Love or Respect?

121 posts in this topic

Love or respect?

I pondered this for only a short while as a child and discovered something interesting.

You can respect someone without loving them and you can love someone without respecting them.

Here's where it gets interesting...

If you love someone without respecting them they can't truly trust that your love is 100% authentic.  I mean how can they if you don't respect who they are?  

If you respect someone without loving them then some people feel abandoned and yet, you can only really trust someone who respects you.  

If one does not respect you then how can you be sure they will respect your house?  Your family?  Anything that comes through you or interaction with you?

Answer...You can't its impossible.

Often some refer to the definition of love as respect for all things that exist.  

Is this an implication that love is not the greatest power but respect is?

I have taken it as such all my life and what's funny...

I've found it much easier to get along with someone I don't agree with through respecting them than through trying to love them.  

Thus I have concluded...

Love is not the most powerful energy. Respect is the most powerful energy.

People who claim to love me have eventually said things that were not only unnecessary, they could even be considered rude and hurtful.  They get angry and forget all about love just blurting things out that they later regret.

I've never met a person who respected me that has ever said anything rude or unnecessary as long as I haven't said anything rude and unnecessary first.  Or unless we were playfully joking which is an agreement between us that implies these things aren't to be taken seriously.

I personally would like to have both but as it stands I'd much rather have respect than love.

I can say with 100% certainty the world will benefit much more from respect than love.  Respect is at the base of love but love isnt at the base of respect.  

Love is subjective and that's why love and hate are truly one in the same.  

What do you think?

Would you rather be loved or respected?

Would the world benefit more from love or respect?  

Would there be less hate in the world if instead of trying to love what you don't like you respected it? 

Think carefully before you answer...

I'd take (or give) love over respect any day. Love can transform hate or disrespect into respect. Love is not only a feeling, but also a bodily sensation. Respect is an important concept, but it's no more than a concept. If you have a feeling or sensation of respect, you're already being transformed by love.

23 minutes ago, Renat said:

I'd take (or give) love over respect any day. Love can transform hate or disrespect into respect. Love is not only a feeling, but also a bodily sensation. Respect is an important concept, but it's no more than a concept. If you have a feeling or sensation of respect, you're already being transformed by love.

I have respect for people who disgust me completely lol that's not love.

I have love for people I can just barely respect.  

Let me ask you these questions

How can you love someone you can't respect?  

If you have no respect for me how could you possibly convince me you love me?

What could you do to show someone who knows you don't respect them that you, behind all that, actually love them?

Respect is seeing someone as valid even if you disagree with them.

So how could you prove I'm valid without respecting me?  

Why would I want your love if you don't respect me?  

Is that not a blatant contradiction? 

"I don't respect you, but I love you."

In other words you don't matter but I love you?

How can that possibly make sense?

That's like being in school saying, "I don't respect this teacher so I won't listen, but I love her class."

Even if in the above scenario you love the subject of her class you still don't love her class because if you did you would listen.

You'd love the class if someone else was teaching it maybe but at that position in space-time you don't love that class even if you love that subject.

Is love not just a concept?  

You even said love comes from a feeling and is a bodily sensation.

That makes it not only a concept but a subjective connotation put on the very feeling and bodily sensation you refer to as love.  

respect is what makes the world function, respect for the law, for individual, for the system etc. Respect is the glue that holds society together and love is a higher state that I don't think humanity will ever collectively reach. A shame for sure, but it's reality.

12 minutes ago, authorofdarkness said:

respect is what makes the world function, respect for the law, for individual, for the system etc. Respect is the glue that holds society together and love is a higher state that I don't think humanity will ever collectively reach. A shame for sure, but it's reality.

Well.  The thought that love is a higher state is why there's a lack of it to begin with.

The simple fact of the matter is that a lack of respect is why humanity is failing as a species.

Lack of respect for humans, animals and plants, most importantly lack of respect for wisdom.

Love on the other hand is when respect meets subjectivity.  

You can only truly love someone/thing you respect but to love that person or thing one must feel attachment to it.  

There must be a self imposed reason for love or love does not exist.  

