Melody Sky

Should I quit my job even though I have nothing else lined up

9 posts in this topic

Should I quit my job even though I have nothing else lined up

Hi all, I would like some opinions.

I am no longer a vibrational match to my job. I have been fighting the feeling of leaving for over 4 years now but I have finally come to a point in my life where I can't work even if I go to my job. I just sit there staring at my computer screen barely doing one or two things in an 8 hour time span. And a voice in my head keeps telling me that I am wasting my time there.  I want to quit but I have a fear that if I leave the job I won't be able to pay my bills. Furthermore, I don't want to have a job. I have a lot of resistance to getting jobs so I usually don't keep them.

There is something else I want to do with my life but I am not making progress because of a fear of failure and I have a lot of inner blockages, namely shame and worth issues. I have been working on these issues so that I can make progress in my life.  But these are not issues that go away with a snap of the finger. I know it is not such a smart idea to quit this job when I don't have anything else going for me yet. But for some reason, I feel with every fiber of my bone that I should be spending all my time on this project/idea that I have. But fear of failing is holding me back. 

I am so confused and frustrated that I don't know what I should think or do. Should I honor my feelings and do what makes me feel good or stick to logic and grind it out at this job even if I am so unhappy that I have been diagnosed as clinically depressed.

I have no one to rely on to pay my bills but I do have savings. My fear is that if I run out of savings and my project didn't work out, I would have to go get another job again to survive. 

Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

My first comment is, I'm impressed that you'e been at the same job for four years.  It's quite an accompliment.... And I'd say you can' really say you really don' keep jobs anymore.

My second comment would be, try to figure out how to increase your performance at your current job, since you'e admitted to not being as productive as you want to be.   .... And while your doing that, test the market for a new more (relatively) exciting job.

Third, practice telling us/people/yourself what you think you want to accomplish in life.... for that is part of accomplishing it.  You'e taken the time to share with us your thoughts on blockages and shame and the like,  but perhaps, talking about what you want and the way you want it to happen will crack the blockages and slowly heal the shame.  We can explore the benefits of what you get about being blocked and feeling depressed, but it seems like your ready to make the shift.  I feel like you'e posted because you wanted to be heard, but moreso  to ask for permission to pursue a dream.  In that,  I give you permission.  What would you like to being accomplishing?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/6/2018 at 8:09 PM, Melody Sky said:

There is something else I want to do with my life but I am not making progress because of a fear of failure and I have a lot of inner blockages, namely shame and worth issues. I have been working on these issues so that I can make progress in my life.  But these are not issues that go away with a snap of the finger. I know it is not such a smart idea to quit this job when I don't have anything else going for me yet. But for some reason, I feel with every fiber of my bone that I should be spending all my

There are 24 hours in one day. You work 8. Perhaps sleep 8 hours a day on average. What do you do with the rest of your 8 hours? If you want to change your life start right there! 

Many people get caught in working so many hours that they barely see the sun. When you start prioritizing what's more important,  what actually gives life and not sucks it out, the work begins rearranging itself to accommodate the lifestyle you see yourself living. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That you think there's something else you should be doing sounds very positive; if you feel very strongly about that, then it might be the right way to go for you. Only you can really tell, in the end. Having something you *want* to put your energies into is a great pathway to finding happiness and meaning. I know very well about sinking all your efforts into jobs that have no personal relevance, what kind of drain that becomes.

