Emily87

Tarot - divination or psychological tool?

I would like to ask Tarot users if they use tarot as a form of divination or more as a psychological tool. Personally, I do not believe in a fixed destiny and I prefer to use it as a window into the subconscious, but I have had eerie experiences where the cards have shown me exact outcomes of certain events. Since I tend to use it very rarely because....it got way to real. What are your thoughts on this?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have been here for a while, but I wouldn’t consider myself to be the typical Tealer. (Could just be my mistaken intuition about what a Tealer is supposed to be.  I imagine that Tealer fully believe that crystals have consciousness, and a Psychic can predict the future using Tarot cards.)

Me:  I try to take a philosophical approach.  Physical reality is real.  Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  Scientific research is a valid means to determine truth.  When psychics are tested, their results are about as good as guessing. You can’t know what you don’t know, and intuition is occasionally right, but often wrong. (At least mine are often wrong.). However, I also know that I don’t know what I don’t know.  So it’s possible that a talented psychic can divine the future (but I doubt it)

However, I agree with you that Tarot might give insight into the subconscious.  

I am not certain about the Law of Attraction.  There does seem to be an intelligence that organizes the Universe.  However, I am not sure if that intelligence is “out there” or it’s all in my head.

1 hour ago, Emily87 said:

I would like to ask Tarot users if they use tarot as a form of divination or more as a psychological tool. Personally, I do not believe in a fixed destiny

That's fate then. Fate and destiny are two seperate things. 

1 hour ago, Emily87 said:

but I have had eerie experiences where the cards have shown me exact outcomes of certain events. Since I tend to use it very rarely because....it got way to real.

If you feel it genuinely works and has proven to show tangible answers, then no harm in using it. If you think it might just be some novelty or psychological tool, well it actually depends on the person. There are some who could be legit and some who tailor it to circumstantial consistencies. to match what is already there. Since you'be done it yourself, these are your own results. You've stated that your tarot sessions match coming events but depends if you're actually using in a psychological format or a divination one. 

34 minutes ago, Scot said:

I have been here for a while, but I wouldn’t consider myself to be the typical Tealer. (Could just be my mistaken intuition about what a Tealer is supposed to be.  I imagine that Tealer fully believe that crystals have consciousness, and a Psychic can predict the future using Tarot cards.)

I somewhat dislike that term. She's not the one who originated this idea. In some way, applying it only gives her more credit than is due. Attaching a premise of practice or ideology to a person isn't really correctly applicable.

34 minutes ago, Scot said:

I am not certain about the Law of Attraction.  There does seem to be an intelligence that organizes the Universe.  However, I am not sure if that intelligence is “out there” or it’s all in my head.

Something to think about might be "how did we start breathing from birth without thinking to do it?" Even subconciously, something happened in automation to set it off without human intervention, aside from making the baby, but even then, how does the sperm just 'know' to go (directly) to the egg if it did go directly to it? And how was the biological "Programming" (because I can't think of a better word become how it ) implemented in that function to form it?

Edited by Inquisitor

4 hours ago, Emily87 said:

use it as a window into the subconscious, but I have had eerie experiences where the cards have shown me exact outcomes of certain events.

Hi again.  I think this goes to the question of how closely the circumstances have to match before we say “it’s an exact match”.  

Want to tell one of your stories?  It could be interesting.

Hey Emily!

The answer is...BOTH!

The future is not set in stone. The beauty about tarot cards is that they act as a tool of divination. So essentially, you can get an idea of what you are currently in-alignment with.

What's even cooler about tarot cards is that they have now provided you a means to potentially dodge a bullet! The best tarot readers not only read your (most potential) future, but assist you in changing yourself in the now to affect change in the future. The reason tarot cards are so accurate is because most people do not actively reflect and make drastic changes to their way of thinking/being/behaving. Therefore, you can usually count on a perceived (near) future coming into fruition. That being said, with this awareness you have the unique opportunity to act as a catalyst for change!

You are completely correct, there is no set future. Hope this provided some clarification and took some of the spook out of the cards!

Blessings,

- Michael

I'm probably just agreeing with the others, but I'm happy to say I use Tarot. I see them both ways at once. They can help you see the future, because they're a cipher: you read into them what you feel, and what you feel is what you will generally bring about, conciously or otherwise. They spell out what can be for you, depending on what you ask, and that's basically reading your future, if you choose to let that future be so.

They're made to be vague enough that you'll see only yourself in them. When you're asking them for advice, you're actually asking yourself... and nobody knows your potential future better than yourself. That said, there have been many occasions where they spell out something that happens exactly... synchronicity happens too.

