Garnet

After Vet recovery

After Vet recovery

Hello Everyone!

Has anyone's pet had kidney/bladder/UTI problems?

We picked up our male cat from the Vet's clinic this morning where he had been since last Tuesday with "Blocked Tom" diagnosis which almost cost him his life. Luckily his strong immune system was able to handle the crisis and he avoided catherezation. 

While hospitalized he had to be on IV , valium, antibiotics and other bladder medications. One of the meds was suppose to help with bladder contractions but instead caused some weird side affects. The dose was reduced to a quarter.

X-ray, blood work showed good results and no evidence of crystals. 

Our Sunshine was finally able to go home along with 2-bottle supply of antibiotics and Royal Canin S/O prescription food. They believe this food prevents the blockage from happening in the future.

So, I am facing with a dilemma here where the cat is still weak and having difficulty going to the litter box (few drops at a time) and he refuses to touch fresh RAW food ("Instinct" from the frozen section that I've worked so hard to transition him to!). No, I am not about to go catch mice. I opened a can of wet food from the clinic and it doesn't even look like meat! There is pork by-product among ingredients. How sick. I am surprised they didn't stick bison in it.

Well... it's been over 15 hours and the kitty hasn't touched it. He did nibble on premium dry food pieces but it is obviously not the best thing. This junk food is very addictive, has high % of fat which probably contributes to the blockage. Sunshine is about 16 pounds. Not overweight for a large frame cat... but can loose couple pounds.

I am all about getting off drugs and "let the food be thy medicine". At the same time, I need to make changes accordingly with feline's constitution. Obviously, the lifestyle/diet he was on is what led to blockage and I understand that.

Does anyone have an advice or similar experience with your animals on how to transition in this situation?

Thank you in advance. 

Orbax (Orbifloxacin) is antimicrobial oral suspension for use in cats and dogs and is indicated for treatment of urinary tract infections (cystitis), also for the treatment of skin infections (wounds and abscesses) in cats.

Side affects:

DOG: Vomiting, convulsions, depression/lethargy, anorexia 

CAT: Blindness, mydriasis, anorexia, ataxia, depression/lethargy, vomiting, convulsions, abnormal retina, hypersalvation. In some cases blindness has been temporary. 

Thank you everyone who reached out to ask about my cat. Your support and presence means a lot to me.

One thing I would like to make public is that apparently there is a mandatory flea treatment for all animals staying at the vet clinic for extended period of time which we were not aware of.

We don't use commercial flea treatments for obvious health risks and reasons, so I was shocked to see a weird hair loss on the back side of the cat's neck. I first thought it was my other female cat establishing her kitty boundary when this one went too far. But the spot looked painful, kept bleeding with no signs of healing. I suspected a burn, looked up skin burn/hair loss in cats and That.Was.It.                                                                                   It took good amount of water to wash away the chemicals and the skin began healing. It is relieving to see first signs of hair again on a bold spot.

My overal experience with the vet clinic is actually very pleasant this time. The fact that science saves so many lives outweighs any differences in beliefs and healing approaches. Plus many people in medical field truly believe that they are doing the right thing. I can feel it in their worry and care for every animal that comes through the door. It is heartwarming. 

It's been a months and a half. The nightmare is in the past and we still keep in touch with the stuff! They absolutely loved our baking goods that we shared as a "Thank you for saving our cat"  and now they consistently order more which also helps our small home-based business and in return it also helps to pay the vet bill.... which many of you know medical care can send you over the roof here in US ))

I could understand a flea collar. But spray or wipe on. Usually just at the back of neck so they don't lick it. Maybe an allergic reaction. Keep that note in with cat's records. That may be something to advise the vet if such an occasion occurs again.

Consider that mild.

My sister took the cat to the vet when he had his urination troubles. Apparently the cat was catheterized without any anesthesia. The scream/cry she heard, she will never forget. She wanted to strangle the vet. Now this was in the past. He did survive that, probably with cat nightmares. Rest in peace Prince.

