Antoine

The Shadow Side of listening to music all the time ?

What do you think might be the shadow side of listening to music all the time ? Is it possible to escape myself by listening to music all the time ? How can you use music to understand how you feel ?

Thank you

Antoine

I thought about that too, because I listen to music like all the time. Maybe the resistance to quiet? That you have to have control of what you listen to to avoid conflict? You would rather listen to what you want than what you don´t want? Discomfort? Not listening to what other people have to say? I think it depends on if the music is feeling good and uplifting or you are listening to it and you actually feel annoyed and that your thoughts are not in alignment.

I don´t know :)

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 4:37 AM, Antoine said:

What do you think might be the shadow side of listening to music all the time ? Is it possible to escape myself by listening to music all the time ? How can you use music to understand how you feel ?

Thank you

Antoine

I heard Eckart Tolle once talking about music and nature, he said these things help us to get into a better state but ultimately you want to be able to generate that wherever you are, which i can see how that would be helpful and demonstrable of a clearer consciousness 

I don't think that should be taken to mean that one should stop relying on these aids, you know the typical spiritual spiel of "you should be happy on your own even in a locked room with nothing", yikes! 

But i think these are great pleasures and highlights to our life, the art and beauty helping us to get in touch with our true nature more and more

When people take Ayahuasca i have heard people seeing the structure of sound, they see sacred geometry patterns that evolve and transform into the world we see, how music makes us dance because all of life is moving and dancing like this

I've also read another person say how everything we seek in art/beauty is us exploring our true natures, which comes back to all these interesting shapes, sacred geometry etc. 

So, we should see our motivation towards seeking art and beauty as a desire to get more in touch with our higher self, with the ways and movements of the larger reality 

• Like 2

1) You get addicted. And as you know budhist say that craving and aversion is source of suffering or somehow linked to suffering.

On 11/17/2018 at 6:37 AM, Antoine said:

Is it possible to escape myself by listening to music all the time ?

Why do you want to escape yourself? I assume pain. 
Though I have same experience. Like when you listen to music all the time you much more happier than when you believe in thoughts that Your Mind creates. 

2) You get distracted from what realy important in your life(Like preventing next crysis in your life=)) )(As you know in 90% of cases people use entertainment as an escape from usual life)
3) Sometimes you go into this weird emotional loops like when you crave to feel same emotion again and again. Though I think that's connected to life in general.

On 11/17/2018 at 6:37 AM, Antoine said:

How can you use music to understand how you feel ?

If you are not aware of things that create this feelings you cannot. 

IMHO most of today's music is oriented on stimulation junkies that have a lot of suppressed/repressed emotions. Maybe that's why I gravitate towards classical music. Like you know if composer spent 10 years creating 1 song you can listen to it everyday. That's why it's more balanced. 

Edited by MortyUn

I think the shadow side of listening to music all the time might be avoiding negative emotions to surface or even worse the feeling of a big deep plain and painful void. 

Then another aspect could be that let's say you got the blues and you will create a playlist that mirrors and reinforces the mood in itself.

It can also simply mirror the need of a curious mind that needs to be kept busy and proactively distracted.

Did you know that listening to music in general improves one's math abilities? 

love and cheers,

Deneb

Listen to classical music when you sleep at night and it will improve all of your abilities.  It's also great for pregnant woman to listen to as well as letting the baby listen to it after it is born to improve cognitive abilities.

• Like 1