Without that self imposed reason there is only respect and a desire for what is necessary for oneself.

This is why I prefer to using some word other than love because of the subjective and cultural meaning it has. Even in the spiritual field "love" seems to be the ultimate thing but then again so many asks what is love?

Respect for me has been something I have wanted for such a long time. Like the vibe feel of respect that has been expressed to me, I feel unable to recall when someone (physically) gave me that.

The vibe of pure respect is freakishly powerful because it acknowledges and validates ones being. I have felt it in emotional integrations, I simply gave that respect to my inner child. Love is powerful too but I agree with you @Yamanu, if you know someone does not respect you love seems not to matter as much anymore. It can also be said that because you love someone you are willing to trust them, you are willing to trust that they respect you.

I choose a blend of both love and respect. To practice both the solid integrity of respect with the light heartedness of love and trust.

3 minutes ago, authorofdarkness said:

explain this so I understand better

Hmm...

Some have now become aware that polarity exists within this universe.

Good/Evil, Light/Darkness, wisdom/ignorance, good/bad, like/dislike.

Love is the polar opposite of Hate.

Love/Hate

We have learned that polarity can only exist if one is subjective about the energy they are presented with.

Otherwise one is balanced and polarity ceases existence.

However...

Somehow love still exists?  Then if love must still exist so must hate for they are one in the same.  Polar opposites.

We know that hate is caused by ones subjective view of the subject at hand or in question.  You can only hate something if you have an opinion about it.

Therefore its polar opposite must exist in the same way or not at all.

You can only love something if you have an opinion about it.

Now there are those who would argue that love has no opinion...

If that's the case then its definition would not be subjective.  It would be objective.

In other words someone's feelings wouldn't matter when it comes to love because according to the second to last above statement, love is not subjective.

How to define love?  This becomes the question.

The answer is simple.

You don't because everyone will have their own opinion about it.

The only thing everyone can agree upon is that to love someone you MUST respect them.  At the base of all love is respect.

Therefore in actuality without subjective connotation, due to the fact that its polarized in love/hate, and since every definition for love would be different person to person...

Love does not exist.  Rather people wrap their own opinions around the energy they recieve and say its love or the other.

Either way the image of love is self imposed therefore making love itself self imposed.

18 minutes ago, Jerry Tyfting said:

This is why I prefer to using some word other than love because of the subjective and cultural meaning it has. Even in the spiritual field "love" seems to be the ultimate thing but then again so many asks what is love?

Respect for me has been something I have wanted for such a long time. Like the vibe feel of respect that has been expressed to me, I feel unable to recall when someone (physically) gave me that.

The vibe of pure respect is freakishly powerful because it acknowledges and validates ones being. I have felt it in emotional integrations, I simply gave that respect to my inner child. Love is powerful too but I agree with you @Yamanu, if you know someone does not respect you love seems not to matter as much anymore. It can also be said that because you love someone you are willing to trust them, you are willing to trust that they respect you.

I choose a blend of both love and respect. To practice both the solid integrity of respect with the light heartedness of love and trust.

That's pretty accurate.

When you love someone you want to trust that they respect you because st the base of your love is the foundation of respect.

Respect is definitely validation even if you don't agree with each other you at least know your existence means something and your not just a bag in the wind.

Respect can exist without love but love cannot exist without respect.  

Its like animals.

How can you say I love all animals then go get a hamburger and expect people to believe you?

Your not respecting them so how could that have possibly advanced to love?

11 minutes ago, Yamanu said:

Hmm...

Some have now become aware that polarity exists within this universe.

Good/Evil, Light/Darkness, wisdom/ignorance, good/bad, like/dislike.

Love is the polar opposite of Hate.

Love/Hate

We have learned that polarity can only exist if one is subjective about the energy they are presented with.

Otherwise one is balanced and polarity ceases existence.

However...

Somehow love still exists?  Then if love must still exist so must hate for they are one in the same.  Polar opposites.

We know that hate is caused by ones subjective view of the subject at hand or in question.  You can only hate something if you have an opinion about it.

