wootton98

Trouble Meditating.

5 posts in this topic

Trouble Meditating.

I have been meditating for 3 years now. Although up until recently I have been struggling with my mindfulness meditation (which I have been practicing for a while), the more present I become ..I begin to feel my jaw clenching and my neck tensing up and it makes meditating very hard..even quite uncomfortable..has anybody else experienced this? 

I don't experience physical discomfort. I experience mental discomfort. Whenever I meditate, all of these dark uncontrollable thoughts pass through my mind and it's so much easier to think positively when I don't meditate. Clearly, that meas that I need to meditate a lot more to stop attracting these negative thoughts! Because whenever I do meditate a lot I think negative thoughts a lot less. So I think your physical discomfort is a sign that you have a lot of resistance to something and I think that means that you need to meditate a lot more and then I think that once you meditate a lot more the pain might go away. But I don't really know. That's just a guess. Also, maybe just meditate while lying down on your bed like in whatever position you fall asleep in so maybe then your neck won't hurt. I always meditate while lying down.

Maybe you need to combine some meditation styles of which there are many. Consider the  trinity of Mind, Body and Soul/Spirit. Maybe you've been too focused on the mind and spirit, when the body may need your attention.  If you're tensing up, perhaps start by meditating with the intent to relax the body first. Don't ignore your own signals.

On 1/2/2019 at 12:05 AM, wootton98 said:

Trouble Meditating.

I have been meditating for 3 years now. Although up until recently I have been struggling with my mindfulness meditation (which I have been practicing for a while), the more present I become ..I begin to feel my jaw clenching and my neck tensing up and it makes meditating very hard..even quite uncomfortable..has anybody else experienced this? 

When things like this happens I see it as a sign that you need to try another technique and do something else or listen to a different meditation. Maybe lie down, try a different position. Experiment and see what works for you.If nothing works, leave the meditation for a while and start again. Forcing never works.

That's what happens to me every time I meditate - I believe that it is energy block that needs to be released or some trapped emotion (you name it). What I do is I focus my awareness on this tension and usually I can feel the energy there - I don't focus it too hard (it might tense your mussel even more) but slightly - go around with your attention, it should relax and sometimes you will feel an intense relief. A warning though - once you go this path you will be releasing more and more blocks and there will be no way back because the energy will start to cumulate in various places and you may have headaches, stomachache, pain in spine etc.

• Like 1