looking30

Proposing to my Chinese girlfriend

2 posts in this topic

Proposing to my Chinese girlfriend

I need help! I want to propose to my Chinese girlfriend and her family is quite strict. I learned that there’s a certain tradition when it comes to marriage in Chinese culture… I’m quite overwhelmed but I really want everything to go smoothly.

I met Chen through A Foreign Affair’s singles tour in Shenzhen, China. We’ve been in a long distance relationship for a year, of course it involved a ton of visits. She visited me and met my parents. I’m glad everyone in my family likes her. When I met her parents it was really awkward. Because her parents can’t really speak English, I like to believe they like me even a little at least.

I’ve been talking with my friends about proposing and one said there’s a certain way in China. I got curious and started searching. There were things like dowries, which got me bewildered. I know that my girlfriend’s parents are to an extent, strict… but I don’t know if they are still traditional or still follows such practice.

If I asked Chen that would destroy the idea of a surprise proposal… but is it better if I just propose to her and then ask her how I should ask her parents for her hand in marriage? I honestly don’t know what’s the right route to go for. I need some good advice!

Hi

In my opinion is good idea to wait a little bit longer. That`s only my opinion though, I believe that there are certain things which you have to live through in order to get married or have a successful marriage so to say. At least live together for a year or better 2 because this is when you start seeing many many things about the other person which you may like or not like. 
However, if you want to propose so much, just do it and then maybe ask her about the tradition:)

• Like 1