Therefore its polar opposite must exist in the same way or not at all.

You can only love something if you have an opinion about it.

Now there are those who would argue that love has no opinion...

If that's the case then its definition would not be subjective.  It would be objective.

In other words someone's feelings wouldn't matter when it comes to love because according to the second to last above statement, love is not subjective.

How to define love?  This becomes the question.

The answer is simple.

You don't because everyone will have their own opinion about it.

The only thing everyone can agree upon is that to love someone you MUST respect them.  At the base of all love is respect.

Therefore in actuality without subjective connotation, due to the fact that its polarized in love/hate, and since every definition for love would be different person to person...

Love does not exist.  Rather people wrap their own opinions around the energy they recieve and say its love or the other.

Either way the image of love is self imposed therefore making love itself self imposed.

ok I understand your point better now 

8 minutes ago, Yamanu said:

How can you say I love all animals then go get a hamburger and expect people to believe you?

Because you love the animals choice to support those who eat meat at this point in time. You love that they chose that experience to begin with. The animals perspective, they knew what path they would be on before they physically incarnated and thus they knew they would be killed and eaten. 

The beings (animals) who knows what to expect and in this case the expectation is pain or suffering, they are freakishly powerful, kind and loving to go through all of it to provide sustenance to those in need. It is an act of service that is born out of love and respect for those who might not be ready to leave that "killing cycle" yet. To me that is one of the most respecting things anyone can do. To love knowing you are gonna go through hell.

Then again all this might be a fancy justification and excuse :P 
by the way I'm vegetarian, just felt I got to mention it. 

19 minutes ago, authorofdarkness said:

ok I understand your point better now 

I think me and the number 33 have something going on.

I keep seeing 33,333 and 1313.

Literally and its 20:33 right now on the clock.

Almost every time one of you quotes my post I come to look and it says I posted it 33 minutes ago.  

I always see 33 on the clock just about every hour or other.

And on other websites 33 keeps popping up everywhere and I mean everywhere.  

333 was the first sign I saw and I read that that's the sign of the ascended masters.

Just now, Yamanu said:

I think me and the number 33 have something going on.

I keep seeing 33,333 and 1313.

Literally and its 20:33 right now on the clock.

Almost every time one of you quotes my post I come to look and it says I posted it 33 minutes ago.  

I always see 33 on the clock just about every hour or other.

And on other websites 33 keeps popping up everywhere and I mean everywhere.  

333 was the first sign I saw and I read that that's the sign of the ascended masters.

3 has a very bad meaning for me, most of the time when I woke up from psychic attacks it was at 3:00 AM. And when I was psychically attacked the beings always came in 3's. I don't like the number 3....

4 minutes ago, Jerry Tyfting said:

Because you love the animals choice to support those who eat meat at this point in time. You love that they chose that experience to begin with. The animals perspective, they knew what path they would be on before they physically incarnated and thus they knew they would be killed and eaten. 

The beings (animals) who knows what to expect and in this case the expectation is pain or suffering, they are freakishly powerful, kind and loving to go through all of it to provide sustenance to those in need. It is an act of service that is born out of love and respect for those who might not be ready to leave that "killing cycle" yet. To me that is one of the most respecting things anyone can do. To love knowing you are gonna go through hell.

Then again all this might be a fancy justification and excuse :P 
by the way I'm vegetarian, just felt I got to mention it. 

No no actually I'm impressed...

Your one of the first people I've ever met who said something that was the opposite that I've said in response to me and made valid points for understanding.

I like that post and what's more that makes perfect sense ?

It may have been justification for some people who claim not to eat meat.

But for those who don't it actually makes perfect sense.

You tied that perfectly into the circle of life and right now thinking about it my crown chakra is going nuts.

I've never been this impressed by anything other than the cartoons I used to watch.

That explanation if I heard it verbally would've probably made me shake your hand.

3 minutes ago, Yamanu said:

That explanation if I heard it verbally would've probably made me shake your hand.

I appreciate your respect ;) 
It feels nice :D 

Thank you.

heh we are setting up an awesome example of respect. I love it! xD