Sign in to follow this  
twisted love

who wants to help me with a dumb trivial issue?

4 posts in this topic

i no this is a dumb issue but i can't stop feeling bad so i thought i'd write here. so today i was looking for a new place to rent and i found a place online....i asked the girl if there was a deposit i had to pay when i sign the lease. she said nope and then she said she is not the landlord and gave me the  landlords number. i spoke to the landlord for a few minutes and he told me to bring id and a checkbook.....becuase i had to give him first and last months rent. and i no that i s a normal proceduree.....it's just most ppl would call that a deposit right?!!!!! i told him that i was told there no deposit i just had to sign the lease, and he was just rude and annoyed and condesceding to me. and kept saying that giving him first and last months rent in advance is not a depost it's just paying rent and he was mad at me for thinking i could sign a lease without doing so.  i'm not mad at him for expcting first and last months rent in advance...i just don't understad why he doesn't consider that to be a desposit then tells me there is no deposit and get mad at me for being confused and not being able to pay immediately. idk he made me feel really stupid....but idk...wouldn't u consider giving two months rent in advice a deposist? i just wanna know what is considered a deposit.

It's because you are thinking of deposit in the true sense of the word. Understandable. However, in "rental lingo" there is verbage known as a "security deposit". They were assuming this is what you meant, and because they are not good at their job, they were assholes to you, instead of being accommodating of your not knowing such. They were fucking up. 

• Upvote 1

the last/extra month rent paid in advance is to ensure that you won't leave without notice. at some point you'll use that and it'll mean is your last month there. 

the deposit is money you take back at the end, if you haven't done any damage to the place that will require it to cover for. the pet deposit has the same purpose.