Nick S

Your opinion on Neuroeconomics

Your opinion on Neuroeconomics

A woman I know told me she was taking an online class on neuroeconomics and asked if I'd be interested in taking it as well. I hadn't heard of neuroeconomics and thought it would be interesting to explore. I signed up for the class and have begun with the videos. The first thing I learned was that it’s based on a hypothesis by Francis Crick stating "A person's mental activities are entirely due to the behavior of nerve cells, glial cells, and the atoms, ions, and molecules that make up and influence them". The presenter summed this up by saying "our mental activity is simply a bi-chemical prosses in our neurons". I'm not sure I'm interpreting this correctly, but am left feeling sceptical about it because I strongly believe that body, mind, and spirit (or ego), are all part of who a person is. Neuroeconomics seems to me to be saying it's only the mind. I still don't know almost anything of the subject, and try to aproach things with an open mind, however I'm feeling very doubtful about the points being made here. Is anyone else familiar with neuroeconomics? If not what do you think of the quotations? I still intend on taking the class, even if it leads to me just becoming more familiar with opposing opinions. Basically if I could hear from others about their thoughts on neuroeconomics, supportive and/or against, it would be great. Again I know practically nothing about it yet.

It’s all connected it’s all fundamentally the same thing.  This is where spirituality and science need to recognise that all the answers are there for everything.  It’s applicable to anyone and everyone but it needs people who can translate this information to one another.  I probably need a translator right now come to think of it hehe!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Actually I probably should have googled neuroeconomics... I’m not familiar with that word I just assume it’s neuroscience related and I’d love to learn that stuff! 

Neuroscience or not.... I think the less people are aware of what's happening, the more it becomes possible to create a desired outcome.

5 minutes ago, Garnet said:

Neuroscience or not.... I think the less people are aware of what's happening, the more it becomes possible to create a desired outcome.

That seems like a very pessimistic view!

Lol Thanks, Scot!

Let's take retail for example. 

A well thought out strategy of a store is often aimed to trigger 5 senses of its customers. This non-verbal communication is targeted as following:

- Eyes (visual presentation)

- Scent 

- Sound (music) [some stores are really awful at that and it's almost impossible to shop there]

- Touch

- Taste (including available food choses around, so people can continue shopping) [vegans and raw foodists are mostly blessed in a sense that they have go home or the choices are very limited in many places 😊]

The goal is to create positive emotions through the senses.

When people feel good, they make decisions much easier.

The problem is that people are not tought to know their own 5 senses, so often they end up in a temporary illusion or even experiencing fake feeling of feeling good. 

The result: overspending is high... returns are high which messes up the "goals of the day" for each store... and people are still miserable. 

11 minutes ago, Garnet said:

The problem is that people are not tought to know their own 5 senses, so often they end up in a temporary illusion or even experiencing fake feeling of feeling good. 

The result: overspending is high... returns are high which messes up the "goals of the day" for each store... and people are still miserable. 

Nooo!  Don’t say that!! 

Edited by Casia

Retail illusion isn't the worst.... and it can be used as a guide to get to know your senses and start following joy))

The conflict in this system is that often people who work there don't buy or can't afford to buy what they sell but they are trained to talk as if they are and therefore it creates a false sense of trust.

Yes... I am very familiar with this.  Which isn’t ok if nobody cares.  

Ohhhhh MATE!! What am I doing?? Ok opposite spiral, opposite spiral!!

Most stores i know have good return polices but not every consumer knows about it (usually it is printed on the receipt). I curious what  type of neuroeconomics  clicks in the brain to return the item past due date....

(Whoever worked in retail knows what I am talking about)

I worked in retail, there’s many reasons why someone would return something past it’s due date.  Usually because they work away or haven’t had time/proper customer care to give them incentive to speak to anyone other than the person they know will actually understand them.  

Hmm.... I've never had that, @Casia... People can forget, yes. I know some people can feel uncomfortable with returning the item.... 

And there are also those who purchase the item, use it a few times or even more... and then return it to buy another one... 

It is not in the store's interest to deny or misdirect  the return that falls into the rules of their policies.