Done Now

What do YOU think the future will be?

What do YOU think the future will be?

Hi everyone!

I'm in a bit of a speculative mood tonight. I'm very interested in hearing what the commenters here think the future is going to be like. It's one of my interests and I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about things like this, but what do the people here think is going to be waiting for us in the not-hugely-distant future? I quite enjoyed those bits of time when people like Teal and other current spritualist figures dip into what they think the 'next step' is with human kind and spiritual development. There's a lot of talk of a large event, or shift, coming up, and that cycles of old are going to be altered. A revolution, I suppose people could call it.

I keep running into the same thing in my own thinking, and in Tarot card readings (though hey, maybe my cards are just done like that). The media zeigeist seems to be downright buzzing with the idea, approaching a destructive degree. I don't think I'm venturing too far out from the types of ideas talked about here in saying that I've seen a lot of the talk being about how this 'thing' approaching will simply be a turning point, a meta-choice of kinds. Not a judgement day, not an armageddon, not even a particularly noticable thing, but... a choice, in the collective unconcious, perhaps. A choosing of threads, a decision that's had to be made before, and will have to be made again in the future. But it'll involve quite a bit of bad stuff, most likely. Because hey, after all... most people don't change course while things are good. It's only in the bad times that entire societies can make new choices. That part worries me a little, just for, y'know... basic survival reasons. I've been having a bit of a rough time lately, like a lot of people. Simultaneously, a great time, in other ways. A bit of everything, all blended together. There's a kind of balance to be found in total inbalance. But imbalance is real, real tricky. Especially to talk about, I find. Heheh.

So, before going too deep down my own rabbit hole there, I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on the matter. Let's consider it a bit of a fun story-telling time, yeah? Other perspectives totally welcome, no matter how they're framed! Take the stage, tell your views on how things big and/or small are going to go. Hell, talk about your day tomorrow if you want, I'm curious to hear it!

PS anticipating low responses, that's fine too. :P

Edited by Done Now
  • Upvote 1

Cthulhu will wake from his slumber and enslave us all - The End!

Let's hope not. I feel like it's uncertain and that we're nearing a crossroad of sort. Before we reach it, lots and lots of pain and suffering will happen (man-made or natural, maybe both), this will leave us divided and push us to the edge, and on the edge (the crossroad) we'll make that choice, you also seem to be talking about. I think there may be some rebuilding, and during that rebuilding, humanity will reunite. Naturally it will take some time. But that's just my theory. My concern is that we'll get a huge setback in technology, but maybe that is what we need. If so, I think the unification will help speed up the technological advancement, faster than we've previously seen. I have a little hope that we'll make our first encounter with alien races, and they'll lend us a helping hand in rebuilding, that would be awesome.

If the setback does not occur, I fear that technology (mainly the advancement in AI) will create a huge divide among us - those that own the AI and those that do not. This could also push us to the edge. For some reason I just don't feel like that's the reality we're facing.

• Like 1

If the buzz is right, more and more people are reaching the “integral” level of consciousness.  

https://www.dailyevolver.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Altitudes-of-Development.jpg

”Turquoise” is emerging. I’d love to claim that I’m personally at ultra-violet but I could be full of shit.  And I am skeptical about extra-sensory perception and non-local knowing.  Seems to me that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

By the way, my evidence that “turquoise” could be emerging is that buzz that you mentioned.

Edited by Scot
  • Like 2

Zhaky; I find myself agreeing. You mention Technology as a big influence there, do you think it'll be a deciding factor, or more a... variable in the mix? I've heard arguments both for and against the idea that technology is going to be a crucial component in the 'breaking the cycle' vibe. Like, either it's a new ingredient that's going to create a different outcome from the boom-bust cycle of our ecology and evolutionary path, or conversely, it's something that's always been there in one form or another and has just given each boom-bust a different 'flavour', never being able to really affect the wider meta-threads of sequences of events; 'bloom, mature, birth, death.' What are your thoughts? I think perhaps there's merit to both, but would add that maybe the changing 'flavour' is actually what might constitute 'breaking the cyle'. Like, in the past, from the perspective of us as for us as a human collective, a 'bust' might constitute wide-scale death from famine or . The argument is there that maybe technology can, while causing so many issues, simultaneously be able to mitigate the worst parts of the 'bust'.