One great cat that like to play fetch, chase a pointer lights, play claw and seek at closed doors, meow for water from a running faucet, like to 'chatter' at birds outside, loved catnip, came running to the music of the can opener or the shaking of a box of food.  He occasionally hissed at the strange cat in the mirror too.

17 hours ago, BeyondTheRim said:

My sister took the cat to the vet when he had his urination troubles. Apparently the cat was catheterized without any anesthesia. The scream/cry she heard, she will never forget. She wanted to strangle the vet. Now this was in the past. He did survive that, probably with cat nightmares. Rest in peace Prince

THIS IS TERRIBLE 🙏

17 hours ago, BeyondTheRim said:

Keep that note in with cat's records. That may be something to advise the vet if such an occasion occurs again.

Thank you!

Yes. I should have taken the photo when the reaction happened and provide it as proof. But if it comes down to this , there is also a mild 3-day treatment (don't remember the name of it) it is usually reserved for pregnant female cats. 

Also I don't know if we were lucky or the cats condition was so bad that no one asked about his vaccine records. In my previous experiences, no cat could stay overnight without rabbies shot. They wouldn't even want to touch it. Sadly, but vaccine is still a deciding factor in vet treatments. And to be honest, rabbies shot can be a death sentence before the actual treatment for a very-very sick animal.

We kept a record for the cats we had. We also kept note of potential allergies and anything peculiar. LOL. Just remembering, Prince had an extra toe on each foot. Extra work to trim the claws and something a groomer might miss. In the future, the vet may provide alternatives if the treatment includes a flea repellent application and you tell them about the reaction, if you can remember (why you put a note in the file). This also should be a lesson for animal caretakers to be a little more 'aggressive' to ask the more 'overlooked' questions that most of us would assume takes place. Be sure to have them give you a detailed step by step of what will be done. Evert step. That would have included any applications of flea repellent.  Ask if they are being held overnight or longer. Communication helps a lot. I would do no different for myself when speaking to a medical professional  (ie. possible mold allergy hence careful around penicillin based products and there are alternatives).  Prince was a big boy, 15 to 18 lbs.  Jet black all around and bright yellow eyes. After he passed. Another, almost identical stray ended up in the house, except he was a little more skittish.

• Like 1

What supplements and herbs do you give to your pets?

It took 2 death beds for our male cat to finally recognize real food from dry kibble and start eating more how mother nature intended. Our Sunshine  lost weight and became more active again. It's great to see himm performing summer salts in the air. I've always said sleeping and eating is not normal for a house cat!

Once again the universe proves that saving on health backfires somewhere else. Terrible math $

If I could, I would feed my animals 100% raw. although that seems to leave them hungry, I don't know. Plus let's face the fact that kibble is very convient for automatic feeder when going away and it doesn't go bad.

Here are the supplements I included into maintaining  the health and recovery after urinary tract blockage.

First Aid Kit:

- 100% pure spirulina in a pressed tablet form [Greens are must for house cats every day!]

- UTRIN cranberry extract + D-Mannose once a week [Did you know kidney failure is #1 cause of death in house cats?]

- Milk Thistle. 100% pure liquid extract. Alcohol &Sugar Free! [I order mine from swansonvitamins.com]

- Tumeric here and there [they hate the taste]

- HomeoPet WRM CLEAR [Safe and gentle way to support immune system, kill worms and eggs]

- Oxy-pH Boost by NWC NATURALS  [occasionally for general health,  see my other post for more details]

- coconut oil

- milled flax seed or flax oil

- activated charcoal 

- Apple cider vinegar 

- diatomacious earth

- aloe Vera in very small amounts. Boosts immune system, heels any skin issues.

Has anyone tried CBD oil? My female cat is loosing hair and was diagnosed with stress. The vet reccomended steroid shot.  I heard I can give her a drop or so of cbc oil

Are you sure the hair loss is not self induced or an allergy? Is this loss of hair recent or ongoing problem? Any changes in diet? New plants or toys? Any less obvious changes in the environment? Sometimes cats have or develop allergies, but anything stressful which may include an allergies, itself,  new plants and even a new animals entering encroaching into or near their territory (property) can contribute to hair loss.

