twisted love

why do people self harm

6 posts in this topic

plz only answer if u know for sure or you are a self harmer urself....no offesne to others..i just wanna know the truth. i used to self harm only for a short while for unconviental reasons probably. i wanna know why people do it for long periods of time other then...attention, and i don't mean that in a bad way. i mean other then attention ( a cry for help which what i did..actually) i just don't get it? one of my parents self harmed but they never told me why. i'm very curious

Edited by twisted love

there can be many reasons. im not self harming, but i did quite a long time ago. there are other reasons then attention i can assure you.

• endorphine rush (yeah the high can be quite the relief when theres emotional pain going on)
  • wanting to "release pressure", wanting to "let what is painful flow out of the body"
  • wanting to give a sharp focus on the here and now when stressful situations arise that usually lead to dissociation
  • internal struggles that manifest as a war on the skin
  • if someone had been punished by authority figures in childhood, sometimes they have a hard time exiting that pattern and start punishing themselves, or if someone did something that they believe was wrong they might do that too.

these are all motifs that dont have to be attention-seeking. but the answer is always, give whoever struggles like that more love not less (as long as it starts with loving yourself more first), as there is always some sort of trauma there that leads to that, that needs to be healed and integrated.

• Upvote 2

I did it a couple of times a few years ago when I felt bored and lifeless. I needed to feel that sharp pain to feel alive again.

A bit more recently, I did it because I felt stuck in life and couldn't see a way to progress. I felt a strong rage, almost like allowing myself to be possessed by a demon...so I lit a match and applied it to the skin on my arms again.

Plus, I like the looks of the scars. They are unmistakably there, yet small enough to go unnoticed by others.

Article version of Ask Teal Video (might be useful...quicker to read than watch) :) As someone who is working on healing self harm I feel that Teal's explanation resonates and it highly accurate.