Scot; I'm really very ignorant about the ways of describing these things through colour. My mother was quite interested in that part of things, I think, but very little of those things got communicated to me, heh. That's really neat! Where does it come from?

@Done Now

I found out about Integral Theory from a podcast called “The Daily Evolver”.  The idea of evolution is based on the books of Ken Wilber.

it is a model, and it seems to be a pretty good one. I have heard it said that all models are flawed but some models are useful.  This one does seem useful.

By the way, I do not believe that the colors exist in any real sense.  They are merely being used to show a sequence.

• Like 1

@MistaRender Thanks for the explanation of the wonderful (and somewhat disturbing, dreadful) and delightful works of H. P. Lovecraft. I'm great, thanks, how are you?

@Done Now I lean more towards a variable in the mix, so not the true deciding factor. I'm not sure how much weight technology will play, but then again, as you know technology are tools we use, they are as such just extensions - like the saying 'guns don't kill people, people do'. Then again, I'm just throwing guesses here, my only basis for them is my personal interest in technology, and my education as a digtial designer. 

I had to look up boom-bust cycle, now the rest makes perfect sense. I believe AI (again my biggest concern, and not in the sense of Skynet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skynet_(Terminator))) is the next big revolution similar to that of the internet, it just won't happen quite as fast as the internet (I think). It will change the way we think about jobs and making a living, as most jobs will be taken by AI. Now if we don't resturcture our society to this change and take measures to secure (at least) a close to equal distribution of resources, those that own the jobs now taken by AI, will make all the money. Naturally things may eventually become cheaper, but those without jobs won't be able to buy much, in that sense we get a major bust, possibly even a depression. There is a chance though, that new kinds of jobs will appear, just as it happened during the industrialism (farmers losing jobs, becoming factory workers or yoga instructors), but as it was during the industrialism, it's close to impossible to imagine what those jobs will be (we can't all be programming and servicing the AI - they'll probably handle that semselves as well). I know for a fact that many school system are begining to adapt to this change, by introducing what they call the 21st century skills. This means that they teach soft skills (team work, innovation, critical thinking etc.) to the next generations rather than hard skills (math, physics, culture etc.), as the next generation won't be able to compete with AI, with just hard skills on their repetoir. 

Deep down I think we'll be alright, but I think we're going to face some tough times first.

@Scot I believe Michael Newton covers some of those colours in one of his books about the journey of the soul (Journey of Souls - https://www.newtoninstitute.org/books/journey-of-souls-dr-michael-newton-1994/). In the books, the souls describe how their energy changes colour based on how far they are in their development. I think their description fits quite well with the chart you linked to.

• Like 1

This is a topic that I find ridiculously difficult to put into words.

While I can't give you lucid, accurate words to describe what my future will be, I can tell you that when I look at that one life path that I specifically want to be on, there is a point I reach in that life path where I see what seems to be the sky opening up and a white light, swallowing everything whole.  This light is either swallowing me whole, or the whole world, or only particular aspects of the world, but it's all-consuming and I am physically incapable of seeing anything beyond that light.  The closer I get to this potential life path that I have wanted for so many years, the stronger the pull of this white light.  My speculation is that this "white light" means "returning home", or leaving Earth and going to another place.  What it does not feel like is death or reincarnation, although there definitely was a time when I thought it meant death or reincarnation.  It no longer feels that way.  Now, it feels universal, meaning it's not going to be limited to my personal experience in this life, but that it will reach absolutely all life on this planet.  (I think.)

My future makes me insanely nervous, but not in a way that I can label as "positive" or "negative".  It feels like my soul is going to be sucked out of my body and that it's going to return to Source, but that when that time comes, everything is going to be sucked back into Source perspective, and we are going to enter into a reality that is so different from Earth that the human psyche is (possibly?) incapable of comprehending it.  It feels like a state of raging madness, but a peaceful state of raging madness.

Does any of this make sense?  It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.  :|

Thanks for reading.  :$

The general consensus is that we are all interpreted to be going down a singular route or timeline, or even if we shift timelines, we are effectively "all in it together." The truth of the matter is, we are all on our own life paths, our own timelines. That is, where one (or several depending on ones own choices and beliefs) person(s) or people are travelling or experiencing one timeline, while others experience a different variation of local and global - even universal  circumstances We are essentially echoes of our consciousness to each other. There is an intuitive I follow by the name of Gigi Young who explains this concept brilliantly by explaining that we are not all I quote "barreling down the same future collectively". She has videos on it if you wish to go further.

