Tessa Rae

THRIFT ONLY Challenge! (test your manifesting skills)

13 posts in this topic

Hey everyone :) 

So, after years of experimenting around, I've created a fun thing that I love doing. It's my favorite way to test my manifesting SKILLZ! (And trust me, I got 'em all right, lol)

It's called, the THRIFT ONLY challenge!

*cue phony audience applause*

This mainly works for clothes for me, but it can also work for anything else you want to try manifesting in your life.

Let's be real. The main reason why we want to manifest crap (lol we all manifest literal crap, daily! hahah ok sorry gross)

The MAIN reason we want to manifest things, is because we are freaking broke or otherwise trying to save money, yeah? That's how it is for me.

I have always loved dressing cute and looking professional, but after working in the mall for a few years I literally feel like burning the mall down every time I go there! :happened.001: I hate the consumer culture we've built here; the likelihood of the things we buy coming from someone who has been exploited somewhere along the way, is way higher than I'd care to think too much about.

A few years ago I accidentally created this challenge, and so I want to see if we can make it a thing!

As a way to save money, I made the decision that I was not going to buy any new clothes. NOPE. I love going to thrift stores so much that I decided, I was only going to look there for my clothes, save for jeans and bras (because those can be a little tricky). With enough time of practicing this, however, i've even gotten pretty skilled at manifesting a killer pair of jeans every once in a while.

When I first started doing this, I hadn't heard of the law of attraction, manifesting, etc. But once I became familiar with manifesting, I started to play around... and what I discovered, is that thrift stores are actually the perfect place to test your manifesting skills :)

How it works:

1. I find myself thinking about a certain item that would be neat to own. In this case, a wardrobe item.

2. looking in the mirror, I would either visualize what that item would look like, or imagine the feeling I'd get once I found the perfect item I was searching for. Actually, this part doesn't even have to be in the mirror. Whatever helps you visualize what item you hope to find. Sometimes, my request would be "a grey t shirt", sometimes "my soul jacket" (really happened, that jacket is the most perfect thing in the world), sometimes i would imagine "grey high waisted pants" (that was a good one, after lots of practice, pants are more difficult especially if they're high waisted).

3. It helps to get a good idea of a sort of 'theme' you are going for in your wardrobe/room/etc. My friend is also a pro at manifesting, and she collects rainbows out the wa-zoo. She seems to always find rainbow stuff easier than I ever do, it's crazy :) Make note of things you like (I like furniture that doesn't look like most furniture looks like, modern things, antique metal bowls and containers, etc in mainly neutral and metallic colors). For clothes, I decided to base all my clothes around my favorite hat. The hat is a tan color with a dark blue nordic snowflake pattern on it. I wear lots of greys, blacks, taupes, olive greens, with a touch of tan and baby pink in there. I have always loved a nice deep green. I like leather (so sue me, i don't feel bad getting it second hand) Focus on the feeling of finding more things that coordinate with what you already own!

4. When you first have the idea to manifest something, give it a few weeks (or possibly even longer). Just wait until you get the feeling that you MUST go thrifting RIGHT NOW. There IS a definite lag time when it comes to thrifting, but it's so worth it. For me it's usually about 2 or 3 weeks till it shows up but sometimes if I need something it shows up sooner.

5. I ask myself, what was I meant to manifest today? Then I go look for it!

I have gotten all sorts of neat things this way, my most proud manifestation being a brand new keyboard upwards of $1500 for only $200. That one took a while to manifest but HOLY COW I freaked out when I saw it. The guy who showed it to me was complaining about how hard it was to assemble; I guess, some dude jus gave away a brand new keyboard, cause you know, he farts cash.

Even if you're just in it for kicks, it's neat to see how many nice things eventually show up once you keep at it.

Keep in mind, you need to be open minded! things aren't always going to look just how you imagine them to look. Other times though, they're startlingly similar or sometimes even better.

This way, I save money but keep my personal look unique by buying the occasional  handmade thing on Etsy or at a flea market...

I want to hear from you guys once you have tried it for a few weeks or so :D happy manifesting! <3

Edited by Tessa Rae
  • Upvote 1

@Tessa Rae Firstly what is a 'thrift shop'? Is it a second hand shop/charity sort of a shop? Please don't get me wrong I am asking purely because I am not aware of this.

3 hours ago, Tessa Rae said:

I have always loved dressing cute and looking professional, but after working in the mall for a few years I literally feel like burning the mall down every time I go there! :happened.001: I hate the consumer culture we've built here; the likelihood of the things we buy coming from someone who has been exploited somewhere along the way, is way higher than I'd care to think too much about.

