MarinaD

How to remember childhood(suppressed) memories?

10 posts in this topic

How to remember childhood(suppressed) memories?

Hi guys,

I don`t remember most of my childhood. I have always found this strange and I think I might be suppressing some memories..

Did someone else had this kind of experience? How did you deal with it? 

I would really  appreciate if you have any suggestions how to remember or find out why I don`t remember...

Thank you <3 :)))))))

maybe you got just lucky smooth childhood, usually from  memories sticks out traumas, to refresh your memory helpful to visit the places of that particular time, what I did last summer, the smell, old items triggering and images pops back. 

On 10/17/2017 at 12:12 PM, vincent said:

maybe you got just lucky smooth childhood, usually from  memories sticks out traumas, to refresh your memory helpful to visit the places of that particular time, what I did last summer, the smell, old items triggering and images pops back. 

Thank you Vincent:) Maybe you are right.

Hi Marina. Not remembering childhood memories is because of dissociation most of the time. Dissociation happens when an event was so painful, that you have stored the experience of it in the subconscious, some part of you suppresses it all in the subconscious, so your conscious, doesn't remember it. Also, until age of 8, we remember mostly with the soma, the body, that is why Teal is working with emotions and somatic therapy, because many memories are stored in the body, (how the body reacts on certain stimulus), and in the feelings, not the images or mental memories. Many ppl are so hurt, were, and still are so dissociated, that we don't remember anything. This is very sad to me, and i have/had this too. But the completion process, as well as other processes techniques that you may think of, can unfold the truth about you and your story at some point, and throughout the journey. There was a similar question in a workshop i saw from Teal, all of this was said, and I also learn these stuff. Many feel the same, or have the same issue, so do not worry. Many, many people. 

If anyone can add stuff, or have other ideas or experience, please share. 

Love,

Maida

Edited by Mai-da
  • Like 1

I thinks its because when we are kids we are still using our emotions and feelings, not so much mental and that sometimes turns off the older we get so now we are trying to remember a childhood from a intellectual point of view instead of feeling and connecting emotions and feeling with a past memory. they do come up, its just tracing it back from that original feeling. I remember being a kid remembering I want to say being a fetus, just flesh and weirdness, all those memories are still in you. just trace emotions back it will all come up.

• Like 2

I don't remember much of my childhood too. Interesting, I was just thinking about posting a topic very closely related to this a few days ago. I barely relate to who I was as a child like from like 8 - 14. I really don't remember anything much before that. I also had some home videos/pictures of those ages that helped me remember a little. I'm 19 now and I feel like a completely different person. I'd really like to know how I was at ages like 4 - 6 before I was too influenced by my surroundings to be something else. I'd like to make sense of my identity because who I am now is nothing like I used to be. It's weird not to relate with your childhood self.

Edited by Geri
  • Like 1

Listening to Teal explain what she went through in an interview I just saw made me realize that I really feel like i have been through something horrific but i cannot remember. How do we heal this if we cant remember? 

• Like 1

Thank you guys so much <3
I also believe I suppressed the memories and I am thinking of making  a regression, maybe that could help me "remember" some stuff.. 

Have you ever tried a Youtube Hypnosis Video on remembering your surpressed childhood memories? If you are empathic and/or suggestable this might help a great deal! 

I can only judge from myself, because I'm very suggestable through hypnosis.

I already had quit smoking that way, so when I stumbled across that Youtube video I thought I'd give it a  try.

I was stunned about the result, because it brought up a different issue I hadn't even been aware of yet: 

I had always thought my biggest emotional trauma was my father leaving me, because he married another woman in a different state and started a new family there. He never visited me again. I was 7 years old. 

BUT: During that hypnosis about my very first most painful memories my subconscience came up with something else - it showed me that I was crying desperately for my mother and couldn't understand, why she wasn't there! 

Explanation: my mother started working again, when I was only 1 year old and I went from one nanny to the next every few months.

No one wanted to keep me, because my mother had so difficult working hours.

That really totally changed my perspective on my life so far!

You should give it a try if you've made no bad experiences with hypnosis so far! You might also see a real person if it makes you feel more safe! 

• Like 1

Hello Marina,

i understand so much how you feel, I am from Luxembourg (not so far away) , I am 52 and hardly remember, well, most of my life, my parents died 30 years ago so I can’t ask questions, rarely some bits of memories come back, I don’t know how. The worst thing is even thinking of getting memories back scare the death out of me, I use to be ok with not looking back on my life but that doesn’t work either.

take care,

serge