Sign in to follow this  
annabelle95

Trauma around asserting boundaries

Trauma around asserting boundaries

Anyone have also a huge trauma around asserting boundaries? Every time I think of speaking from the heart or saying no towards unwelcome things I get huge anxiety. I don't remember much either from childhood I just remember being shamed as bad and selfish when expressing boundaries and as a spoil sport.....

can anyone relate? 

Would love to talk about this and share to make this clearer for me

I like what Brene Brown said about boundaries and trust.  Boundaries is one of the components of trust.

-I won’t be able to trust you if you won’t respect my boundaries.  And if I won’t respect my own boundaries then you can’t trust me.  So setting and respecting boundaries is really important.

But here is a related thought:  walls are bad.  Walls keep us separate... keep us from connection.  We should let the walls down to experience connection.  On the other hand boundaries need to be respected otherwise we can’t trust each other.  So what is the difference between a boundary and a wall?  I think each person might have to figure that out for themselves.