I would definately advise caution though. I've quit jobs without having anything else to go to, and it didn't go to plan. Be sure that you can self-motivate, that what you have is something solid you can really work on, do and sink yourself into. Working alone takes a lot more energy than working for other people, but like everyone always says; if it's something you're going to actually enjoy doing, then it won't be draining to be working on it all the time. When I left my job and started working on my 'big project' (a farm), it turned out for me that I had no structure to it, no plans, and I quickly lost motivation and inertia, as I didn't really have the direction, tools, capital, resources or hard skills I needed to make it become a real 'job' I could live off. I hadn't done any prep work. If you really want to leave your job, definately, persue that. A general rule for life I would recommend to anyone is to 'never plan around doing something you hate forever' (shit, I just got a promotion and I'm still applying for other jobs in different industries; like I said, I know what kind of drain jobs you feel nothing for become). Just make sure you've done your preparations and laid out the planning you'll need for it to become more than just a big idea. I think Garnet's onto a good tact there; before quitting, use your free time to do that prep work, there's no need to wait until you have total free time avaliable to get started on it. Do you think it would be possible to do a little bit of whatever it is in your free time? There's no better way to know how something will go than to try it; if you have the option to try a little bit before taking on the whole lot, I say go for it. If you love doing it, your life will start arranging itself around it once you'ver gotten underway in it. If you can make the transition smooth, all the better.

Just remember; life is long, most things don't happen quickly. Do the prep work, know what you're going to do, don't let yourself get disheartened if things don't go right at first. Don't be scared of failure. Failure is normal, it's the greatest teacher in life anyone could ever have, and (barring death, but well, even that's pretty debatable) it is always temporary. Changing direction is almost never easy, but it's always worth doing in the long run.

Edited by Done Now
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Done Now said:

life is long, most things don't happen quickly

@Melody Sky Imagine your worst case scenario and what would you do then. When you find your way out of there, anything is possible. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2018 at 9:27 PM, David B said:

My first comment is, I'm impressed that you'e been at the same job for four years.  It's quite an accompliment.... And I'd say you can' really say you really don' keep jobs anymore.

My second comment would be, try to figure out how to increase your performance at your current job, since you'e admitted to not being as productive as you want to be.   .... And while your doing that, test the market for a new more (relatively) exciting job.

Third, practice telling us/people/yourself what you think you want to accomplish in life.... for that is part of accomplishing it.  You'e taken the time to share with us your thoughts on blockages and shame and the like,  but perhaps, talking about what you want and the way you want it to happen will crack the blockages and slowly heal the shame.  We can explore the benefits of what you get about being blocked and feeling depressed, but it seems like your ready to make the shift.  I feel like you'e posted because you wanted to be heard, but moreso  to ask for permission to pursue a dream.  In that,  I give you permission.  What would you like to being accomplishing?

Thanks Dave, for your response. I want to live an authentic life being able to express my true self. I've always had a job for the sake of paying bills. I've always wanted to be a blogger and be able to support myself through blogging and spend the rest of my daily hours, when not blogging, just living my life in a slower pace than what modern society dictates. 

However, I don't know if I can support myself from just blogging. Not only do I have a fear of failure. I also have a fear of success. I have an inferiority complex. I would like to be seen and heard yet have a fear of being seen and heard. I feel like I have a lot of issues to work through.

On 3/12/2018 at 8:27 PM, Garnet said:

There are 24 hours in one day. You work 8. Perhaps sleep 8 hours a day on average. What do you do with the rest of your 8 hours? If you want to change your life start right there! 

Many people get caught in working so many hours that they barely see the sun. When you start prioritizing what's more important,  what actually gives life and not sucks it out, the work begins rearranging itself to accommodate the lifestyle you see yourself living. 

Hi Garnet,

Most days my job drains me so much that by the time I get home, I just want to watch TV and space out. I know that is not conducive but my brain refuses to function. But I am going to schedule in 2 or 3 hours a day to get my project started. I feel like even if my project doesn't pan out, I need to at least try. I don't want to die regretting not at least trying.

On 3/12/2018 at 11:17 PM, Done Now said:

That you think there's something else you should be doing sounds very positive; if you feel very strongly about that, then it might be the right way to go for you. Only you can really tell, in the end. Having something you *want* to put your energies into is a great pathway to finding happiness and meaning. I know very well about sinking all your efforts into jobs that have no personal relevance, what kind of drain that becomes.

