Dannika

Books on Spirituality

Books on Spirituality

I have been reading a lot of books about spirituality naming Witchcraft, Self-help etc and one thing has fascinated me for a long time. For example, atm I am reading about Luciferian Witchcraft  by  Michael Ford and what strikes me is how many people loath this man and slam his books. I have noticed the same with other book authors. Why do people loath a certain author and put them down as fake and a liar? Isn't it is that if a book resonates with you, then that is all that matters? I can't read Eckhart Tolle's book because they don't resonate with me, but that that mean the man is a fake? Other read him just fine. Just curious about it.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with that, I read all kinds of authors from the Dalai Lama to authors on the Occult.

On the Occult, I recommend Peter J Carroll and Kenneth Grant. The Peter Carroll books even come with their own tarot deck.

I don't resonate with Luciferian ideology. I consider myself a Gnostic: I venerate the light. A Gnostic Luciferian seeks Enlightenment only to turn away from it--back towards materialistic pursuits for their own indulgence. To each their own, I always say.

The idea is that according to the Gnostics the most evil thing you could do is turn your back on the light (back towards materialism). By doing so, at least in the mind of a Luciferian, they become a living embodiment of evil (their number is 666). Luciferians don't see Ultimate Reality or Source as being all that special or profound. They'd rather indulge in the pleasure of the senses and of the flesh. Or they're just into the Occult for weird sex. To each their own, I always say.

But don't ask me, I'm only half evil! 😉

That is, I believe in balance. I recognize I'm a living embodiment of both light and dark forces in the universe. Therefore, in my mind, goodness is a balancing act between the light and the dark forces of nature (not in one conquering the other). Of course, I also believe we can't get by in this world without paying the Devil his dues. At some point, he's going to collect his pound of flesh. To each his own, I always say.

~And his number was 333 because he was evil and sort of a half ass!

1 hour ago, Broken_Mirror33 said:

Nothing wrong with that, I read all kinds of authors from the Dalai Lama to authors on the Occult.

On the Occult, I recommend Peter J Carroll and Kenneth Grant. The Peter Carroll books even come with their own tarot deck.

I don't resonate with Luciferian ideology. I consider myself a Gnostic: I venerate the light. A Gnostic Luciferian seeks Enlightenment only to turn away from it--back towards materialistic pursuits for their own indulgence. To each their own, I always say.

The idea is that according to the Gnostics the most evil thing you could do is turn your back on the light (back towards materialism). By doing so, at least in the mind of a Luciferian, they become a living embodiment of evil (their number is 666). Luciferians don't see Ultimate Reality or Source as being all that special or profound. They'd rather indulge in the pleasure of the senses and of the flesh. Or they're just into the Occult for weird sex. To each their own, I always say.

But don't ask me, I'm only half evil! 😉

That is, I believe in balance. I recognize I'm a living embodiment of both light and dark forces in the universe. Therefore, in my mind, goodness is a balancing act between the light and the dark forces of nature (not in one conquering the other). Of course, I also believe we can't get by in this world without paying the Devil his dues. At some point, he's going to collect his pound of flesh. To each his own, I always say.

~And his number was 333 because he was evil and sort of a half ass!

Thanks for the reply. The authors I will have a look at. From what I have read so far about Luciferian I have not come across what you have described but I should read more about it. I enjoy reading about different paths without adopting one myself.

• Like 1

The choice is yours! (Free will, that is.) Remember, if one is not in opposition or an adversary of the light, then there's no need to be a Luciferian, lol! Luciferianism is a recent phenomenon it is an outgrowth of the Church of Satan. Unlike Kabbalism, Hermeticism, Gnosticism, or Freemasonry (which can be described as Hermetic Kabbalism, i.e. Christian esotericism) there is no historical precedent for Luciferianism. I'd advise that you stick to the older traditions and/or Chaos Magic (a form of modern-day witchcraft). But that doesn't mean you can't learn a lot from Luciferian ideology, they borrow much from these older traditions. If not, they'd have nothing to be in opposition to! You can't be an adversary of the light without the light, lol!

