Shushienae

Are you a vegan or vegetarian?

32 posts in this topic

I have recently just decided to become a vegetarian, and was wondering if there are any people on here that have been a vegan or vegetarian for over 10 years and still feel great and healthy?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 years is a hard requirement to achieve. Most people (due to our current food logistics) find themselves in the position where they have to eat meat (whether they are camping, or influenced by others). Also it is hard to resist other people wearing us down with constant "you should eat meat, it's healthy, you look pale" bullshit.

I'll tell you that it's very clear-cut that our bodies are not supposed to eat meat, if you investigate the human digestive system. For example, meat eaters in nature have short digestive tracts, passing their refuse after only a few short hours, whereas humans take 12-24 hours to drop a deuce. Meat goes rancid while still in our intestine, causing cancer, among other diseases. This is 100% known, but since the meat industry heavily sponsors universities, the studies are overshadowed by thousands of insincere reports.

• Upvote 3

I love to eat fruits and vegetables and I was a vegan for a year however I noticed that it is way more healthier to eat just fish compared to veggies over here. Pesticides usage is very bad it is out of control and that is the truth. Very rarely we find vegetables and fruits that are safe to eat. It is very sad but gardening is a solution for some vegetables but it is not enough to survive (because no one is there to put love and care that is needed for the plant; Economy is bad so people are busy making money).

I still don't use milk and it has been three years now. I definitely think it will be way more healthier to go vegan :)

when you don't eat meat you don't get constipated at all. its like a smooth working machine, well depends what you eat, you could be an unhealthy vegan and blame it on the diet. you do get your natural body type when you eat healthy, if you're doing it for health you need to play around with your diet. I cant have spicy food or my stomach hurts.

Annette Larkins, Mimi kirk, Jim Morris, those people have been vegan for more than 10 years, you can look them up and they all look good for their age.

• Upvote 2

I've been vegan for over six years and vegetarian for a number of years before that, and I feel great :) No health problems from the diet, and I feel it is a much healthier diet - at least for me :)

Vegan for a year now ;) One of the best decisions that I've ever made.

When I was first starting out I looked into a lot of people who have been vegan for 5, 10 years or even their whole lives! That helped me understand how good this lifestyle is for people, animals and the planet

• Upvote 2

Been straddling the line between vegan and raw vegan for about 3 years now, for me it was more about paying close attention to how I'm feeling when eating and for the next few hours after.  My diet started to naturally change, that being said if I feel a craving for fish or something I wont stop myself (usually happens a couple times a year).  I've been really enjoying the shift, and usually feel much lighter throughout the day.  

@Shushienae I know a few people that have been Vegan/Vegetarian for 10 - 15 years, and still loving it.  I've also heard stories (but don't know anyone personally) that have shifted from the vegan diet after 10 years because it no longer worked for them.

If you're just starting out it may be worth figuring out nutrition and supplementing until you find which foods naturally have what you need in them.  It may be harder to find b12s, iodine.  You can find b12s in nutritional yeast and you can find b12s/iodine in sea veggies. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegan_nutrition)

Here are a few blogs that I've found helpful for recipes (in ascending order):

http://ohsheglows.com/

http://www.thisrawsomeveganlife.com/

http://rawfoodrecipes.com/

http://anunrefinedvegan.com/

Here's my goto smoothie (this sucker takes me all day to drink):
http://liveenergized.com/alkaline-diet-resources/smoothie-doubles-your-energy/

When I started the diet I went 100% raw vegan for 3 months, I started craving other foods so I completely 
dropped the diet, then about 5 months later or so I felt a shift and started the diet I'm on now.

I still haven't watched cowspiricy or forks over knives, when people hear that they're like "you're vegan and haven't seen that, wtf?!"  A few people have told me that it helped them in making their decision to be vegan.

I did enjoy some comparative anatomy charts though, something like: http://www.daveyduplessis.com/humans-evolved-eat-meat/ where it shows how our systems compare to other creatures in the animal kingdom.

Good luck! For me starting was definitely the hardest part.

• Upvote 1

I have been vegetarian for 12 years. I don't have any health problems because of my diet. Please don't watch cowspiracy or any of those videos that have animals tortured. Try and decide to have this lifestyle because it empowers you to do so and it is something that you want to do.

I've been vegan for 25 years, and have noticed some health problems while I was in a periods of not eating well. Problems such as, low immunity or teeth deterioration or tissue deterioration. But, if a person has access to proper food, I think there are no problems. Now I am 41, and if live to be 65 or more, I'll be competent enough to reflect on the subject.

