardio every other day. I'm having trouble keeping the weight on with the blood diet. I'm open to any alternative to meat that gives me enough physical energy without losing more weight.

Protein shakes are great. Some people don't like tofu but it tends to give me energy whenever I have it. Almond milk or soy milk can give me energy as well. As long as I eat enough I'm usually fine unless I don't get enough sleep.

Edited by Adam

Becoming vegetarian/ vegan is a process for many.  Understand that not everyone has access to the full array of fruits and vegetables that many in the developed countries have. If one is not educated regarding such factors as B-12 deficiencies and the problem with consuming too many grains in the name of veganism..There can be serious complications. A diet heavy in grains can produce a zinc deficiency as well.. The work of Dr. Ananda S Prasad ( Highly regarded in the academic world ) was of extreme benefit to mankind's expansion of awareness on how important trace minerals are in the human diet. There is a growing sense of superiority among vegans that seems to defeat the purpose of becoming vegan.  It's not a matter of getting angry at those who are not vegan. Many new vegans seem to feel they invented the vegan lifestyle..It's been around for centuries and many vegans have been considered weirdo's for years.. lol..  Please be patient with yourself and with others. Blessings