With this in mind, you are able to comprehend that each observed variation of how people see what the future will be is automatically always valid potential, but to their own. How you shift these timelines is dependent on what you think, feel, know and choose by your actions. I.e. One person might be expecting the Apocalypse and soon after may be experiencing that as a reality while someone else is experiencing a peaceful Earth state. These are the more extreme examples however. This is also why paying attention to the news and media is potentially dangerous.

Candie.mcmullen seems to have the right idea on this in the form of it being subjective perspective principle.

Edited by Inquisitor
  • Like 1

I think the entire veil of reality is likely to open up and we may see the original creator of this universe.  Terribly upsetting topic for me to go into.  The only reason I blurted it out right now is because I can almost physically feel it.  Also, other people have mentioned this to me, so just think of it as me repeating what they said.

Edited by Guest

I remember the anxiety, agitation i felt just before Mt St Helens blew her top. This feels like that. At the time I left Oregon and came back to Florida for a family visit. This time there doesn't seem to be any place to go. @candie.mcmullen sounds like you are feeling the same thing. I went to Guatemala last summer for the same reason, in part, but i ended up coming back to Florida again. I remember the heart sinking feeling seeing the concentric circles in the picture in the paper drawn around Havana, Cuba during the Cuban missile crisis labeled short, medium and long range nuclear weapons. Tallahassee was well within the medium range circle and the capital of Florida! But Hey! God's in charge and He sends me where he needs me so...

Be blessed, be a blessing.

Edited by Pastor George
  • Like 1

What I want most for our future is a kind of world constitution; that humanity unites.

On 1/27/2018 at 1:52 PM, Zhaky said:

Now if we don't resturcture our society to this change and take measures to secure (at least) a close to equal distribution of resources, those that own the jobs now taken by AI, will make all the money.

Thank you. I thought the workers would become poor because they lost their jobs, not rich. But the demands of services will continue to exist! so if the workers can just adapt and control that then even when the way of service changes, they can still create income. However, the workers are unlikely to be the ones to invent the AI so when applying AI to any industry, the workers must deny the programmers taking everything, or deny the application of AI.

Regarding AI, a physical structure can only become sophisticated, not conscious so I don't believe in that type of doomsday thinking.

17 hours ago, Inquisitor said:

The truth of the matter is, we are all on our own life paths, our own timelines.

True.

• Like 2

Good to see you around, Pastor George. :)  At this point, I think the best thing we can all do is enjoy life as much as we possibly can.  I try to do this every day, to whatever extent is possible.

My personal feelings are that we are meant to transmute into another species that is purely spiritual in nature and not fleshly in nature.  This isn't to say that I'm viewing humanity in a negative light, but that perhaps something influenced our species so much that the next step in our evolution can only be described as "the only way is up".

@Blaze35 I think you misunderstood my line "those that own the jobs now taken by AI, will make all the money". What I meant was, the one owning the job is the boss. Say I own a store, then I'm also owner of the jobs currently occupied by human employees, but if I replace those with AI employees, I will save lots of money. Of couse this won't last forever, those wihtout jobs will need new ways of earning, or else they can't pay for my goods, and then I won't be in business for long either, as I think you also mentioned with your statement "But the demands of services will continue to exist!" right?

I don't think workers or anyone have much power in denying AI. It makes sense to us, because it makes resources cheaper, which is something we usually are quite fond of, as long as it doesn't cost our job. The librarian probably won't mind AI employees much when his groceries become cheaper, and the bus driver won't mind much when her taxes are spent on other (in her opinion more important) things than libraries. Both will probably have to adapt, it's never easy, but we are quite good at it.

In regard to AI being concious or just sophisticated, I agree that the doomsday scenario of them making a descision to wipe out humanity is rather far fetched, and that is not the kind of doomsday I'm talking about either (I honestly don't consider it doomsday, just a qualified guess at a future scenario really). However, if we look at our own history, we have already several of times surprised ourselves, from believing something impossible to suddenly considering it the norm (bacteria, atoms, speed of light, telephones, cars, the internet etc.). Concious AI, however crazy it may seem to us now, could be something that eventually makes perfect sense to future us or future generations. I don't see any point in denying it, before we can prove it's impossible, and proving that it isn't possible yet, is not entirely the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zhaky said:

What I meant was, the one owning the job is the boss.