Is this the only reason that you like to shop from a  'thrift shop'? 

I am just curious 

Just now, Teena said:

@Tessa Rae Firstly what is a 'thrift shop'? Is it a second hand shop/charity sort of a shop? Please don't get me wrong I am asking purely because I am not aware of this.

Is this the only reason that you like to shop from a  'thrift shop'? 

I am just curious 

Yeah! A second hand shop :) 

Why do I love thrift shops?

Well... to be honest, I also love witnessing my manifesting skills (we all have it in us to manifest)... I feel like, it's easier for me to become a match to something that I want, but otherwise couldn't afford, through all the different people who end up donating something they no longer need. I feel like it's easier to 'tap into' the collective, and send out my desire, so it becomes easier for someone who might be on the fence about giving something away, to go with the 'pull' to just get rid of it. 

Who knows the real reason though, I've always felt drawn to it... I get MOST my clothes from there, but on occasion I get pants/lingerie new.

I get it might be weird for people who are more sensitive to the energy of used possessions. For me personally though, I love how there's so much more of a variety there, not the same old options like when you go into any department store. 

Plus... there's some really weird/ugly stuff there sometimes haha. It's nice to be entertained while you go shopping. ;)

@Tessa Rae thank you very much for sharing such a beautiful insight 

I have never thought of second hand shops like that lol I was never attracted to buy anything because I had this notion (coming from my culture) that you attract bad energy if the person who used them was bad especially if the person is dead because they say our lives will decay as the dead body decays. Although my friend bought stuff I've never bought any. 

Now regarding manifestation trust me I've tried it when I first started reading stuff about LOA.  I have watched hundreds of videos on manifesting too but I think there is more to attracting what we want/desire.

7 hours ago, Tessa Rae said:

For clothes, I decided to base all my clothes around my favorite hat. The hat is a tan color with a dark blue nordic snowflake pattern on it. 

LOL

@Tessa Rae thank you for the suggestions.  I wish i knew about all this before. I recently moved back to the states and just spent a fortune on new clothes. My boyfriend doesn't know yet... i bought couple ties for him. I hope he likes them.

7 hours ago, Tessa Rae said:

I like leather (so sue me, i don't feel bad getting it second hand) 

What a great idea.

My friends are getting married soon. They haven't announced it yet. So, i am thinking i should plan ahead and start looking for more sophisticated clothes.

Omg i need to manifest a good bag. Thinking about something like the one on a photo... i  have another MK bag and i like the quality of it. Thinking about python next. Maybe. Looks grown up and fancy :D

Also i need something for an evening date. I have nothing to wear! Girls help!!!

20160720_103228.png

• Upvote 1

my partner and I have been sleeping on a thin, saggy full size mattress. The size above twin, like for one adult, for one and a half years. Sleep was terrible, and we were both saving up money to buy a new, nice one. After learning about manifesting, and being in a positive vibration, I decided I wouldnt worry about buying a new bed. It would come when it was ready. And within maybe two weeks of that decision, and not saving money for it anymore, my partner who is a mover got a free bed from a customer who wanted to buy an upgrade. It was a king size, fluffy ;plush wonderful bed. I love it. I love manifesting. I love being in control of my world.

• Upvote 5

Aaaah, I love this challenge!  I love thrifting and DIY and Upcycle and all of that stuff.  For some reason, I often have more luck at thrift stores finding clothes that fit and that I like thatn when I go to the store to buy new.   My battery is about to die, but Im gonna be back....

Also, for folks who are weirded out for cultural reasons or other reasons about wearing 2nd hand clothes  (my grandma grew up very poor and when she grew up she wouldnt wear 2nd hand clothes)..... You can do a "thrift only" challenge with decorating, or a DIY project, or.....any number of things...

• Upvote 2

It’s been said that 93% of all communication between humans is non-verbal.  I personally interpret this to include “up on the astral.”  Maybe we meet up, discuss things, plan things, and it pans out from there.  I don’t know whether this is correct or not, but there has to be some mechanic at play setting up these synchronicities. 

In reality this is the very subject that brought me to The Completion Process: manifesting.  I have had times in my life where I’ve pulled off literal miracles, the most recent being a few years ago when I needed emergency surgery for my Shih Tzu.  It carried a $500 price tag, and I just didn’t have the money, nor did I have any clue where to get it.  But I was driven and committed; I was going to create that money and there was no “what if” about it.  Within 5 hours my girlfriend won exactly $500 playing some silly Spider Solitaire tournament on a web site.  The surgery went off without a hitch, we paid for it in full, and our little puppy-face is still bopping around like new.  Anyway what was driving me bananas was knowing what I was capable of in the manifestation department, then knowing I wasn’t doing it today.  So what was in the way? 