I would definately advise caution though. I've quit jobs without having anything else to go to, and it didn't go to plan. Be sure that you can self-motivate, that what you have is something solid you can really work on, do and sink yourself into. Working alone takes a lot more energy than working for other people, but like everyone always says; if it's something you're going to actually enjoy doing, then it won't be draining to be working on it all the time. When I left my job and started working on my 'big project' (a farm), it turned out for me that I had no structure to it, no plans, and I quickly lost motivation and inertia, as I didn't really have the direction, tools, capital, resources or hard skills I needed to make it become a real 'job' I could live off. I hadn't done any prep work. If you really want to leave your job, definately, persue that. A general rule for life I would recommend to anyone is to 'never plan around doing something you hate forever' (shit, I just got a promotion and I'm still applying for other jobs in different industries; like I said, I know what kind of drain jobs you feel nothing for become). Just make sure you've done your preparations and laid out the planning you'll need for it to become more than just a big idea. I think Garnet's onto a good tact there; before quitting, use your free time to do that prep work, there's no need to wait until you have total free time avaliable to get started on it. Do you think it would be possible to do a little bit of whatever it is in your free time? There's no better way to know how something will go than to try it; if you have the option to try a little bit before taking on the whole lot, I say go for it. If you love doing it, your life will start arranging itself around it once you'ver gotten underway in it. If you can make the transition smooth, all the better.

Just remember; life is long, most things don't happen quickly. Do the prep work, know what you're going to do, don't let yourself get disheartened if things don't go right at first. Don't be scared of failure. Failure is normal, it's the greatest teacher in life anyone could ever have, and (barring death, but well, even that's pretty debatable) it is always temporary. Changing direction is almost never easy, but it's always worth doing in the long run.

Thank you for the support and advice. I just have to remember to focus on what I want and not let the busy work of daily living take over. 

Edited by Melody Sky

On 3/17/2018 at 8:30 PM, Melody Sky said:

Thanks Dave, for your response. I want to live an authentic life being able to express my true self. I've always had a job for the sake of paying bills. I've always wanted to be a blogger and be able to support myself through blogging and spend the rest of my daily hours, when not blogging, just living my life in a slower pace than what modern society dictates. 

However, I don't know if I can support myself from just blogging. Not only do I have a fear of failure. I also have a fear of success. I have an inferiority complex. I would like to be seen and heard yet have a fear of being seen and heard. I feel like I have a lot of issues to work through.

I just wanted to let you know that you absolutely can make a living at blogging. You do this through google adsense and affiliate marketing. I know of a website that has a full 5 course training certification to teach you how to build your website, start blogging using keyword targeting to get ranked in google, how to put in all the ads, do reviews and then link in amazon products that you then get commission off of, how to market yourself on social media, etc. They teach all of it. But there is a cost to it to learn all that and it does take some time to build up to though. For awhile I wanted to try affiliate marketing and blogging but didn't know how to go about it. Then I came across this website. It's definitely worth the cost to invest in your own online business. I tried it before but lost touch with what direction I was heading with. I'm back on the site now using it to build up my own spiritual business online. Let me know if you would like the name of the website to check out. They do have a free 7 day trial so you can try it out and see if it's something you wanna do.

I see you and your pain. I too feel the same, want to be seen and heard but have a fear of being seen and heard. Doing the completion process and parts work has helped resolve some of the feelings that were coming up. I'm starting to work with people one on one with channeling higher self/spirit guides/angels and life coaching combined. The life coaching basically works with a person one on one to identify what areas of their life that they are not happy with and then you work to make an improvement in those areas, and also identify what beliefs are holding them back. If you have worked with these emotions with cp then you may benefit from working with a life coach to get moving towards what you want to do in life. It's hard to get the motivation for something when you feel so bogged down by a job you don't like, but having someone there to encourage and motivate you and who cares about your success can be extremely helpful. Hope this helps. Feel free to reach out to me if you want. 

• Like 1