Guest

Boasting or Boosting?

9 posts in this topic

Guest

I've been accused many times and I can even tell when I talk to some people here they think I'm arrogant.

I always speak highly of myself I struggle to find something wrong with me.

I've been told many times I need to be more humble when I speak of me.

As it stands I don't see myself as arrogant and the way I speak of myself is definitely far more humble than how I truly envision myself.

Any more taken away and I might as well not speak I'd lose all my authenticity which I don't speak much except on these forums anyway.

When I do though people get the impression that I think I'm better than others when really I think they have...

An inferiority complex.  (An obsession with seeing flaws in oneself and disliking others who don't down talk themselves.)

Or maybe they just see me as better...

Either way I don't think that's my fault and I don't see a need to downplay myself so they don't feel bad about themselves.

I especially see this pattern in people who say 'Everyone is the same'.  

Is it boasting or boosting to only speak highly of oneself?  If its boasting why do you think so?  

If you see it as arrogance why do you think so?

Have you had the same experience before?

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Yamanu said:

I've been accused many times and I can even tell when I talk to some people here they think I'm arrogant.

I always speak highly of myself I struggle to find something wrong with me.

I've been told many times I need to be more humble when I speak of me.

As it stands I don't see myself as arrogant and the way I speak of myself is definitely far more humble than how I truly envision myself.

Any more taken away and I might as well not speak I'd lose all my authenticity which I don't speak much except on these forums anyway.

When I do though people get the impression that I think I'm better than others when really I think they have...

An inferiority complex.  (An obsession with seeing flaws in oneself and disliking others who don't down talk themselves.)

Or maybe they just see me as better...

Either way I don't think that's my fault and I don't see a need to downplay myself so they don't feel bad about themselves.

I especially see this pattern in people who say 'Everyone is the same'.  

Is it boasting or boosting to only speak highly of oneself?  If its boasting why do you think so?  

If you see it as arrogance why do you think so?

Have you had the same experience before?

 

 

 

 

boasting is the practice of unnecessary unrealistic inflation of the self which usually stems from an inadequate view of self. I don't think that's you. 

humility is never bad thing to cultivate or demonstrate. I think there is a certain expectation within the spiritual community of humility and you don't conform to it and that's fine but it does bother people at times. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
8 minutes ago, authorofdarkness said:

boasting is the practice of unnecessary unrealistic inflation of the self which usually stems from an inadequate view of self. I don't think that's you. 

humility is never bad thing to cultivate or demonstrate. I think there is a certain expectation within the spiritual community of humility and you don't conform to it and that's fine but it does bother people at times. 

 

Lol I see what you mean.  

Those people I bother I think they need it.  Everyone has a different level of humility depending on how skillful they are in life.

Can't expect us all to talk the same if we aren't even all on the same, let's not say level, hmm.....If we aren't achieving the same results.

I've never been bothered by someone talking highly of them self or even boasting.

I might test them though lol if they are as good as they say then I'll get a good mental or physical workout which is exhilarating to say the least.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was one one point in my life when I was extremely confident and and was a really out spoken  person and  just  generally  really  fun.. but some  people  took it the wrong way .. And  had a way to put me down as a  person .. my  confidence .... They  made me feel really low and stupid ....and they made me doubt myself. Made me feel I was   suicidal. They  killed  the person I knew.. The real me. 

But with my mums wisdom amd support I stood up for my self 3 years  later. And  made sure we all had a big family  meeting  and  I  finally   said  my piece.. finally  asked my questions of why I was being treated like this. I made my voice loud and clearly clear and said it with confidence and said it in   a respectable  manner. Infront of the who. . le family

and you know what .... 

She had no answer..! Nothing! 

But she looked liked  a fool when she couldn't answer. 

 

So back to ur question. I don't believe  it's arrogance. Don't  let other people  tell you  .. what u are. 

 

I believe it's boooosting.   It's good to boast urself.  You  will have  more inner  power  this way.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
2 minutes ago, neina said:

There was one one point in my life when I was extremely confident and and was a really out spoken  person and  just  generally  really  fun.. but some  people  took it the wrong way .. And  had a way to put me down as a  person .. my  confidence .... They  made me feel really low and stupid ....and they made me doubt myself. Made me feel I was   suicidal. They  killed  the person I knew.. The real me. 

But with my mums wisdom amd support I stood up for my self 3 years  later. And  made sure we all had a big family  meeting  and  I  finally   said  my piece.. finally  asked my questions of why I was being treated like this. I made my voice loud and clearly clear and said it with confidence and said it in   a respectable  manner. Infront of the who. . le family

and you know what .... 

She had no answer..! Nothing! 

But she looked liked  a fool when she couldn't answer. 

 

So back to ur question. I don't believe  it's arrogance. Don't  let other people  tell you  .. what u are. 

 

I believe it's boooosting.   It's good to boast urself.  You  will have  more inner  power  this way.  

 

 

Yep I'd say just don't boost yourself using others and don't boast higher than you are unless it's a scare tactic in a dangerous situation.

Boasting higher than you are is dangerous to your self worth because if you fall short too often you'll begin to doubt yourself more than believe in the lies you've been telling lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
5 minutes ago, neina said:

Lies that I've been  telling ..? 

Not you.

Speaking objectively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah ok.  Yes.   

Mmmm. I understand. Yes ... mussnt boost  too much of self. Yes. I agree. 

But .. from my past experience. . I've definitely learnt to make myself very strong and  not allow  negative  comments  from  others. . .  And regained my confidence  again.  Mustn't  let  anyone change  you .... unless  you want to change urselve.   :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
2 minutes ago, neina said:

Ah ok.  Yes.   

Mmmm. I understand. Yes ... mussnt boost  too much of self. Yes. I agree. 

But .. from my past experience. . I've definitely learnt to make myself very strong and  not allow  negative  comments  from  others. . .  And regained my confidence  again.  Mustn't  let  anyone change  you .... unless  you want to change urselve.   :)

 

 

Well said.  

I've just noticed that over boasting can cause disillusionment and misjudgement of ones true capabilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now