M_The_Raven

What are you reading? Do you love books?

90 posts in this topic

Ok.  So I love books!   I gobble them up like a freak!    Share your books!  

Just finished

the savage detectives 

big sur 

the snows of mt Kilimanjaro 

----------

started "the stranger".  But having a tough time getting through first chapters for some reason

image.jpeg

Don't laugh! I picked up "Mal's spell book" recently and can't get enough of it :)

Basically it's a book of Shadows written for teen girls. I find it to be very accurate!

They should have put a caution sign on it!!! ☠

For ex., this recipe is very interesting. It calls for oleander. Oleander is known to be extremely poisonous. But... if you do your research it's maybe not that bad if used in tiny amounts for healing... 

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/oleander/ 

20160630_224908.jpg

20160701_004005.jpg

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't laugh.   I read everything.. honestly.  i have a ton of tech books & math books.. & new age books too.   
I'm obsessed with history & current events.   so I love those books too.
I just didn't list them.. because I wasn't reading them at the moment.   I tend to gobble them up.. 
Like Hemingway Snows of Mt Kilimanjaro..   I read the whole book in a single day..
but it really?  It only added up to like 50 min of my time during that single day..  It's a quick read.

The other books sometimes i resist until i'm ready -- or sometimes I never read them!  
 Like Camus?   I don't know if i'll read it.   I'm just not feeling it.   --- 

@garnet is that spell book any good?  I'd like to read it.

• Upvote 1

I'm currently reading and deeply enjoying the book "New Self, New World" by Philip Shepherd. It's all about finding balance and wholeness by moving from isolated head-consciousness into a more integrative body awareness, along with uniting the currently unbalanced masculine energy with the feminine energy of Being. It's very well written, quite enjoyable to read, and full of great insights. I really recommend it! ^_^

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, M_The_Raven said:

Like Hemingway Snows of Mt Kilimanjaro..   I read the whole book in a single day..
but it really?  It only added up to like 50 min of my time during that single day..  It's a quick read.

50 min? Are you sure you didn't skip any pages? ?

I read slower in english. I have to look up words sometimes :D

Like Camus?   I don't know if i'll read it.   I'm just not feeling .

I haven't read Camus too. Idk. If you don't feel like reading then maybe it's too much for right now. I was thinking about Dostoyevsky "Crime and punishment ". I wonder if i am going to like the translation of it. What do you think?  It was in my school program, so it should be lighter.... they took it off now. Thanks God! Saves so many young and innocent minds!

@garnet is that spell book any good?  I'd like to read it.

Which spell do you need? ?

18 hours ago, Trinity Anderson said:

TAZ: The Temporary Autonomous Zone, Ontological Anarchy, Poetic Terrorism- Hakim Bey (Peter Lamborn Wilson)

Tell  me about this book..  it interests me.   I'd like to know your thoughts.  @Trinity Anderson

Edited by M_The_Raven

On July 2, 2016 at 7:31 AM, Ana said:

Rumi - The Book of Love, translated by Coleman Barks,

I love RUMI!   
If you like Rumi @Ana --- you should read Hafiz.  (sometimes referred to as 'Hafez')
What's so interesting about Iranians today.   Every household in Iran has at least 2 books 
these books are very standard.    

1. Hafez: Collected poems
  2. the Qur'an 

It's so funny, because both of these books tend to be at odds.  
Hafez was a heretic.   He mocked the religious & the pious religious men.
He was a very spiritual man.  From Persia.   *modern day Shiraz Iran.
There's a monument to him there.   It's beautiful.   
I really recommend you read him.   It's so funny.  Ayatollah would have
had a fatwah on Hafez if he wasn't such a beloved icon in Iran. 
every child in their elementary school years in Iran learns Hafez by heart.
It's really quite a paradox of values.   HAFEZ loved to drink his wine!
Hafez really had a lot of resentment to what he referred to as "Pious Priests"
like the Islamic Council of Iran..  for example, Hafez would be drinking wine 
and telling them to (Title of poem) "STOP BEING SO RELIGIOUS" 
51fH7H5BGoL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Also -- you might enjoy Ferdowsi --- Shahnameh 
51jJake48fL.jpg

Edited by M_The_Raven

11 minutes ago, Ana said:

@M_The_Raven I LOVE Hafiz :) 

I mean, at least the little I have read of him, mainly quotes here and there. I actually never read a whole book but I might soon, because of your wonderful suggestion. Thank You :) 

Please do read it...  