• Downvote 1

On 6/16/2018 at 4:07 PM, Emily87 said:

I would like to ask Tarot users if they use tarot as a form of divination or more as a psychological tool. Personally, I do not believe in a fixed destiny and I prefer to use it as a window into the subconscious, but I have had eerie experiences where the cards have shown me exact outcomes of certain events. Since I tend to use it very rarely because....it got way to real. What are your thoughts on this?

I agree with many of the views here=)

I am reading the cards like for 20 years now, and while it has never failed to deliver the correct information about the CURRENT emotional state, feelings and behavioral patterns of myself and others, it did fail me to provide me with info. on the future. I can't blame the cards, because, over the years I have just realized that Tarot CAN give information about the most dominant possibility at the time of the reading- which-however can change depending on the choices one makes after the reading.

I am thinking, even receiving info. on the most dominant possibility of a future path will change your thoughts, emotions, your choices and actions regarding your future, the moment you start to read, your energy changes compared to the previous moments which you have not yet received a reading.

For example- that actually happened guys: I was thinking about buying a car. I got a reading, the reader suddenly told me that I may have a huge car accident in near future and that I should be careful while I was driving. Guess what, I did not buy the car at the time, thus I never got an accident. The future immediately changed because I changed my mind. I did buy a car later on, but I don't like driving, I never did, so I usually don't unless I have to - and I am being very careful - because I have focus problems lol 😃  So the moment you receive info on a possibility - you have the free will to change your mind- thus change your future.

From that perspective, I do suggest to continue getting info on the most dominant potential life paths (future)- so that it mirrors me where I am going towards and If I don't like what I see, I ask the cards how I can change (whether I should change) that path and what would be the best path for me and what I should be doing to achieve it 😃

Love

Irem

I read Jung, based on him, I can affirm that the tarot is a tool to work with the unconscious, but not in the traditional way, not in the way that tarot readers traditionally use.
 Jung in some of his sessions used the tarot but with the drawings up, and asked his patient to choose a card at random, knowing that this chance is conditioned by the patient's own unconscious, and then asked the patient to perform a observation about it. Basically he worked with the tarot at the projective level, it can be a very useful tool if you work in this way.
Now, if I have to talk about the interpretation that a professional tarot reader does, I would say that intuition plays a fundamental role in that interpretive role, but in that sense intuition can play against the reader, since the Intuition is about learned associations that respond to the rapid processing of information from the world.
 Since intuition consists of learned associations, it can also be manifested through prejudices, the bad news is that we can often make mistakes about these prejudices in relation to the real moment. That is why the divinatory tarot has high probabilities of erring, In addition to not empowering the consultant at all and is not the best purpose that can be given to this tool. The most successful utility that we can give to the tarot, is self-knowledge.

Sorry for my basic English.

Edited by karinar

On 6/16/2018 at 9:07 AM, Emily87 said:

Personally, I do not believe in a fixed destiny and I prefer to use it as a window into the subconscious, but I have had eerie experiences where the

There are certain things/events that are set in stone! I swear! Like the Sun, the Moon, the stars, the ocean, the sky, the wind.... etc. etc. etc. I mean, no matter what, every morning you wake up and it is all still there!... 

There are severe consequences for going against Mother Nature and we all know and have seen that many times. Nuclear bombs, for ex. Weather control. Oil extraction and other sick experiments with nature. Seasons change when time is right and accordingly with Divine Order. There are also set cycles from calendar to how long it takes one seed to grow into fruit.

There is a great reason why many seers have a hard time seeing their own future. I don't know if they are protected or what or it is just too much information. 

Plus a good seer sees with the most clarity when disidentified from his/her self in order to gain the most accurate perception and remove the individual filter. So, that maybe explains their own struggles since there is very little identity left..

19 hours ago, karinar said:

Since intuition consists of learned associations, it can also be manifested through prejudices, the bad news is that we can

Sometimes it's just better to get reading from an independent source(s) that you trust.

Tarot is how I see everything and anything.  It is my method to access my higher self and bypass the fragments that are not integrated that want me to believe their views.  It is how I see my motivations and how I see what others do to block themselves.  It shows the future if you continue to follow the current vibration.  It connects with those who have passed and delivers direct messages.  It is specifically a tool to hear my guides and relay messages both literally and figuratively.  I love my cards and would be helpless to navigate anything without them as a tool

• Upvote 1

Most people already know the answer or at least have an idea of what they want to see. So, when people  draw a card or ask a psychic  to do it, they often look for a conformation to that which they want to happen.

Intuitively people can also pick up from external signs. These signs especially feel right when least expected or when one is not deliberately looking for an answer. When the mind isn't so desperately focused on finding an answer, it relaxes. The heart opens up a little more. And the answer comes.

Notice how sometimes you are thinking about something and then absolutely random person speaks about the same thing. This can be used as a signal to check in with yourself and trust the direction. 

• Like 1