Yes cats do own property. Sometimes they own people. Beware of cats rubbing up against you. If the cat does, you may have just been marked as property.

Some information gathered:

Self-induced cat hair loss (most common): A cat will pull out or cut the hair if suffering from itch.  The most common causes of self-induced cat hair loss are a parasite such as fleas or allergies (hypersensitivities).  These are described as:

Facial pruritic dermatitis: term used to describe cat hair loss on the face

Miliary dermatitis: a term that describes a skin reaction with many possible causes (it is not a diagnosis). The causes include flea-bites, allergens found in the environment such as pollen (atopy), food allergy, mosquito bites, mites, pemphigus, scabies or a mast cell tumor.

Feline eosinophilic granuloma complex (EGC): result of immune system cells releasing inflammatory chemicals.  Skin reaction is commonly due to the saliva left behind by flea, mosquito or mite bites.  Related conditions are eosinophilic plaque and indolent ulcers.

Psycogenic alopecia (when no other cause can be determine, excessive grooming due to anxiety)

Cat skin allergies are a common cause of a cat losing hair. Cats can be allergic to things in their environment, such as dust, pollen, and mold (called atopy). This causes red, inflamed spots on the skin, itching, and hair loss. Scratching can make hair loss worse. Allergies are treated with steroids and antihistamines. Your vet can perform allergy tests to determine exactly what that is causing the allergic reaction. If necessary, she can be given allergy shots to desensitize her to that substance.

Food allergies are another possible cause of a cat losing hair. Symptoms look similar to those in cats with environmental allergies. Food allergies are less common than environmental allergies, though. The way to deal with food allergies is to place your cat on a special elimination diet which removes most food types from the diet to see if the reaction disappears. Single foods are gradually added back in. You veterinarian can provide instructions for how to get started.

• Like 1

Thank you for taking your time to look up this information  @BeyondTheRim  We were told by the vet that the condition is common during spring time here for the area due to pollen, fleas and other insects. My concern is that this cat was originally a stray cat taking in.. so fleas, mud and pollen weren't an issue. And when i think about it... a cat is a common host for pests, so why would that be an issue all the sudden? She is also not stressed, meaning that she not lethargic looking.... Maybe on the vet table she did look like that, which is probably common for cats... overal, she is extremely playful almost 6 y.o. kitten! She is shy anti-social, but will kill a bird in a snap, will perform CPR to bring the bird back so she can kill it again, lol

What we have noticed is that she is excessively licking the carpet in the bedroom, the blanket on the bed etc. not just herself. Bald spots on a cat is bad .. but bold spots on the carpet is hard to explain. I make sure she has enough blankets for her mysterious condition and plan on trying new food high in fat to put some weight back on her.

Cats like the strangest thing. For hairballs, gave them Petroleum Jelly (Vasoline) which they would lick right off the spoon. Both cats were excessive groomers even after brushing and would occasionally get a bald spot. You do have to be careful as it can cause other problems, Vitamin A deficiency.  I seem to remember we added fish (tuna) to the diet once a week for the fish oil.  Here's  a little data on one of the benefits.

Fish oil supplements are well known for their anti-inflammatory properties. In fact, EPA and DHA act as cellular signals to reduce inflammation. Therefore, fish oil supplements help manage inflammatory diseases like arthritis and heart disease. Fish oil can also ease the inflammation from skin allergies, helping your pet to feel less itchy.

Why licking the carpets and blankets? Something used to clean them with. A residue the cat likes. Or maybe acts like itching powder. Something to keep an eye on. It could also just be a cat fetish.

Had to keep cat out of bathroom as he loved to bat at the toilet rolls.

Water out for a higher than usual water bill. Keep an eye on pud. Was told a story of one cat that figured out how to turn on the water while the owner was away. Until the bathtub overflowed. A high water bill plus payment for water damage repairs to boot.

• Haha 1

On 4/15/2019 at 6:05 PM, BeyondTheRim said:

Why licking the carpets and blankets? Something used to clean them with. A residue the cat likes.

Flame retardant???