RowanG

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

I feel like no matter how clean my diet is or how much I eliminate that could be causing the inflammation, my digestive system has been shut down for so long that I’m not absorbing the nutrients from my food anyways. I know it begins psychologically and that my nervous system is often heightened, I’ve channeled this part and still feel like I need help to understand why this is manifesting so badly! Any suggestions or ideas? 

Edited by RowanG
Spelling

The nervous system is key but the wrong foods don't help. Bad carbohydrates (sugars) should be avoided. These are alcohol, artificial sweeteners, wheat, corn, dairy, white rice, soy. Avoid food preservatives if possible. Consume raw honey or raw agave if you have to have a sugar.

7 hours ago, RowanG said:

Easier said than done but I agree

Yes it is. I had a bad case of candida and I had no choice but abstain from simple carbos. The upside was learning to cook better foods and saving a ton of money.

Have you talked to a doctor? 

Digestive system is a complex beast. There are even certain bacteria that aid in digestion. Too little or too much can cause problems. Roughage. Too much or too little can cause problems. 

You might want to keep a food journal as well. How much and when as well as times that you have troubles. Might help to see if there is a correlations. Figure out if a specific food or combination of food is the cause of your troubles.

Diet.  Diet.  Diet. Get the right diet and quell the digestive riot.

As every city is different, so is every BODY. You might need a different diet from Peco to quell your body riot.

Best of luck.

I also have IBS. Runs in my family. It sucks. Definately, worth looking for medical advice from professionals as a starting point.

What worked for me was a low FODMAP diet; mainly cutting out gluten, lactose, and things like onion, garlic, apples, apricots... could be worth a try.

In my own experience, those changes need not be hardline, all-or-nothing things, but it does seem important to remove them from your *normal* diet. Once they'd been gone for a while and my body had re-adjusted, my digestive system was able to handle them again in small doses, and I no longer experienced the debilitating... issues. Required a bit of a 'detox' period before normality returned to my system, after a number of years of major issues. Gah, makes me shudder to remember the constant pains...

There's a wikipedia page about it, it doesn't offer anything... world-shattering, but it's a great starting point. Rice for carbs,bit of meat or almonds for protein, grapes as a snack, basic teas and plain water for drinks... could be worth trying to restrict yourself to a few things for a month or so and seeing how it goes for you. Definately, IBS or not, it's always worth reducing refined sugars; they, along with onions and garlic, turned out to be my most potent gut-triggers. Treat your diet like a controlled experiment; if you see issues decreasing after sticking to this or that for a while, awesome, see if you can adjust your normal diet to include the things you've tried that are working. If not, you've at least ruled some stuff out!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FODMAP

Edited by Done Now