I thought I would misunderstand because the original statement was ambiguous. What I realized was that the power of an industry lies with the workers in that industry (or, indirectly the employers in the case of the workers being AIs owned by them). For the primary and possibly secondary industry, if every single boss in one industry denies AI then the workers can halt the technological implementation of AI and make demands. Because the AI developers simply don't own the physical ground/mines. when no single boss out-competes the rest through AI then the industry is preserved.

Firstly, I can't say how happy I am to see people having a discussion like this. I really felt resigned that this would sink to the bottom quite readily.

@candie.mcmullen and @Pastor George I have to agree. My part of the world seems about ready to lurch into a death-spiral. I've been doing Tarot for a while, not often, but whenever it seems appropriate... and while I'm not exactly Mr makes-a-living out of it, I think I'm not too bad at it, generally. Unusually for me though... the total lack of results at the moment are odd. I try not to put too much stock in cards (they're after all, just intentionally ambiguous things we apply our own perspective and essence onto), but... well, you draw the same/similar groupings of cards enough times and then everything goes murky and meaningless, that just seems notable, when they've been talking about a demise/darkness and then rebirth for so long. The interruption of meaning happens sometimes, for me doing Tarot, but... The wheel's turning, and I'm suspecting it's about to turn onto the place/ideal I've really come to care about. It's been in the zeitgeist for a while, looks to perhaps be about to become manifest reality once again (assuming it even ever stopped being manifest). But it's kind of meant to, in an awful way. Its doing so is, as you kind of suggested Candie, one of the ways in which the fundamental ideas of the universe present themselves... and I agree wholeheartedly. It's a terribly upsetting topic.

@Inquisitor Leading on from where I finish above, You're also quite right. Individualistic experience trumps all, to the individual experiencing it. We all live in entirely seperate worlds, right alongside each other. So, I suppose ultimately the question of 'what do you think the future's going to be like' is an entirely subjective one. Which I think, makes it all the more valuable. People put too much stock in objectivity, when really, subjectivity is what we all experience and communicate to each other. I think humanity's problem is that we see reality, but backwards. How we try to get the things we want are often perfectly opposed to how we can actually attain those things. I wish the world we lived in had more people willing to share their subjective viewpoints, without the pretense of wanting/idealising objectivity, or judgement for failing to meet the social expectations of same. Less reactivity. We aren't made to be objective, but the social world we've built for ourselves demands us to be. It's very... counter-intuitive. On the bright side, ultimately, when people start talking about how 'the higher beings are interested in us', I think that's the idea they're alluding to. Our capacity to fail makes us the greatest success of all, because we're so damn fundamentally backwards, we succeed by failing. A utopia that arises through a misery, death and decay that becomes life, and creation.

@Zhaky and @Blaze35, the AI topic gets pretty harcore meta, I'm glad to see some people engaging in it! I'm currently working in a field that's getting quickly automated atm (public services, but not exactly. They're rolling out the self-service options pretty hard, it's a weird feeling servicing customers and being required by policy to spruik the services that A) 75% of people fucking hate, and B) will, if they ever manage to start working semi-reliably, remove 1/3rd of the workers from their positions, because of the drop in workload that would result). It becomes a HUGE discussion, but ultimately... it's not great. People like to say that the greater productivity and release of semi-skilled workers back into the workforce compensates for whatever's lost, but... it just isn't that simple. Even ignoring the fact that 'released back into the workforce' means 'becomes unemployed'. I can see what the Luddites were thinking (well, y'know, the popular conception of them), when they started breaking all the looms. I can see why they were wrong, too, but... there's definately things lost in the quest for exponential growth. Things much less tangible than GDP or revenue figures. It's horrible being a cog in the soulless machine that's consuming the world, but it's even more horrible being a cog who's been discarded and has to live in a tent or car because of a thousand reasons, big and small, because the call centre only needs 200 people this year, instead of the 300 last year. Profits for the few mean little to the many. Doubly so when the many have to live in that dying world without hope of anything better.

Edited by Done Now
  • Like 1