Sign in to follow this  
Broken_Mirror33

Blueberries!!

2 hours ago, Broken_Mirror33 said:

Blueberries!!

Anyone else here love blueberries?... I eat a sh!t ton of 'em!!

Boreal (wild) blueberries are the strongest known antioxidant.

• Thanks 1

Love 'em! My wife and I used to grow them, we bought a farm whose primary produce was blueberries, still living there. Sadly, they were infected with Blueberry Rust by the time we moved in, and the state government found out and had all the plants destroyed... or, well... tried to. Turns out Blueberry plants are insanely resilient. Rip them out, spray them with Glyphosate, rip them out again... they just keep going. Wonderful plants. I miss them terribly.

Not well suited to full sunlight, they're an interesting breed of forest berries. If you ever plant one of them (which I would recommend doing), make sure it's in a location where the soil is mildly acidic, and has at least partial shade for the duration of the day. They really hate full sunlight, but will grow beautifully wherever they have a bit of shade to rest in, after a day of photosynthesis. Full sun just kills the poor things, they're not made for it. They're descended from the Bilberrys; while much more energy-intensive than their forest-dwelling ancestors (and so needing more sunlight), they have really shallow root systems that will get dried out easily if they're ever in full sun.

The guy who established our farm found that out the hard way; he had 5 acres of Blueberry plants originally. Only 1 acres worth survived until we bought the place, and only then because that 1 acre was shaded by the 30 metre stringy-gum trees growing nearby. The blueberry plants not shielded from full-day sun all died, the poor things.

...well, unless they're my blueberries, in which case they'll live forever even when they're never watered, ripped out of the ground, sprayed with weedkiller constantly and still biosecurity are demanding they be killed off to the last surviving shred of life. Gah. Makes me sad and mad, to protect the large, politically connected commercial growers from a type of fungus that's already grown beyond anyone's ability to contain. But such is life...

Edited by Done Now
  • Like 1

Blueberries also like a moist soil. Interesting read on blueberry rust.  There was a mention that the fungus requires two host plants. Are there other blueberry growers in the area. If so, it sounds like the spores produced might spread easily. If so, that would put other crops at risk. Brings back memories of history. Potato Famine of Ireland was also a fungus. Sound like the state was concerned if it were to spread.

How little things go unnoticed. Realized I have a taste for the flavor of blueberries. Eaten in moderation; once in a while.  Had real blueberries before and I do get a craving for the flavor. But I'll take it in other forms like Pop Tarts,  blueberry pie and more recently, a candy, dark chocolate covered blueberries. There is some competition when it comes to a home made jelly. Blueberry or Strawberry?  Grandma's strawberry jam has no equivalent.

Why knock Monsanto? Do you eat there products? Don't want extra vitamins?  Just kidding.

I'm a little concerned with genetically modifying anything until science has a better grasp of genetics itself. Using it to identify potential problems is one thing. Altering genes without having a strong understanding of how those pieces interrelate within a single species could have disastrous consequences. Science just isn't there yet. Multiply that when your talking more than one species and  trying to combine qualities from multiple species. Not saying the research shouldn't be done. Just not today.  There has been discussion of a possible increase in food allergies. What happens if  a potato is modified to produce a protein commonly found in peanut, say to increase resistance to pests. Have a peanut allergy. What if the protein is or is chemically similar protein related to severe allergies? Want some french fries?  How about some sweet potato fries? Anyone.

Just some food for thought.

Seasons greetings.

Edited by BeyondTheRim
Additional comments blueberries

On 12/13/2018 at 10:41 PM, Pecos said:

On 12/13/2018 at 10:41 PM, Pecos said:

Yes I also Like Blueberry and for the antioxidant value...but for the Winter months,,,I been doing Frozen Black Raspberry and Frozen Blueberry Banana Smoothie,s 

Because I can get either for $2 bucks a pound..at least till better Spring Harvest come back>