Sign in to follow this  
Scot

Satanism: the spirit of evil

Satanism: the spirit of evil

I don’t believe in spirits as external entities. I see them as archetypes within us.  When we say “possessed by a demon” I think that means operating out of dark spirit that is within all of us.  But I do not believe there is an external entity that has entered the physical body.  

So Satan exists, not as an external entity but rather as a spirit within.

i have seen a few people acting as though they were filled with hate.  They operate according to some of the principles captured by Anton LaVey in the Satanic Bible.  For example, “If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat them cruelly and without mercy.”  And also:  “Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates.” And “Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek.”

I do not advocate vengeance.  Actually, I advocate loving-kindness.  (May all beings (even the ingrates) have open hearts that are filled with loving-kindness, both for themselves and for others.). 

However,  people who operate out of hate might actually be better people if they adopted a few more of the Satanic principles:

(Some of) The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth

Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.

Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.

When in another's lair, show them respect or else do not go there.

When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them.

reference:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaVeyan_Satanism

I want to talk about it because some people seem to operate under the principles of Satanism but they dont’t even know it.  (Walt for example.) When you operate out of hate, it’s like you are possessed by a demon.  He had faith (or so he said) but no trust in people. He said you don’t need trust when you have faith. 

Walt put his faith in “God” but didn’t know that God was Satan.  

It seemed to me that walt operated as though the world is a terrible horrible place and we all have to put up walls to protect ourselves from each other.  Sometimes we do need to protect ourselves.    He took it upon himself to “rattle cages” and give people “real world experience”.  

Now I have some real world experience too, and my experience is that, for the most part, people are okay. Sure we all make mistakes and sometimes hurt each other’s feelings.  But deep down, we are pretty decent to each other.

Satan tells you “you are okay and people like you are okay but others who deserve to be treated cruelly and unmercifully.”  I think people need to realize when they act this way and try to learn some loving-kindness.

Edited by Scot

I find Lavey Satanism really interesting. I've heard it was made as a development (or counter-reaction to) Crowley's satanism, and as a parody of organized (particularly Christian) religion. My understanding of it is that it relies a lot on consentual boundaries; as per the tenets of:

10 hours ago, Scot said:

Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.

Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.

When in another's lair, show them respect or else do not go there.

When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them.

That's really just 'assume everyone sets, and wants to maintain the boundaries that they act out. Respect those boundaries. If they don't respect yours in turn, all bets are off, don't bother respecting theirs'. Which is pretty much 'treat others as you would yourself be treated', when you really boil it down.

I've not really read that much about it, but what I have seen says it's very much a celebration of the ego concept.