uclasteven1

Follow Your Joy or Addiction?

Follow Your Joy or Addiction?

How can I tell if doing what I want to do is “following my joy” or just an impulse to feed my addictive behavior?

I feel I am addicted to videogames, to the point that I’ve missed sleep, avoided social situations, and missed work days to play videogames. I get confused when I hear that I should “follow my joy” and “do what feels good” when all I can think about is playing more videogames. I’m trying to quit gaming, but now I feel worse, and I think I was using gaming to cope with deep feelings of loneliness, grief, and powerlessness. Is playing videogames justified if it helps me to cope with a painful situation I’m stuck in, even if it continues my addictive pattern? How do I even figure out what gives me joy when all I can hear in my mind is the scream of my addiction telling me to play more videogames?

What brings you joy in actual life? I believe that the phrase "follow your joy" is meant for moving your body towards something.  I'll help you get started: What's your favourite food? 

If your fridge is currently empty, where do your like to shop? Or do you live with parents?

Do you purchase your video games online or at a Game Stop? You can meet many likeminded folks browsing at a store... perhaps you can exchange games and equipment. 

Wishing you the best.