Open_Eyes_Say_Yes

Facing Fear/ Leaving your comfort zone

2 posts in this topic

I'm embarking on acceptance and commitment therapy and already the main premises of it have really hit home for me. The therapy essentially gets you to outline what is personally most meaningful to you and then work on using mindfulness skills to enable you to deal with fear that is stopping you from acquiring the things you should prioratise. I have cut down on many of the distractions that were stopping me from facing my fears (e.g shoppig, social media, overeating). My fears mainly relate to social anxiety and I have been inviting people round, going on dates and phoning people but I'm finding it so exhausting. It's hard to decipher if I'm making progress as I'm doing the things that are more meaningful but finding them very stressful still! It's undermining my confidence that I will ever get to a stage of being able to face my fears without being crushed with anxiety. Any advice please?

Edited by Open_Eyes_Say_Yes
  • Upvote 1

On 6/27/2016 at 9:22 AM, Open_Eyes_Say_Yes said:

I'm embarking on acceptance and commitment therapy and already the main premises of it have really hit home for me. The therapy essentially gets you to outline what is personally most meaningful to you and then work on using mindfulness skills to enable you to deal with fear that is stopping you from acquiring the things you should prioratise. I have cut down on many of the distractions that were stopping me from facing my fears (e.g shoppig, social media, overeating). My fears mainly relate to social anxiety and I have been inviting people round, going on dates and phoning people but I'm finding it so exhausting. It's hard to decipher if I'm making progress as I'm doing the things that are more meaningful but finding them very stressful still! It's undermining my confidence that I will ever get to a stage of being able to face my fears without being crushed with anxiety. Any advice please?

You're already doing that. You're doing a great job. You are jumping into it full force, excellent! That's super brave and super awesome. Finding this exhausting is normal, you are taking on a lot. You are demonstrating you are capable of overcoming your fears, that's pretty friggin awesome. Keep trying, but do it with the understanding that if you are never a social butterfly that's perfectly fine. The only thing you have to do is overcome your fears enough to meet your needs and to do the things you want to. I think it's awesome that you are doing this, and I hope you continue to do so :)