William Wyatt

Am I with the right therapist?

Am I with the right therapist?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. My therapist is really into healing childhood trauma, finding our most fundamental sense of authenticity and connecting with our true inner selves. However he's more grounded in western empiricism, reason and evidence based philosophy, and is critical of eastern mysticism. Am I with the right therapist?

12 posts in this topic

My therapist is really into healing childhood trauma, finding our most fundamental sense of authenticity and connecting with our true inner selves. However he's more grounded in western empiricism, reason and evidence based philosophy.  He believes that the spirit world is our subjective imagination and intuition/subconscious pattern recognition. He believe that we empirically very external reality using the scientific method. He follows first principles, that there is an objective reality independent of our subjective experience. He does value the subjective experience, but only to the extent that it is implemented into the objective world. He is quite critical of determinism, more in favor of free will or compatibilism. 

He charges me $50 per hour session, which is considerably cheaper than most licensed psychs. He rejects psychiatry on many levels, and actively speaks about the dangers psychiatric medication. He believes that it's morally wrong to spank, shout, humiliate or traditionally punish a child in any way. He thinks that we act as a guide for the child to understand themselves and the external world. He believes that wrongdoings should be handled with compassion, understanding and any consequences should be handles through giving restitution or compensation. Helping the child to fully understand how to peacefully interact in the world. Which he believes can operate purely through give/take mutual exchange, rendering governments obsolete... 

He has some great videos, some of which have some controversial perspectives on certain topics. Similarly to Teals critique of how certain people interpret/implement law of attraction. Steven uses meditation techniques associated with inner child heal, BUT he is quite critical eastern mysticism, shutting off all thoughts and just being, very critical of eckhart tolle. He believes it is dissociative. Is this a red flag? is he ripping me off? is he wrong about reality? Will he send me down the wrong path? 

Therapists are very influential in their clients lives and your intuition is on point with this. I still have moments where I question my feelings and decision,  I think many of us do.  I try to remind myself that my intuition has always steered me in the right direction,  and when I have gone against it, I end up saying "I knew I shouldn't have done this" or "I had a feeling that was going to happen". I can tell you are an intelligent person and have a good understanding of the different factors involved. The feeling I get from reading this is that you may already feel a red-flag in this situation and your intuition is telling you something is not right or the therapist is not a good fit for you. There are so many therapists out there and you will know when you have found the right one,  just trust in your own feelings :)

do you feel safe around him? do you feel that he validates your emotions? do you feel that he can be present with you whatever emotion or state of being or thought arises? does your intuition say that going to him is something someone who loves themselves would do? if any of these questions is answered with no, i for myself would start searching for another practitioner or option if i were you. if you can honestly say yes to all, and your intuition says that is the place you're supposed to be, then stay ;)

This is a personal question. If you feel as though his therapy does not serve you on your particular spiritual journey, then you must find a new therapist. (Or practice a method of self-therapy/re-integration). Your intuition will tell you this. In fact, it probably already has.

My intuition doesn't tell me things concretely, it perceives patterns, connections and possibilities. My truth comes more in what I feel to be emotionally authentic, and that also changes depending on my mood. My intuitions conflict and transform. 

He sees is job as to teach me now to become my own self therapist, because he doesn't want me to become dependent on him. 
He is very calm and compassionate. Much of my stems from fear of negative possibilities. I am afraid of losing thousands of dollars on therapy. 

But at least I know I can take a break at any time. 

• Upvote 1

The occidental mindset is a funny development indeed. Did you know that our modern word psyche comes from the ancient greek ψυχή (psu-khe) which meant soul? 

On 6/10/2016 at 1:09 PM, William Wyatt said:

He believes that the spirit world is our subjective imagination and intuition/subconscious pattern recognition.

There shouldn't be such a divide between occident and orient. I believe it comes from a certain influence which caused people to imagine the spirit world as some "other place" where you get a robe and harp. Maybe try to work with him on his definitions.

• Upvote 1

On 6/18/2016 at 7:23 AM, Akurabis said:

The occidental mindset is a funny development indeed. Did you know that our modern word psyche comes from the ancient greek ψυχή (psu-khe) which meant soul? 

There shouldn't be such a divide between occident and orient. I believe it comes from a certain influence which caused people to imagine the spirit world as some "other place" where you get a robe and harp. Maybe try to work with him on his definitions.

I'm all about the western key and the eastern vibe. 

In logical terms its essentially saying that a demon you see in your dreams can't actually come into your waking life in any physical sense. They don't deny that the mental experience of seeing a demon is valid, but they would deny that the demon has to ability to literally stab you. 

So in more spiritual terminology, the spirit world cannot make direct contact with the material plane, we can however, transform the material plane to replicate the spirit world. our minds access the higher dimensions and our bodies alter the physical reality and raise it's frequency. 

4 hours ago, William Wyatt said:

So in more spiritual terminology, the spirit world cannot make direct contact with the material plane, we can however, transform the material plane to replicate the spirit world. our minds access the higher dimensions and our bodies alter the physical reality and raise it's frequency. 

Did you know that our word demon comes from the ancient greek daimon, and check this out: When describing someone who was abnormally happy, carefree, and all around excellent, they would call him a eudaimon (eu being the prefix for "good"). Literally saying this person has "good demons."

The concept of eudaimonia.

8 hours ago, Akurabis said:

Did you know that our word demon comes from the ancient greek daimon, and check this out: When describing someone who was abnormally happy, carefree, and all around excellent, they would call him a eudaimon (eu being the prefix for "good"). Literally saying this person has "good demons."

The concept of eudaimonia.

I could have said spaghetti monster, freddie krueger, psycho killer etc etc... I'm glad that it interests you :) But its' really besides the point I was making. What is your actual opinion of the understanding of reality that I presented?  

Edited by William Wyatt