moonjump

Mother/Daughter issues when child doesn't talk/no comprehension

Mother/Daughter issues when child doesn't talk/no comprehension

My daughter with downs syndrome struggles to talk and has a difficult time with her emotions. they are really intense and i know it is because of how I have not helped her through her emotions when she was younger. how do i now help her when she doesn't have the comprehension and we can't talk to each other.

In what way is she mirroring you? 

In what way do you feel overwhelmed by your own emotions? Can you be compassionately present with your own feelings? 

The best way to help her with her emotions is to accept them(her) and stay present with her regardless. You send her the message that she is ok as is which will help her calm down. It's the best anxiety disperser

There is a program called every move counts that can give some ideas for nonverbal communication that might help. Try that in combination with your inner work, finding the part in you that has trouble with intense emotions and being present for yourself and hers.

Oftentimes words get in the way. Verbal communication is something we have grown to be heavily reliant on, however it is the nonverbal that is the most powerful. Nothing beats a genuine and loving hug. So many people just need to be hugged. All people just need to be acknowledged and understood/seen for exactly as they are. Let your daughter know that you see how she feels and accept her just as she is.

Best of luck!

Blessings,

- Michael