*I also highly recommend Gordon White's books on Chaos Magic, they are very approachable.

• Like 1

I never wrote that  I am a Luciferian. My post was merely to see why people trash certain authors. I read a lot and Luciferian just came to my attention. I don't intend to adopt any spiritual title such as witch, healer or whatever someone wants/needs to call themselves. I am simply fascinated as to why people trash a certain spiritual path or author. I think because it is not mainstream certain authors or believes get trashed. Every spiritual path: Witchcraft, Druidry you name it, they all borrow from one another. 

• Like 1

No, I wasn't suggesting you were. I was speaking hypothetically, of course. (As someone who was merely interested in the subject.) Why do people trash a certain spiritual path or author?

Well, I suppose some spiritual paths/teachers resonate with us and some don't. For instance, I've watched several of Eckhart Tolle's teachings and found them to be rather mediocre. Then again, I can watch teachings by Jiddu Krishnamurti all day long (and I have). As far as books (on Buddhism) I prefer those written by the Dalai Lama or another high Lama (such as Lama Yeshe or Lama Zopa Rinpoche). The reason being that I'd rather hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak. That and I simply get the most out of authors such as these. By that I mean, I usually learn something profound. So teachings by these authors just resonate with me, I guess.

Witchcraft and the Occult is a whole other ballgame and piecing together the teachings from the Western esoteric tradition is like trying to solve a jigsaw puzzle. There is no "spiritual authority" to get the authoritative teachings from. You have to find teachers/authors who resonate with you and have something meaningful/profound to say. But as far as contemporary magic or witchcraft is concerned, my "go to" author right now is Peter Carroll. I also like a lot of what Gordon White has to say on the subject, and I'm more or less following the blueprint he's laid out in one of his books. So, I'm essentially using this author's recommendations to weed through source material in order to find the more "authoritative" sources on the subject.

So these could be several reasons for choosing one author over another. In my mind, it really comes down to "who's got the goods?" So, more or less, I go after the primary source material and try to avoid intermediary or secondary source material whenever possible. I can't speak for anybody else, but this is much of the reasoning behind my bias.

Of course, the reason I like Teal so much is that I'm a bit of a psychology buff and, aside from her pop psychology take on things, she adds a good sprinkling of esoteric teachings to go along with it. She's one of those teachers who's a bottomless pit: an infinite reflection of source. Yeah, I think she's one of the most exciting things to happen to the New Age movement since Krishnamurti. And she's a little witchy, herself! 😉

Edited by Broken_Mirror33
punctuation
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dannika said:

I think because it is not mainstream certain authors or believes get trashed.

I avoid our "mainstream" culture whenever possible. Anytime you apply the ignorance of the masses to a spiritual teacher or tradition it becomes corrupt.

I believe it was Aldous Huxley who said something to that effect. So, yeah, I have no doubt there are some amazing authors/spiritual teachers off of mainstream's radar just waiting to be discovered.

In fact, I'll have to take another look at Michael Ford he just may be one, but I've just never heard of him. I know of Jason Louv, have you heard of him? 

Thanks for your insight Broken. I understand it all a bit better. I don't know why Michael Ford came to me to read his books but they did and I believe they have something to teach me. Sometimes video's work better for me then books and sometimes it is the books that do the same. I will have a look at the authors you pointed out. And no, I have never heard of Jason Loud, so will look him up too.  I love teal and her videos and her Frequencies cards are always spot on. As I said, I am not one to follow a certain path, I just wing things and take whatever comes may way avoiding giving myself a title/name such as witch/druid etc. There again The Goddess Morrighan haunts my dreams at times so I did read most of the books I could find on her. 🤪.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 3:18 AM, Dannika said:

Why do people loath a certain author and put them down as fake and a liar? Isn't it is that if a book resonates with you, then that is all that matters?

Depends on how people make money. Notice how there are videos on YouTube about other youtubers. Some pick up on positive side and make money with it, others pick up on negative side and also make money with it! When there is an audience, there is a product to suit it.

• Like 1