Joeyc

What makes for you a good story?

5 posts in this topic

What makes for you a good story?

Hi dear Tribe,

I'm writing at moment on my new story. And I wanted to know what makes for you a good story , no matter if you are reading a fantasy, science fiction etc.

I want to learn to be writer.

And it really interested me what makes for a good story.

i can't wait for you answers.

much love Joey

Words.

The story doesn't matter. It's the combination of words that catches my attention, it pulls me in and I go with the flow. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm also writing a story, and I'm finding it hard to find a plot to start with. I keep getting lost, sidetracked and starting over again, not knowing what direction to go in with it, what tone to do it in, what ideas to include or exclude. So my advice may not be very good; admittedly I'm good at further developing, but not so much creating from scratch. Heh. I'm still working on that. I could do with some ideas, like yourself! There's always more you need to think about, when writing a story... I massively over-think things.

I wrote a bit of a thing about relatability, but as usually happens with my writing... wasn't a huge fan of how it turned out, heh. Definately, I agree with Mark Joseph Middleton that not packing in ideas is an important part of it. The stories that include lots of ideas feel like a great idea in theory, but they just get too messy, and by packing in ideas, they have to split their time and attention between them, so they can feel shallow, unless they're one of the exceptions. The best stories are, in my view, usually simple ideas that are getting pulled apart in ways that show understanding and compassion for the idea they're tackling. Even when it's a story about something bad. My all-time favourite stories are all about lonliness, rejection, loss... they've just come at it from an angle that to me, seemed lovely. They became a catharsis for that sadness, rather than a reminder of it. Which makes them good stories to experience, when you're feeling those things. If you as an author can really feel love for what you're writing, others will be able to see it in what you wrote. Assuming you're not like me and actually ever finish writing anything, heh. Took me ages to type this. Like, over an hour. I'm just not good at this... *sigh* Though y'see, I'm not feeling love for how I'm saying what I'm saying, so I kind of prove my own point, I guess. heheh.

Edited by Done Now
I added bits
  • Upvote 1

@Done Now Well write a lot and not every story gets finished. But most of the time I have a lot of ideas for story. Well what try will writing is to understand the characters stand point. So you could better understand them. Well if you interested in reading one of my stories to see how I write things down go to this Website ( it is german website but yeah) It is called schreibdichfrei.net There i put story up ( bascially the longest story I ever wrote) it is Called The Story of Dragonia and Livra