Do you believe in astrological predictions? does it deny your free will?

29 posts in this topic

Hi guys, 

I have doubts in astrological predictions but I know many people find the predictions useful to navigate their path. Do you believe in astrological predictions? Do you think astrology denies your free will? If it doesn't how can we use astrology as a tool to of assistance? 

The thing is, astrology (in my experience) is too true to dismiss. I just cannot throw all the information away because of some misinterpretations. Every astrologer predicts things differently. It's like giving someone a flower and saying "Describe it to me." One will focus more on the color, the other will describe you more in terms of smell.. The other will not like the flower so he'll say "This is not good." 
I don't think birth charts have one reading. There are always positive and negative sides to one thing. Same applies to predictions and interpretations in astrology. 
So it is too true not to believe in... But too subjective to take for absolute truth.

• Upvote 4

@Ana Interesting what has drawn you to astrology might be a very relaxing and exciting path however not everyone is drawn to astrology because they want to know themselves. I was brought up in a Buddhist culture although I was a Christian. Astrology in Buddhist cultures are used daily in every aspect of their day to day activities. For example if the child is learning to read for the first time parents look for an auspicious time (they normally go to a Buddhist monk or an astrologer with the natal chart), you might laugh but a girl's first period is a breaking point in her life and this is a time predictions are especially made about her sexual life, when someone is building a house they definitely consult the astrologers before even buying the land. This is the culture I grew up in and all I knew was predictions come true and this is a part of life . Although I went to Christian church when it comes to the practical life this is what I saw. I wish I was drawn to it because of the  same reasons you did  but sadly not. 

My philosophy about life really came into question after I crossed the boarders. The reason why I try to share this with others and know their opinion is because I don't like throwing away things without reasoning. I understood astrology as a method of predicting the future. However I became very close to Jesus and I started learning about Christianity deeply (by using my own intuition), I also followed different spiritual teachers and researched on certain aspects of metaphysics. Then definitely this knowledge  made me question about astrology.

26 minutes ago, Ana said:

Some things might be inevitable but you still have free will in how you respond and work with them.

Yes this answers my question. Thank you.

47 minutes ago, Ana said:

That is very interesting.

With all respect - and I love Buddhism -  I think here it shows the downside of any divination. The obsession and the constant refering to it.

Any tool is as good as it frees you and as bad as it makes your life mechanical, ritualistic and rigid. Where you lose creativity and spontaneity can only be a diminishment of who you are. However, it's all about one's beliefs and the consolation that comes from following them. I respect it and understand people feel free in complying with their "spiritual obligations".

I definitely understand your concerns and doubts. They are absolutely legitimate.

@Ana I know this is part of the reason why I wanted to break free from structures because I have seen people following these rituals but still their lives seem to be like the white washed tombs. So growing up I was concerned about these believes and was at a lost not knowing what to believe and when to believe. I definitely had to find my own interpretation of things and this has been a challenge. Firstly I don't have family members or friends who understand spiritual teachings or anything to do with metaphysics so I had to be both the teacher and the student. This is why I used write down questions that popped in my head because I had so many questions/doubts to clear off. some answers appeared out of the blue but some didn't. Teal's forum has really opened up a new door for me and I'm truly grateful for that. I love everyone's feedback. 

Thank you for understanding and sharing your wisdom.

:love-struck-yahoo-emoticon:

3 hours ago, Elif said:

The thing is, astrology (in my experience) is too true to dismiss. I just cannot throw all the information away because of some misinterpretations. Every astrologer predicts things differently. It's like giving someone a flower and saying "Describe it to me." One will focus more on the color, the other will describe you more in terms of smell.. The other will not like the flower so he'll say "This is not good." 
I don't think birth charts have one reading. There are always positive and negative sides to one thing. Same applies to predictions and interpretations in astrology. 
So it is too true not to believe in... But too subjective to take for absolute truth.

@Elif Yeah I know some people are very keen in astrology and nice to know your point of view.

When you say 'every astrologer predicts things differently' do you think they talk about possible life paths? For example one astrologer might interpret the chart and talk about Road A and the other road C and another one L but ultimately all the roads (A, C, and L)  leads to the main road (which is ultimate purpose). Perhaps the astrologer might be using his own  intuition and determine the path that you will be taking  or he might decide by analyzing the past trends? 

I am not sure if I agree with you on 'too true to dismiss' however I know certain people who follows this strictly.

The suffering that have come my way is because i was overconfident and was taking the negative predictions seriously. Now, i practice focusing on positive combinations of planets. E.g. if it says 'i will be more charming for next month' then i look for more opportunities of doing it. Remaining predictions i just forget. Then i get happy and it gives me confidence also to walk further. And i totally remove negativity in my life. If this goes on for some years then i will be back to being myself. 

I think, what we should do here is to share the experiences and major events and just comparing with the trend. But not seeing the future except happy combinations and exaggerating its effects in day to day life. And if any negative experience come our way then we should use our spiritual strength to restore peace and love. We will be whole again

• Upvote 1

We need to work on few aspects.

While being positive and surviving astrological weather with the help of spiritual good practices, we also need to work seriously or rather more intensely on closing traumas. What say?

5 minutes ago, Amit said:

We need to work on few aspects.

While being positive and surviving astrological weather with the help of spiritual good practices, we also need to work seriously or rather more intensely on closing traumas. What say?

@Amit thank you because I was typing a question as you were posting this answer. 

Why should we use only the positive aspect of astrology? How about the negatives?  I mean avoiding negative aspects shows a resistant 

This is where the problem lies.  Why shouldn't we accept both positive and negative interpretations? It is like avoiding shadow works if we do that

20 minutes ago, Amit said:

But not seeing the future except happy combinations and exaggerating its effects in day to day life.

@Amit if I were to find a path/believe/knowledge I would choose one that works for both aspects in life. 

please nothing personal I am just saying :)

@Ana

12 minutes ago, Ana said:

Yes, there is always some work to do but I believe the most important things are solved naturally through living our lives with trust and without much worry. They reveal and unfold by themselves. I think we are here more to play than to work and that nothing is as serious and important as we might think.

'Look at the birds in the air they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly father feeds them. Consider the lillies of the filed they neither spin nor toil yet I say to you even Soloman in all his glory was not arrayed like one'  And me sitting here knowing this argue about astrology :( 

5 minutes ago, Ana said:

I think the negative, for its magnetic nature, brings too much of our attention to it.

For me it's about knowing and being warned about the negative possibilities/realities but not becoming obsessed by it. Same with shadow work.

After some of it, you get tired of it. You saw all the darkness there was to see, it's endless. You will dwell on it forever. It's by being light you shed light on it.

Shadow follows you wherever you go. Will you look at the path ahead or at your own shadow constantly?

Shadows are overrated. And this comes from someone who dived deeply on it and I could stay there forever but I'm not interested. I have embraced it, it does not haunt me. It's not even real.

I do love a nice shade in a hot summer day. It's so refreshing.

@Ana beautifully said I agree.

1 hour ago, Teena said:

@Amit if I were to find a path/believe/knowledge I would choose one that works for both aspects in life. 

please nothing personal I am just saying :)

@Teena balancing is always suggested but you see some events not mixed of such aspects, relation may be mixed of aspects...but for relation only on thing works...unconditional love/100% acceptance

What I know for sure is that planets have energy, a lot of energy.

It wouldn't surprise me if the positions of the planets affected us at birth, but I honestly haven't looked much into astrology. My sister in law gave me a reading years ago and said I have very strong signs in my chart. I'm a triple Taurus, that's all I know and I'm not sure what it means.

How do I do a reading? What's a good source to go to?