authorofdarkness

And then there was Freud....

3 posts in this topic

We all know him and we all can agree he had some odd theories, especially about sex, and the mother, and often times those two together, quite icky. BUT I love him, in fact whenever asks me about where to start with shadow work I send them off to read about The Id, Ego and Superego, his concepts of the conscious, subconscious and unconscious mind and also his concept of defense mechanisms. But he seems to fallen out of favor in today's society, do you guys think he's still relevant?

sigmund-freud-med.jpg

for psychoanalysis he was the founder and his ideas gave rise to a whole new perspective - back then. i think he did awesome work, but as with most scientific things, teachers like him have students and the students themselves develop the ideas to even more expansion and a more refined version of seeing the greater picture - what i want to say is, i find Jung's theories more appealing and resonating than Freud's. not exactly what i perceive to be a truthful depiction of how "the psyche" works either but some steps closer. Jung implemented some points he observed through experiences with buddhist meditation practices into his work and that did cover a lot that Freud didnt even consider. maybe thats also why Freud seems to be seen as outdated.

• Upvote 4

just for clarification: Jung's theory was the one with the collective unconscious, embedded in that the personal unconscious or shadow, above that on the surface the personal conscious self and around that as a shield the persona guarding the self-concept against the outside world.

Edited by Lilia
  • Upvote 1