YolandaP

How to cope with suffering

6 posts in this topic

How to cope with the suffering in the world? Personally, I am especially sensitive when it comes to animal cruelty. Thinking of it keeps me up at night. Even when i am happy over things in my own life, the thought of others' unhappiness brings me down. Any ideas how to reason around this?

I understand your issue. Focus on what you would like to raise in this world. Animals are treated badly, children are treated badly, people that suffer in any way are treated badly, with no awareness, but there are animals treated well, there are people that take more care now too... And if you witness any of the above, take care of your feelings and express them if needed, what I would say ...

I know it's tough, but there are many activists now awakening and spreading awareness.. Be part of that and you will feel better. 

Edited by Mai-da

On the other side there are people who can't take someone else's happiness and that is what keeps them at night. Instead of focusing on their own well being they prefer to take it from others by bringing happy and innocent people/animals down so they can feel better about themselves. 

I don't know if there's ever going to be the end to this. I don't see it yet from where I am. 

One of the things that I do agree with modern spirituality is that reducing the collective suffering starts with one's self and those who around . 

I think you probably might need to look deep down in your own self to see why you feel that way. Because, I personally was like that my entire life and I used to pray for those animals and poor people who sleep outdoors during freezing temperature. It absolutely started affecting my life to the point where I was becoming unhappy, felt guilty for not doing anything about it.

A few years ago I actually realized it was my uprising that forced me to feel this way. My family had always told me to take care of others and I took that to the heart and way too deep. And if it's not prior history, like Mai-da and Garnet said, there are things we can control and there are those we cannot, you need to be able to differentiate those. Once you do so, you will realize you should not suffer by thinking of those you cannot control.

Just to satisfy yourself, if you can, you can donate to animal shelters (which I'm sure you already do now). That should make you happy inside knowing you did something to help those in need, and you made them happy. You should already be proud and joyful for being such a caring person, that on its own is a reward.

4 hours ago, Mahel said:

be proud and joyful for being such a caring person, that on its own is a reward.

Yes! It is much better to feel than not to feel! The difference is how long we let ourselves to be stuck in a feeling. 

I think the better we feel about ourselves,  the more we forget about ourselves and then are able to go and genuinely do smth else.