alice_emma

What is intelligence?

What is intelligence?

I realise this is a sensitive topic, but I am curious to hear what people think about this. I have been wondering about what exactly 'intelligence' is. Ultimately we are all source energy, and we all have the access to the same knowledge and abilities, but it's so funny to me that humans have become so fixated on the concept of our own 'intelligence', what our IQ is, but what does that even mean? How does our concept of IQ relate to consciousness? Intrigued to hear your thoughts ❤️❤️❤️ 

I ask the same question from time to time..

But, I can honestly tell you that - while I believe I was never  "a dumb" previously - and maybe I was, I don't think a dumb person would know that she was a dumb LOL =), my intelligence - or rather should I say, my capacity to grasp and understand things, and see what is beyond the "obvious" have DRASTICALLY improved over the years ( no it has nothing to do with maturing trust me I would know).

I am a Reiki Master, and currently that's what I do for a living, spiritual - energy therapy, thus, I work with energy like all the time, this, I believe is the reason why I feel like my mind has "expanded" and is expanding.. "expansion" is the exact word which describes my exact feelings about my intelligence.

The thing is, I was never called a genius or even "very smart" back in school or in college, and even in the previous years of my first career (I am a non-practicing lawyer). I was doing ok, and maybe- and at times- a little better than the most- but trust me nothing striking. 

I am 33 now, and people have been calling me a genius, a weirdo (but in a cute way, no worries), and etc. which I have never ever heard being said about me before. Nowadays, wherever I go, I just pop up within a crowd - although I am not pleased by it, because I am sort of an introvert and I don't like much attention. In fact, I deliberately stop myself from becoming a public figure in my own country ( I write lots of stuff for women's magazines, and etc. - and I even think of quitting, like 5 times a week=)

And again, foreign forums are the only platforms which I can freely ask and write, because if I do it locally, someone could recognize me, lol.. (I like my freedom too much)

Why do I tell this, well I never ever intended to shine like a star with my intelligence, I never deliberately worked on any of the stuff to improve my intelligence, however since as you have put, we are connected to anything and everything in this universe, and that no wisdom is ever hidden from us, I believe I just improved the natural ability to access to the eternal wisdom, which I believe EVERYBODY has the ability and the capacity to do so!

In my personal belief, the  very same person can very well be a dumb or a genius depending on the social / family circumstances and self-education (through one's own efforts to develop their sense of the world, people and universe).

So to me, the level of intelligence one possesses, heavily depends on the inner & outer work they are willing to take. 

There was this article about the genius people in National Geographic Magazine which discussed about the differences of genius brains and standard brains. Guess what, no physical or genetical difference could be found- but there was a difference- these genius people apparently used BOTH the left side and right side of their brains unlike most of the people- most use only one side of the brain. This explains a lot, because, these people, apparently maximizes their brains' capacity.

And people who work in the metaphysical or spiritual field use their left side of their brain as well.. so I am thinking that I just started using the left side of my brain due to my work as well as the right side of my brain - due to my everyday life which requires analytical and strategical solutions lol which eventually leads people to think that I am "different".

Well I am not 😃

I wonder what othes think about your question though.

Love,

Irem

• Like 1

Intelligence and IQ are tools of comparison? Intelligence is a measure of the effectiveness of ones mental processing, including memory and analysis, considered as a whole.  Think vocabulary, pattern seeing, logic, even the way one learns to bat a ball, etc... On the other hand, there are many definitions covered by the term IQ. Generally targets specific subsets of intelligence. You may not be able to compare one score to another if the test does not target the same subsets. (Try comparing two IQ tests. One heavily weighted in math and the other heavily weighted in vocabulary). I don't believe intelligence is necessarily fixed. Your exposure and active interest are both important variables. The processing, including memory, involves the formation of new flexible pathways in the brain. It takes time for them to adapt resulting in a streamlining just like occurs in programming code. My speculation anyway.

I thought consciousness is broadly 'self-awareness' derived from Latin con (with) and the root scire (to know). The root to know suggests that its not gained or learned but already present with no processing necessary and almost as if it is referring to a state, a state of being. Consider 'state' to be the conditions existing in an instance of time.  Maybe self awareness from moment to moment. I like to extend that definition as best I can as the state of being as arrived at through both the external and the internal influences from moment to moment. Added influences because in that state of being, ones self is surely aware of how it got there and where it is going (at least as planned).

