Sign in to follow this  
Charles Kevin

Pool Renovation!!...

Pool Renovation!!...

Hi everyone!

We are renovating our 10-year-old swimming pool. This time we are not just building a pool. But, also customizing it. We have some ideas in our minds. We need a custom pool builder who can deliver our work.

We are also looking forward to landscaping the pool area. Can anyone suggest us with a good service provider?

Is there anyone who has heard about this custom pool builder in Toronto? Just wanted to know how was your experience with them. Feel free to share your suggestions.

Ask lots of questions of the designer. How durable? What is the expected maintenance? etc. etc.

I'm assuming an in-ground pool.

Took care of one for more than a decade when I was growing up. I also took part in the maintenance and renovation. We had a nice gunite pool, a couple of other types are vinyl and fiber glass. We also had tile around the inside edge and a marbleized coping to top it off. The original coping eventually came loose as it was in sections so the new coping during renovation was a continuous solid pour. I think that was less of a toe stub hazard. We also replace the skimmer, ran some new lines after the old one were found to have some leaks. Funny thing with gunnite is the plastered surface (which can be colored as you like, think about what it would look like in the evening lite up) which wore enough that we painted its with pool paint every 5 years. The pool was close to a kidney bean shaped. Concrete apron/ wide sidewalk all the way around. Walk in steps at the shallow end and a low diving board at the deep end which also featured an underwater light. If you're doing anything with the filter and pumps, make sure they are excellent quality. We had a pool by Anthony and one attractive item was the filter and pumps. Stainless steel filter and bronze fittings and pumps required little maintenance. The filter lasted forever. We used diatomaceous earth as the filter media, which I believe is better media than sand,  and had a cool automated pool sweep that worked on a timer. I know the industry was just starting to come out with a units that could synthesize chlorine from rock salt to sanitize the water. Too expensive at the time.  We never did add  a heater though it was an option as we had a second pump already complete with fittings. Carefully choose you landscaping that may receive pool water. Need to be hardy enough to handle that. I know times have changed and things like a Jacuzzi, jet sprays and more have become popular. My job for a time was outside and I got to see a lot of nice houses with pools.  Including, strangely enough, a row house with the entire back yard taken up by a swimming pool. I guess the owners must have hated cutting grass. Thought I'd seen everything. Have fun!