Joeyc

Drawing a line between Movie and reality ?

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

can you help me?

I need to know how can I learn to draw line between Movie and reality.

Because every time I watch a hard movie( with violence and gunfight etc...)  in it  reacted to it Like really hard to sometimes( twice i nearly breakdown)

I tried to dis-identify with it that works not every time  because some movies are based on real stories. Then is for me in possible to dis-identify with it. It is like I'm feel role of one character because I know how it is to suffer. It is like having to much compassion for this. and because I'm sensitive my body tells me every fast like I'm feeling unsafe, my hearts start to beat faster and my belly has so weird feeling in it( when I'm scared). When I hold the crystal tiger eye with usually brings me a feel like I'm safe with it is it is not enough to feel really safe ( I still feel unsafe) But as soon as i got of it my heart beat every thing gets normally very fast. I don't know really know why it is happening.

I just wished i could watch movies like every other student.

so maybe you have some tips or process that this stop happening. It is a little embracing for me.

Much love and big hug :happyderp-min:

PS But this started when I became spiritual .

Edited by Joeyc
  • Upvote 2

Hello again Joeyc, You are not different from "every other student", this isn't even a sensitivity issue. It's a trigger issue. Next time you watch a movie that usually triggers you watch the part by yourself and when that unsafe feeling starts, stop the movie and just sit and be present with those feelings.... then it's Shadow work time :D

ask yourself:

Why is this upsetting me?

What does this remind me of?

What part of myself needs to be acknowledged and loved right now?

Why was that experience or feeling so bad?

How can I move past that experience or feeling?

What are the benefits to moving past this experience or feeling? 

Hope this helps :)

• Upvote 3

Hi Joeyc, having such reactions to movies can have different causes. one might be triggers, as stated above. what is it about the movies that triggers you? have you some buried memories that come up watching them? would be questions to ask yourself, and doing the shadow-work. ive experienced that too and would just recommend you to not watch triggering movies alone but with someone whom you trust so you can ask for comfort if it is too much.

or it might actually be the sensitivity. some people just are more sensitive to movies, especially if you have a feeling of being totally immersed in a movie while watching it. if you let yourself be taken into that fiction world. that is ok too, it can be a sign of being a very empathic person and having great imagination. on the other side though, in that case it is really important to develop healthy boundaries - find out, what movies you like, that make you feel good, im sure there are some. is it animated movies? or romance or comedy? or thoughtful dramas and life-portraits? you dont have to watch all genres, you can pick them selectively and learn where to draw the line for yourself. you really dont have to do anything, you get to choose, and it can be really enlightening to learn about your preferences and be kind to yourself by respecting them. dont force yourself to do anything that clearly isnt in alignment with who you are. if going to the movies is a social thing for you, find people who like the same kind of movies like you do.

when i was a teenager, i watched horror movies and thrillers, with my peers, but when i got on the spiritual path, that wasnt possible anymore either. now i enjoy watching movies too, but i select them carefully, i dont watch too brutal ones anymore, but rather feel-good movies and movies that give fodder for thought

Edited by Lilia
addition
  • Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Lilia said:

when i was a teenager, i watched horror movies and thrillers, with my peers, but when i got on the spiritual path, that wasnt possible anymore either. now i enjoy watching movies too, but i select them carefully, i dont watch too brutal ones anymore, but rather feel-good movies and movies that give fodder for thought

agreed, can definitely relate to this :)

• Upvote 3

@Joeyc

Hi, firstly I'd like to state that you are having a perfectly natural reaction to the stimuli you mentioned. It's other people who are unnaturally anesthetized to such violence and mayhem.

Live-action film and television (moving pictures) are an interesting phenomenon; our minds (on a deep, unconscious level) register what they are seeing as real (as in not-pretend, not an act). In this subconscious manner, you are watching all of this play out in front of you, as if you are there.

People have become desensitized or adjusted to this form of media over the years. Audiences used to gasp and faint at scenes that would today seem hokey.

If you are someone who is a natural aesthete, if you connect with the world around you more intensely than most, this is a good thing. You will become stronger, naturally, and be able to withstand your reactions to such scenes, maintaining a stoic poise. The difference (and payback for your suffering) between you and your less-affected peers is that you will be strong enough to handle such calamity if it were in reality also.

Personally, I like to stick to cartoons :) Cartoons are safer, and more stimulating to the intellect, as the unconscious mind intrinsically recognizes them as a metaphor, not a reality but an image fabricated to some purpose.

p.s. Metaphor comes from two roots, "meta" (beyond) and "phor" (carrry). So a metaphor is something that "carries us beyond." Pretty neat, huh? Sorry :$ I just love words. ^^

• Upvote 3

On 23/06/2016 at 7:49 PM, Joeyc said:

Because every time I watch a hard movie( with violence and gunfight etc...)  in it  reacted to it Like really hard to sometimes( twice i nearly breakdown)

... PS But this started when I became spiritual .

Could be related to past-life.

... and, this is off-topic but it has to be said....

that huge emoji is so annoying

Edited by L-Ava

As a heavy screen watcher I agree with that your brain thinks you are in the movie if it looks "real" enough.
A little bit off topic but want to mention that I used to play pc games a lot like all day everyday for years.

Many of them were first person shooters and as the graphics got better, more "real", that line between pixels and realness began to merge. I believe I might have gotten a ptsd from playing too much of such games as Call of duty, counterstrike and a lot of other titles. I used to play for hours upon hours. That adrenaline rush every day.

Yea your body will respond heavily when doing too much of anything. Falling asleep with this was sometimes impossible, the body still remembers the sensation of survival and to keep a look out for danger.

• Upvote 1