Sign in to follow this  
Catherine Allen

Pizzas good or bad?

Pizzas good or bad?

Hi all,

My children love pizzas. I used to try different varieties of pizzas in the recently bought pizza oven for sale. When I make pizzas I do not add too much of artificial flavors in the toppings. I mostly make the topping with homemade items. But last day, when I visited one of my friends, he said that pizzas are not a good breakfast. Is it so? What might be the reason for that if pizzas cannot be taken as a breakfast? My children always ask me to give them pizzas for breakfast. The main intention of giving pizzas to my children is for them to eat vegetables. If I give them a  veg dish they never eat it. But when I give the vegetables as a topping of pizza they eat it. 

On 4/11/2018 at 6:55 AM, Catherine Allen said:

But last day, when I visited one of my friends, he said that pizzas are not a good breakfast. Is it so?

Ask your friend...

My conclusion after experimenting with inedia is that nutrition only exists as our beliefs about it. If you like to eat pizza for breakfast, and I could ever argue in a scientific way that this was unhealthy, and you were convinced to change your behavior then you made me into an expert...

Btw if I could choose, I would have loved to live on vegan pizza for a very long time as a child :)

Edited by Blaze35

Pizza isn't something we eat for breakfast or even consider in our household as the first thing in the morning. 

Break Fast - "breaking fast" happens gradually allowing body to slowly wake up by creating a healthy microflora -  is litteraly what you might want to evaluate when it comes to breakfast. But then again... we don't know your other food routine for the rest of the day. 

Flour, eggs, sugar.... = cake. But so does a pancake. 

I would highly encourage you to check your children's bowel movement. Is it twice a day? 

I am not saying pizza is bad. Depends on a pizza, of course. The thing is if the healthy microflora is not maintained than eating bread, dairy, etc. eventually is going to create some serious issues. 

• Like 1

A thing that came up for me is one principle of Nutrition;

If some food tastes bad then it is harmful to the body.

Most people don't align their actions with this principle. It would be like a slap in the face for most parents, I imagine. I remember I stopped that when I internalized my parents' belief that waste is bad.

It can be the case that some food tastes good because the body needs that food for emotional rather than merely physical reasons.

For example, you can illuminate this principle for yourself by

• Chewing one bite thoroughly for perhaps several minutes
  • Eating the same food in many different conditions; when full, hungry, sick, etc.
  • Swallowing your food for several consecutive meals while paying attention to the body
  • (Dry) fasting and emerging yourself in any arising feelings of hunger (/thirst)

Also if any of you actually try to do any of what I just mentioned then please say so and maybe share your experiences. Usually, I've found that people just go "yeah, yeah, I agree or disagree" when I talk, and then nothing, and then I often reply with different ways to experience that for themselves (aka "bridges"), and then they don't do what I say.

Edited by Blaze35

Many times someone, particularly children, might say food tastes bad because they are unfamiliar with the taste. It's important to try and incorporate all tastes into each meal, sweet, salty, sour, pungent, bitter, and astringent. Blaze35 when you said "

On 4/12/2018 at 1:01 PM, Blaze35 said:

nutrition only exists as our beliefs about it

I would have to disagree with this. I am much more of a strong believer in you are what you eat. Someone would not be well off on a diet of only twinkie bars even if they believed they would be. 

I don't think pizza for breakfast is a good thing to do. Garnet explained the problems with it well. It is usually best to make breakfast a liquid based meal, witch is why cereal is so common, because after a nights sleep you've gone a long time without water and are fairly dry. A breakfast I make often is a miso soup with a variety of vegetables and an egg yolk stirred in just before eating. I'm sure it can be a struggle changing the kids breakfast away from pizza, but again I think it really would be best for them.