• Upvote 1

Hi,

This may sound like an odd problem...i've tried to become fully vegan several times during the last months. I always felt great during the first 5-6 days, when I (and this always happened) started the get really bad feelings of derealization and depersonalization. It always felt like I was about to disconnect from my body..which then led to anxiety. 

I gotta admit that I'm on three different psych meds. Two antidepressants, paroxetine and wellbutrin, and a neuroleptic/antipsychotic called olanzapine. Since taking the wellbutrin I've had mild twitches when trying to fall asleep. but during that 5-6th day of being vegan, those twitches became stronger.

Is it possible that the vegan diet changes the absorption of my meds which is causing those symptoms?

Any other ideas?

Should I just try to power through the bad feelings? It kinda sucks being on meds and then risking of making everything worse because of my diet. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/7/2016 at 7:39 PM, Shushienae said:

I have recently just decided to become a vegetarian, and was wondering if there are any people on here that have been a vegan or vegetarian for over 10 years and still feel great and healthy?

I have been vegetarian off and on for roughly 5 years of my life, vegan for1 year. 

After being vegan for so long I experienced severe health decline, which I later learned was because of eating GMO foods. So please, if you're vegan, be sure to stay away from GMO foods... I think I could have continued if it weren't for that.

I realized that there's a lot more to eating cruelty free than just not eating animals. There is a lot of politics when it comes to agriculture... Eating cruelty free helps decalcify your pineal gland.

I healed my leaky gut after that, and ate Paleo for a while, and now eat a plant based, non gmo diet. I'm really picky where I do get my animal products from, they need to have non GMO feed and be raised humanely (pasture raised eggs/wild fish/grassfed beef)

My diet has evolved a lot in the past few years, I grew up eating the Standard American Diet... Now I don't eat gluten, avoid all corn, soy, and canola (I rarely eat these and they must be organic if I do). I do eat plenty of vegetables and berries, not a ton of fruit and grains, some beans, and some meats. I eat pretty high protein and high fat, not a whole lot of carbs.

Seems to be working for me.

I liked Paleo but I like peanut butter and potatoes so... 

Now, I'm trying to eat less red meat, even though it is from happy cows.

Edited by Tessa Rae

12 hours ago, SpaceVolta said:

Hi,

This may sound like an odd problem...i've tried to become fully vegan several times during the last months. I always felt great during the first 5-6 days, when I (and this always happened) started the get really bad feelings of derealization and depersonalization. It always felt like I was about to disconnect from my body..which then led to anxiety. 

I gotta admit that I'm on three different psych meds. Two antidepressants, paroxetine and wellbutrin, and a neuroleptic/antipsychotic called olanzapine. Since taking the wellbutrin I've had mild twitches when trying to fall asleep. but during that 5-6th day of being vegan, those twitches became stronger.

Is it possible that the vegan diet changes the absorption of my meds which is causing those symptoms?

Any other ideas?

Should I just try to power through the bad feelings? It kinda sucks being on meds and then risking of making everything worse because of my diet. 

I would reccomend taking a fish oil or a HIGH dose of flaxseed oil if you are going vegan. Drugs can easily cause seizures if you aren't getting enough omega 3's in your diet (something I found out the hard way, when I used to be on amphetamines a few years ago)

Some people can't utilize flaxseed oil as easily as other people, so fish oil might be the better option... Keep in mind that you're still eating far less animal product than the rest of the world, and that's a noble thing.

I wanted to fit in the vegan bandwagon so bad, but alas... it just didn't work for me.

If I were to do it again, I would keep taking fish oil and avoid GMOs completely.

As always though.. listen to your gut. If you're having bad feelings, it can be a symptom of nutritional imbalance in your body.

B complex with b12, zinc, omega 3s... all of these are of utmost importance when trying to eat vegan.

• Upvote 1

I currently live in Italy so being a vegetarian / vegan it's not that hard (at least when I cook at home.)...I've been a vegetarian myself for 3 years and a half  now and I feel much better than before.

Even compared to people around me, who still eat a meat and dairy heavy diet, I can safely say that catching seasonsal illnesess is quite a rare event for me.

I have more energy, more inspiration for new recipes and I now actually enjoy cooking, which wasn't the case before. Now whenever I see a piece of meat I just don't understand how could it be perceived as 'food'.

Been vegan for like 8 months. It is a lot easier when you look at things ethically. Health alone wouldn't have been a good enough reason for me to make the change.

• Upvote 3