Renat

When your passion is killing you

18 posts in this topic

I love singing. I love listening to singers. I love voices. I love my own voice.

And yet...

When I was small, I tried to reproduce pop songs I heard on the radio. Failure. Can't get it right. Verdict: I suck at music. I do other things, at times with extraordinary results.

About 15 years later, I learned some rudimentary guitar, started writing my own songs. Felt great, but after 3 songs I felt the need to grow, so as not to repeat myself. Do I learn guitar or do I learn singing? I chose singing.

Another 10 years have passed. I have had vocal lessons since 2007, with a few different teachers, the longest that I stayed with one teacher was about 3 years from 2010 to 2014.

I still love singing, I still love voices, I still love my own voice. And yet I still can't sing.

Sometimes I think: I have to let it go. And then I let it go. Yet, after a while... I start again. I learn new, different things, I do ear training, I feel like I improve in some ways...and I still can't sing. I can place some beautiful notes here and there, and I sometimes come up with interesting ideas when improvising, but you don't really want to listen to me singing a Schumann or Schubert song. Which is, to me, the height of human expression.

I want to relocate again, start a new life in another country. Make that leap forward. Stop working at a boring corporate job, and start my own thing - whatever that is. I was pretty sure I'm strong enough now to quit singing. It seems not to be my gift, and I do need to discover my gift in order to stop depending on boring office jobs. And yet...I already started looking for singing teachers in my (supposedly) new city online. And I keep listening to singing lessons in my headphones, when doing repetitive tasks at work.

Can't seem to get good at it, can't seem to be able to let go of it. 

I would be immensely grateful for everyone's perspective on this. Thank you!

• Upvote 1

tough one. if you say it's your passion, i'd keep going. Maybe find ways to express it creatively. have you considered singing in a band?

• Upvote 1

The thing about singing is your true singing voice comes from the soul not the body.

You have to become the song.  One must not think about the words but become the words.  

I could teach you to sing its really not hard at all.  

For some it takes far more practice than othere.

The problem with singing instructors is that they don't actually know how to teach people to sing.  They can teach you notes and they can critique you.  Even demonstrate for you.

But they make you think too much.

Singing isn't about all that thinking your doing.  Its not about all that practice your giving it.  

Its about how you sing.

If you sing to sound good your doing it wrong, if you sing to impress others your doing it wrong.

You have to sing to sing.  

When you feel your voice coming out you mustn't listen to how it sounds, you must listen to the sound of your soul and natch that.

Harmonize with your soul not the song and that's the key to singing well.  

Of course you may not instantly become the best but after you learn to harmonize with your soul you'll be able to sense how to improve yourself.

You won't need instructors.

Don't think when singing, become the song.  

@Renat that may not make sense to you at first but if you keep doing it and ponder that phrase.

'Become the song'

You'll get it.

you love singing, just keep singing. why does it have to become something else, or get you somewhere, why the need for an end goal? 

give your heart what your heart wants. that's your compass in life. singing might not get you on a stage or famous, but who knows what or where following your singing drive will bring you? 

following one's passion can be seen as following a direction pointer. or following food smell to find the kitchen, even if the point to get there is just to get a spoon.

• Upvote 2

@Renat a singing instructor is actually for someone who can already sing but wants to improve

No one can reach your inner voice and draw that out but you.

Brian Johnson can't sing, he's made tons of money, every voice fits a certain style. But you're talking huge steps, my advice would be to plan carefully. But it's better to try and fail than to never have tried. :) 

"Follow your joy"

--Teal Swan

• Upvote 2

Reproducing the vocal work in pop songs is really tricky. Remember that there's a lot of post-processing involved, even in live shows.

Try singing a variety of more traditional forms. Even pop stars start with old-timey choir stuff.

Try looking up a website or instructional video series that will teach you canto gregoriano?

• Upvote 1

Nobody cares about technical singing ability. Nobody cares if you can play technically awesome guitar solos. Listen to Nirvana, and tell me why so many people love them. 

• Upvote 1

It's not about how technically hard it is, it's about how beautiful it is, and beauty can't be measured in such a way.

• Upvote 1

The money, is in your creativity, not your technical ability. No amount of technical skill can create beauty, but when you can create beauty, you can do so with whatever little technical ability you have. Hope that makes sense.

• Upvote 1

@Renat I agree with most of the above comments but mostly with @mufhry I love music and dancing and that is something I cannot resist along with a glass of sparkling wine but I do think my passions only facilitates my life purpose. I'm sure you got a beautiful voice and perhaps you are meant to be super star and it will definitely happen as you are hanging there. how about sharing some music with us here? :D