In my experience, all it really takes is a firm commitment, and the universe takes over from there.  It guides us via synchronicities and sudden urges to do this or go there or turn that way, and we end up encountering what we need to encounter.  As far as I’ve ever seen, 100% of the work involved in each journey we take (toward manifesting a given goal) involves clearing away whatever blockages are in the way.  That’s because there’s really nothing else needing to be done.  Once the blockages are cleared, manifestation is more or less a given.  The trick is to realize that any sudden “explosion” of activity in your life, right after firmly setting a goal, is most probably the wheels kicking into motion and the cleanup process beginning so we can clear the road ahead and get where we said we wanted to be.

Edited by Dirty_Harry
  • Upvote 3

On 7/20/2016 at 8:47 AM, Guest said:

THIS:

@AbbeyDawn  Get ready for this. Your life is about to change forever.....  

shopgoodwill.com

also, tradesy.com  but shopgoodwill is where you can get the INSANE deals.

Most everything at the MK level is authentic, but once you start getting into Louis Vuitton and Chanel, you have to pay close attention.  

I got an AUTHENTIC Fendi vintage python clutch, New with Tags, for $90.  Its a $2,000+ bag, and its still got the price-tags to prove it.  God, it was exquisite.  Truly.  But much too posh for my current lifestyle, so it went to a consignment shop, and I expect to make a profit....

Here are the warnings:  Have a budget.  Know your prices.  Start to get to know brands, and browse tradesy to make sure you're getting a good deal.  The bidding can get competitive on certain brands and for certain items and if you get to that level and are gonna throw down $500 you might as well get it off tradesy which comes with their guarantee of authenticity.  

Michael Kors is EASY PEASY on shopgoodwill.com.  The bidding on this adorable  MK clutch is $9.99 at the time of this writing.  A world of wonder awaits you....

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Michael-Kors---Beige--Black-Clutch-Purse-32650300.html

168743227113943ha.JPG

Love this topic. I am glad my husband never knew how much had been spent when our son was a baby :D

And he still doesn't know :D

I hope.

• Upvote 1

On 7/20/2016 at 5:30 AM, Tessa Rae said:

I have gotten all sorts of neat things this way, my most proud manifestation being a brand new keyboard upwards of $1500 for only $200. That one took a while to manifest but HOLY COW I freaked out when I saw it. The guy who showed it to me was complaining about how hard it was to assemble; I guess, some dude jus gave away a brand new keyboard, cause you know, he farts cash.

Dang-!  That is super impressive.  And such a great win, cuz like, you KNOW that was NOT a coincidence....

And couldnt agree more re: thrifting makes me feel abundant.  1) I HATE paying retail, even if I have the $$ to do so 2) you can pick up really neat and unique items, like you were saying, that you're just NEVER gonna find in a store right now, 3) AND you can just get so much more.  Whether its more stuff FROM the thrift store, or having more $$ in the pocket to spend on other people. 

And, "Soul coat"  omg....omg..... I found my "soul coat" at this huge messy thrift store outside of Santa Barbara.  It was a gorgeous, classy, vintage beige long 60's style coat (think Jackie O) with big brown buttons, but it was timelessly styled so you  couldnt really tell it was vintage unless you looked at the tag inside.  And it fit me perfectly.  I got so many compliments on it, and it definitely "looked" expensive (it probably was.....originally)

• Upvote 2

haha yessss! @WildSage here's to finding your soul coat! Mine looks like a big nordic sweater that's white and has snowflake like patterns on it <3 I like squealed when I first saw it hehe :) Shout out to @Garnet too ^-^ I wish I could go thrifting with you guys c:

More inspiration... I had to find a formal dress for a wedding a few years back and ended up finding this GORGEOUS silver dress that was kind of 50's style at goodwill for $10. I bought it on a whim because I loved it, and showed it to my mom and grandma who proceeded to be like "gasp! It's a Laura Ashley!" 

The wedding was gorgeous and turned out to be a beautiful, emotional experience. My family had seen a lot of tragedy since the last time we got to see many of my other family members. We laughed together and cried together in our reunion... I still have those amazing memories come to mind when I see that dress. It was so girly and it was fun to be all dainty :nsallears.001:

il_570xN.768653469_q45x.jpg

• Upvote 2