You will love my friend Hafiz.    

IRAN is a holy place.   It's the home of Sufi mysticism, the Flames of Zoroaster, & Shia Islam.
It's very interesting to understand this paradox in Iran.   -- they're Persians before they're muslims.  
And Hafiz is as Persian as you can get.  Beloved man in Iran.
He's beloved by all Iranians..  ---  They would never deny his memory.  it's taught to the toddlers in elementary school
Like in USA..  We learn to memorize the Pledge of Allegiance or Star spangled Banner.
In  Iran.  -- they memorize Hafez poems --- it's necessary for school.    He's beloved in the country.
If one gets a chance.   Visit Iran.   with a guide or tour group though!    Don't go alone.   Go with a tourist group that you trust.
It's an amazing country!  

I also recommend you read 

Saadi Shirazi - if you enjoy Hafez & Rumi.  Another poet from that region

VISIT THEIR TOMBS in Shiraz Iran ----  it's a special place.

When you understand that Iranians love Hafez, Rumi, & Saadi. 
you appreciate these people in a more clearer light.   Sure, many 
if not majority are pious muslims, but they drink & smoke & are heretics too.
I really love the people of iran.   It's a strange place..  Very holy.

51YsFP0rf%2BL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jp

slide_3.jpg

slide_4.jpggettyimages-590644403_custom-7b185d1663c

Edited by M_The_Raven

I wish everyone would get a chance to visit IRAN.

“There are no words to describe the hospitality, kindness, love and gentleness of the Iranian people. So far we have ventured into over forty countries, but never have we experienced such generosity. Our bodies may be back in Montreal, but Iranian hospitality has stolen our hearts which are probably somewhere either in Esfahan or Shiraz.

treasures19.jpg 

A statue of the Iranian poet Hafiz, who was born in Shiraz in 1315 and died there in 1390. He is a beloved figure of the Iranian people, who learn his verses by heart. 

I wish I could show you,
When you are lonely or in the darkness,
The Astonishing Light
Of your own Being! – Hafiz 

Don't you wish the world was more interested in the soul than in politics & commodities & war?

I don't know.  it gets me down that Americans hate Iran so much.  
Why?    ---   People hate what they don't understand :( 

• Upvote 1

Me too...but you see...We are living at the mercy of capitalists...take america or any other country.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ana said:

I would love, love, love to visit :) 

http://www.bordersofadventure.com/travel-to-iran-things-to-know/

If you travel to iran.. you will be expected to keep your head covered in public.  but in private homes *you will be invited in
it is a laid back affair.  you will be offered liquor (illegal),  you can take off your headdress..  you can be a human!  
But in the streets. you would need to cover the head.. not a burka..  just a hijab.  -- and 3/4 inch sleeves is acceptable.
You will be very safe.  no one will hassle you!   Women are respected in Iran very much.  Just be respectable.
You wouldn't go to a church in Rome & be a disrespectful & heretical jerk regardless of your religious beliefs.
No.. You honor & respect the vibe.   It's just proper manners..  you're a guest --- you're expected to behave according to proper values.
Which doesn't mean be a slave.   it just means dress respectably for the public outings.   I know many women get hung up on it.

MANY IRANIAN women especially hate this too!  

Go with a tour guide.. and a group..
You will be grateful!   
https://www.gadventures.com/trips/iran-discover-persia/1054/?source=aw&awc=2204_1467554380_e9b709fdeb19f85ae96a95cd45ee7089

Here's one tour group I endorse.  

"When in rome.. do as the Romans do!"

• Upvote 1

Trust me..  Men are not allowed to be disrespectful or dress inappropriately in Iran either.  Haha.  
It's very Patriarchal.. it's a religious country.  but the people aren't very religious.. the government is!
They want tourists to visit & see Iran now though..  Especially from the west..  Europe & even the USA

but they want to remind you that you're not at your home country..  You must be respectful & have virtue & 
not disrespect the culture & manners of the society.   
If You do all that?  You will meet the kindest people on EARTH!  

They love AMERICANS ironically ---  as they would burn our flags and scream "Death to america"
You ask them..  "I'm american -- do you hate me?"    They say, "Oh my!   my first cousin Raz lives in Sarasota FL!"
"I love americans!    I just hate the wars your country wages!"

Death to america is a misunderstood term actually..  
it does;t mean death.  it's a bad translation into english.