Tessa Rae

Cause of B12 malabsorption? :)

5 posts in this topic

Hey all!

In light of Teal's new video, I'm just gonna put myself out here to get a conversation going!

So, over the past year I have discovered that I have b12 malabsorption... After being a vegan and realizing that I was losing the 'moons' on my fingernails despite taking a b12 supplement every day, I came to discover I must be having a problem with absorbing b12!

I've looked into the physical causes of it and heard celiac could be a cause, so I have been gluten free for a while. Meanwhile, I'm taking a b12 supplement with intrinsic factor and pancreatic enzymes so that my body and still uptake it in my body.

I've tried looking into the spiritual causes, but haven't found much. After asking myself what the cause could be, I have some possible answers, but would like you guys' input as well :)

I asked what b12 does, and it helps give you energy, which in turn helps with cognitive function and the likes. If I am malabsorbing b12, I think this could translate over to the emotional cause of not absorbing positive energy when I am with other people. This certainly makes sense to me, as sometimes I feel like I tend to dwell on the negative while the positive moments in my life get only a little bit of air time in my mind.

What do you guys think? Have any other ideas what could be causing this? Thanks for your kind input :)

actually I'm going to move this to the health forum! thx

Edited by Tessa Rae

Hi :) 

your question raised some awareness for me because before Ive never paid attention to "moons". However as far as Im concerned b12 malabsorption is quite common, primarly because the supplements are not being taken with something that make the body alkaline in order to absorb it. Next time you can try to take them with a glass of water with a squeeze of lemon aside (if you dont like lemon, orange is good too). have you ever consider shots? They are faster and effective.  

Moreover to the emotional cause, could it be a that you need more time and not to push yourself so hard? Im guessing, but since a lack of energy would cause you to take it slow and more gentle it might be the case. I hope it was helpful!

I haven't had any meat in over 3 years now and never had any problems. As far as i know we also get  B12 by getting enough sunlight.  

Try nutritional yeast! It's full of all different b vitamins!

But tbh i believe that there's no enough or not enough when it comes to nutrition. When my brother came back from his traveling,  he told me about people that live on one spoon of rice or something like that. They look young and have healthy hair and nails. So, it's probably our conditioning and fear that something can go wrong if we don't get enough vitamins ?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Collide said:

i would stop taking chemical supplements and try spiralina that has b12 naturally i believe. Here's my fav https://www.amazon.com/Nutrex-Hawaii-Hawaiian-Spirulina-Pacifica/dp/B0039ITKR4/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1467154734&sr=8-3&keywords=spirulina

Yesss SPIRULINA all the way!!!! YUM YUM put it in smoothies, juices, soups, get creative!!! When you go natural, you can absorb it much easier!!! This Nutrex Hawaii Spirulina is my favorite brand too, they come as tablets and powder. Other brands work too, just make sure it's 100% PURE Spirulina with no added ingredients! :D 

• Upvote 1