I think it is difficult to compare the two as intelligence appears to be scalar in nature. A dimension of magnitude only. Whereas consciousness has a vector quality to it or stored within it. Potential is a word that comes to mind. Stored kinetic energy?

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2018 at 5:35 AM, alice_emma said:

How does our concept of IQ relate to consciousness? 

I personally don't believe in the concept of IQ! There is no way to objectively encompass each person's intelligence through a test like that. How many beautiful minds have been dismissed as the result? Sad.

Each person is unique in his own ways and it always unfoldes when given the most beneficial conditions.

• Like 2

That was my point. Look at how many  IQ test you can find  and the diversity of what they measure?  Just who sets the standard? I was in a college prep group thoughout early education. Just enjoyed the process of learning. See how far I could push my limits. Always discourage the notion that person X was stupid. Most people just have different interest and skill sets. Skill sets that can change. We're an adaptable species. Such test can be useful to gauge the current level of known knowledge and experience someone may currently have and even that measure is limited as I don't see it as a forecaster of the potential to discover new knowledge or create something new. People can surprise and teach you. Like I've said, once upon a time there was the first chemist, physicist, psychologist, etc... That's why I place intelligence in a very very broad topic. Please use the word 'dumb' sparingly.  Just think about that for a moment. How is it possible for YOU recognized something as dumb,  if you truly are dumb?

I completely agree. I think our labelling of IQ is so limiting, and it's so important to explore and embrace our different skills and abilities, and to always continue to learn. I was just curious to see whether anyone thinks society has the concept of intelligence wrong or, if we have only scratched the surface of it 🤔

IQ is just a measure that does not measure intelligence. It measure only a facet of intelligence. IQ is often confused with intelligence.  It is IQ that is limited and is not the Swiss army knife of measuring intelligence.  Aptitude is a measure of the ability to do a specific task. Specific tasks kinda speaks to the limitation of an IQ test, if that is how you wish to define them. 

Society is getting dumber? I've seen people mislead. But that is matter of ignorance and inexperience rather than lack of intelligence. Have a little patience and you'll see it for yourself if you wait long enough. That's another misplaced notion. How to compare the results of an aptitude test? Speed, Accuracy, or some other quality. Who defines that. Not problem is all concerned parties agree to the rules. But be sure to read the terms. Twice. I'm pretty sure this is debatable as well. You are correct that people do indeed have different aptitudes. Why else would there be such a focus on IQ test. But again. It only measures a facet of intelligence.  Think of intelligence as being a diamond. You can't tell me what the cut is and how many carats the diamond is if you only have knowledge of one facet. 

Are there physical disabilities. Of course. But some other anomalies as well.  Saw a program about savants. Extraordinary talents, but many were severely limited in other ways. Some to the point on not being able to care for themselves. Pity. No. I live in a world of facts.

Why not test your own measure of intelligence?  Who is it  you consider to be intelligent?  What is the benchmark?  Now try this a decade from now.  I used to think Jimmy Carter was smart. When I was about 7 or 8. I developed a very different opinion of the man few years later.  Chock that up to experience and the qualities I was looking at.

Important is also WHO is setting the standards.  You shouldn't rely to heavily on a test. Two things. 2. Empirically it has been demonstrated, skill is developed by experience is king and is gained in a school, in a seminar, working with a mentor (apprenticeship) or in the 'field' (see who sinks or swims).  The WHO is often the first person to successfully venture into a subject, ergo the first ..... chemist, physicist, etc... But the WHO can change and even be usurped.  More to the point. I don't take any 'authority' or 'professional' as the end all be all gold standard. They are all human, just like me, and like all humans, have self interest involved. To what degree is another story.

World is getting more interesting. China is all gaga over the new Brazilian president. LOL.  Macron of the EU is so concerned about a country's sovereignty. LOL.  Priceless to see a reporter talk to one of the asylum seeker approaching the US border admit he was deported for attempted murder. What an ouch moment. LOL.  I don't know if I'm living on a fantastic planet or in a circus fun house some days. It would be hillarious if it wasn't at the same time a serious concern for where thing can go.

Funny that math and music are related. Fourier transforms. Waveform patterns. Similarly in painting. Colors. Another waveform.

When I am concentrating at work on computations, its similar to a ongoing symphony.