DIY Tarot

I have a few very nice tarot decks I bought along the years and I have dabbled with it a little.  cards by 

The decks I have are: The Goddess Tarot by Kris Waldherr

The Book of Shadows by Barbara moore and of course Teal's deck that I use a lot. They are by far out my favourite deck out there.

Medicine cards and Sacred Path by Jamie Sams. I also have Chakra reading cards and an oracle wisdom cards.

Over the years I have read some books but what they told me is that you can't draw cards for yourself.?

So my questions are: Can you DIY Tarot? Books on Tarot how to DIY ? How do you teach yourself tarot. I don't have anyone near me that can teach me.

• Like 1

Yes, you can draw your own cards and do your own readings. The main thing in the beginning is memorizing the different meanings of the cards (any Tarot book will do). That's where everybody starts basically. Then you can learn to do the different spreads. (The easiest is a three card spread representing past, present, and future.)

I interpret the suits this way:

Wands correspond to the 3rd eye chakra, the center of spiritual foresight. It's element is [ethereal] fire (i.e. light).

Swords correspond to the heart chakra, the center of identity (I think, therefore I am). It's element is air.

Cups correspond to the second chakra, the center of the emotional body. It's element is water.

Pentacles correspond to the root chakra, the center of our urges, our baseness. It's element is earth.

You can think of the minor arcana (10's through Aces) as all vibrating at different frequency levels. With the 10's being the weakest or most fragmented and the Aces being the strongest or least fragmented. Thus, a 10 represents an aspect of ourselves that is out of alignment, while an Ace represents that aspect which is most in alignment with Source.

That's the easy part. The next is memorizing the special meanings of the 22 major arcana (any tarot book should do, in fact, use this: The Major Arcana). The major arcana aren't associated with any particular suit, so they only have the meaning that has been assigned to them. Oracle decks just use the 22 major arcana to interpret the meaning of the spread.

Enjoy!

9 hours ago, Broken_Mirror33 said:

Yes, you can draw your own cards and do your own readings. The main thing in the beginning is memorizing the different meanings of the cards (any Tarot book will do). That's where everybody starts basically. Then you can learn to do the different spreads. (The easiest is a three card spread representing past, present, and future.)

I interpret the suits this way:

Wands correspond to the 3rd eye chakra, the center of spiritual foresight. It's element is [ethereal] fire (i.e. light).

Swords correspond to the heart chakra, the center of identity (I think, therefore I am). It's element is air.

Cups correspond to the second chakra, the center of the emotional body. It's element is water.

Pentacles correspond to the root chakra, the center of our urges, our baseness. It's element is earth.

You can think of the minor arcana (10's through Aces) as all vibrating at different frequency levels. With the 10's being the weakest or most fragmented and the Aces being the strongest or least fragmented. Thus, a 10 represents an aspect of ourselves that is out of alignment, while an Ace represents that aspect which is most in alignment with Source.

That's the easy part. The next is memorizing the special meanings of the 22 major arcana (any tarot book should do, in fact, use this: The Major Arcana). The major arcana aren't associated with any particular suit, so they only have the meaning that has been assigned to them. Oracle decks just use the 22 major arcana to interpret the meaning of the spread.

Enjoy!

Thanks Broken. What I do now is draw a card each day and read about the card. The deck I love is The book of shadows deck by Barbara Moore so I am using that. I know from what I read about tarot that most start with the Raider deck but I just can't get a feeling towards the deck at all. Is it possible that I put down the card of the day on this forum and get feedback?

• Like 1

Sure. I'll give you feedback on the major arcana :)

Crowd sourcing the tarot is a good idea, you'll get several different perspectives on each card :)

Edited by Broken_Mirror33
  • Like 1

In terms of symbolism, the thing I notice immediately is the magic circle.

The chariot represents the soul's journey same with the magic circle. Like the soul the circle is a paradox--no beginning, no end, but bounded.

The caster is holding her right hand up in victory and her left hand down in defeat, which denotes the two outcomes of a struggle.

(In the Waite deck this is denoted by the white and black sphinxes.)

Self-control, will power, and determination are all words used to describe the inner struggle of the soul.

Edited by Broken_Mirror33
typo; add content

Actually, are you sure that's supposed to be the chariot in your deck? The 8th major arcana is strength in the Rider deck.

Even so, will power could apply to either as it relates to inner strength. And the magick circle is also a symbolic representation of infinity, which corresponds to at least some of the symbolism in the Waite deck.

7 hours ago, Broken_Mirror33 said:

In terms of symbolism, the thing I notice immediately is the magic circle.

The chariot represents the soul's journey same with the magic circle. Like the soul the circle is a paradox--no beginning, no end, but bounded.

The caster is holding her right hand up in victory and her left hand down in defeat, which denotes the two outcomes of a struggle.

Self-control, will power, and determination are all words used to describe the inner struggle of the soul.

Yes,you are right. It is the card Strength. The booklet says: Spellcasting. Mastering yourself.Creating change. And that is where I am at the moment in my life. I recently moved from a city to a village, leaving everyone I know behind. I so enjoy my new home. I have a front garden and a back garden and an attic and I love waking up in the morning 'feeling' my house and feeling safe. It is funny, but when I have been out and I come back home, I touch the wall of my house and greet my house. It has been a very very long time I have had my own home. But building a new network is hard. So,yes, I am struggling at times with my new life. 

• Like 1

Of course you can learn it yourself. I got my first tarot deck when I was 8 years old, and have since learned to read the cards through a personal practice as well as reading for others. In terms of resources, you can find a ton of books explaining the meaning of the different cards (whether you're using Marseille, RWS or Thoth). I recommend the book 'Tarot 101' by Kim Huggens, because it helps you develop a more personal relationship with the cards. 'Psychic Tarot' by Nancy Antenucci also has some great exercises. There's also a huge community of readers on youtube and other online platforms. You can find everything from spreads to general guidelines to interpretations/meditations on aspects of the different cards.

It's a world of references to dive into, and I wish you all the best of luck on your journey :)

An interesting aspect I just learned about the Fool is that supposedly the Fool is in every Tarot Card, or rather can be thought of as being in every card. This does make sense, however, considering that it is the Fool's journey, lol!

So far this conversation seems headed in the right direction but there are many things being left out.  The Tarot deck is based in sacred geometry and numerology as well.  the ten cards being the ten points of the tree of life  (minor Arcana) and the "face cards" (to borrow from their descendant playing card decks) keeping the fractal of the elements going. Four suits and a page, knight, queen and king for each. allowing for a 4x4 with the corresponding elements Fire, Air, Water, and Earth. 4 kings 4 queens 4 knights and 4 pages each with their own corresponding tree. even the Major Arcana follow the numerology as seen in the Lovers and the Devil. the lovers being VI or six and the devil being XV or 15. numerically both equal 6, also if you translate the digits as they are it is 5 and 1 for the lovers and 10 and 5 for the devil.  in numerology the number 0 is not used, so the numbers become 5 and 1 & 1 and 5. they mirror each other both  numerically and visually as both have an over soul connecting two individuals. 

just another in the many systems that formulate the concept of Tarot.

I am referring to the Rider Waite Deck btw...