Sign in to follow this  
twisted love

i have a bad habit of telling myself the story of my abuse and misfortunes daily

3 posts in this topic

as the title says i recite the story of my abuse and misfortunes daily. idk why, i've just been doing it for a long time and it's become a habit. it's kinda comforting too. The main reason i did it tho, was because my life has felt like such a mess and for years, and idk i guesse i just tell myself it's ok, my life is this way because of all the abuse  i had to deal with. don't be so hard on myself.... i had to deal with so much. i suppose it kinda sounds like an excuse and  it is alittle but but not entirely. my life has finally stopped feeling like such a mess and such a struggle so i want to stop reciting the stories of  my abuse  but .....idk i've been doing for years so it's hard to stop. how do i break such a habit. 

• Upvote 3

In finding ways to feel better about something, which is a large part of shadow work, what we're essentially trying to do is find relief. If you found relief in those thoughts that's great. Now, you are starting to feel the contrast from this new place and these thoughts aren't cutting it anymore. If you reach you might find a better feeling thought. Maybe something like "I like knowing that things will be going better for me soon ", or, "I enjoy the relief this thought gives me." Try to keep that going.

Being general is an easy access point because general statements are generally easy to accept. Your statements about your past are general and in the slightly positive side of things. So if you find yourself thinking these thoughts, feel the relief and enjoy it. Then, when the thoughts start to bug you, move to something a little better. You don't have to wait for them to bug you, but just be easy about it.

Edited by Adam

the right conclusion at the end of reciting it would make it stop.

if it's still here, you didn't draw the right conclusion yet, or you've overlooked it.