Narcissism Test

I was worried if I was a narcissistic person (a sociopath or psychopath maybe), then I took the following test:

https://openpsychometrics.org/tests/NPI/

I scored 4 of 40. It means that I don't have narcissistic traits (just from a test perspective). The average score of a US Adult is 15.3.

Sometimes I get confused because I feel like I'm a bad person (mainly when I talk to my mother or to any relative). I don't know about the accuracy of these tests, but I hope I'm not a narcissistic person. I just want to heal myself.

Oooh, sweet! I love me a personality test. And I love the topic of Narcissism. There's no better topic for shadow-work, in my eyes.

Let's see... I'm 10 out of 40. I sit just near middle of the average, judging from the graphs at the end; scored higher than '40.1' of the sample (which I presume is a percentage figure). I'm glad they point out that it's a self-selecting sample, hate it when people fail to include that kind of background on statistics-gathering.

It sounds like you're pretty likely not narcissistic, 4 is a very low number. I'll say one thing; you say you feel like you're a bad person when talking to your mother or a relative? Do you feel that way when you speak to other people outside that group, and what do you think is motivating that thought? Is it them saying so directly or indirectly, or... is it maybe more happening from self-talk? Like, where's that bad feeling coming from, them or you? To even ask 'am I a Narcissist' itself helps suggest that you're probably not. And thinking you're a bad person is definately not something that's often related to being one.

Edited by Done Now

....Feel like I'm a bad person is a bit vague....

Assuming you uncomfortable with giving a little more detail. Do a little self reflection and weight it out. Life is full of conflicting influences that make you neither good or bad.

Here's a couple of questions.

What did you do to 'feel' like a 'bad' person?

What didn't you do to 'feel' like a 'bad' person?

Did the people you mentioned feel the same way or is it just how you 'think' they judged you action or lack of action or BOTH?

What was the net impact on them and you? IE. You broke a prized irreplaceable family vase versus you couldn't find the right coffee at the supermarket. One might get you shot, the other wouldn't be much trouble (Just joking, but some people actually would say the wrong coffee is the worse offense).

I got five.

I think personality traits are better explained with astrology, life cards, Human Design etc. Psychology is always grasping at straws and pharmaceuticals.

On 2/6/2019 at 5:35 PM, LonelyWolf said:

Narcissism Test

I was worried if I was a narcissistic person (a sociopath or psychopath maybe), then I took the following test:

https://openpsychometrics.org/tests/NPI/

I scored 4 of 40. It means that I don't have narcissistic traits (just from a test perspective). The average score of a US Adult is 15.3.

Sometimes I get confused because I feel like I'm a bad person (mainly when I talk to my mother or to any relative). I don't know about the accuracy of these tests, but I hope I'm not a narcissistic person. I just want to heal myself.

No. Stop this!

Here is the feeling I get:

The one and only reason you feel like a "bad person" is when you are confronted to your mother and relatives... because THEY project things that belong to them upon you. 

In other words dear, your family does'nt seem to know you and love you unconditionally.

My advice would be to keep this in mind, take some inner distance with them AND most importantly: spend time with the people who make you feel good, period.

cheers

Deneb

I got 23 😖

I think I was choosing more in terms of what I would like to be (respected, authoritative, confident, significant). I sometimes get confused about myself. My mother has always labelled me as selfish and self-centred since I was young. I was also labelled as smart and special. But at the same time I have a very low self-esteem. But I am also complacent and over-confident at certain occasions, although whenever I felt that way it was usually followed by failure or disappointment... So messed up!

I write down what I'm thinking in my notebook and it helps me work though it just write down what you really feel but don't be too harsh or judgemental on yourself. We all want to be good people and when your aware of past mistakes you can learn another way of interacting with people. I'm speaking from my own experience I'm not really that aware of other peoples perceptial realities. (I think its called idk lol)

On 2/10/2019 at 12:14 PM, Eveslofl said:

I got 23 😖

I think I was choosing more in terms of what I would like to be (respected, authoritative, confident, significant). I sometimes get confused about myself. My mother has always labelled me as selfish and self-centred since I was young. I was also labelled as smart and special. But at the same time I have a very low self-esteem. But I am also complacent and over-confident at certain occasions, although whenever I felt that way it was usually followed by failure or disappointment... So messed up!

Well that sounds familiar! I don't think it sounds messed up.

Everyone's shaped by their past. But at the same time, nobody's past dictates who they turn into in the future.

Being self-reflective of where you're at is the only way of making a realistic picture of how to find and get to wherever it is you want to be. If there's contradictions in your concept of self... well, they're always good to calmly look at for a while, see how they work and why they're there.

Basically, if you're confused about yourself, don't be down 'bout it, be introspective about it. 'sall good.