Maddie

Viruses, a mystery to me.

6 posts in this topic

Hey everyone! I'm studying to become a biological analist and today we had a lecture about viruses, among other things. Now, viruses are not considered to be living organisms in biology

but why is it that they multiply and infect other organisms so 'actively'? So now i'm wondering, do they have indivdual consciousness or not? I thought, maybe someone would now more about this on a higher level.

Viruses hijack the replication mechanisms of living beings.  They can't replicate on their own so therefore they are not "alive".

Sorry but I don't know about their level of "consciousness".  

Physicist, Michio Kaku, proposed that "consciousness" is ability to sense your environment.  A thermostat can sense one thing about its environment (the temperature) and therefore it has a low level of consciousness.  We can sense a great number of things about our environment and therefore we have a higher level of consciousness.  

Sorry but I don't know about the consciousness of viruses.

Edited by Scot

Thanks for answering! Yes i was aware that they hijack cells in order to reproduce. But for example, when an infected bacterial cell is being shot with a laser beam, the virus inside the cell can sense that the bacterial cell

is being attacked. So it causes lysis of the cell before the beam can actually kill the bacterial cell. This is the virus' way to 'escape' the cell in order to protect its DNA. But, it still seems so weird to me dat a non living organism is able to reproduce and sense these kinds of things. When on the other hand it's just some pieces of DNA in a protein coat. But anyways, thanks for replying!

Edited by Maddie
  • Upvote 1

On 9 September 2017 at 9:30 AM, Maddie said:

Hey everyone! I'm studying to become a biological analist and today we had a lecture about viruses, among other things. Now, viruses are not considered to be living organisms in biology

but why is it that they multiply and infect other organisms so 'actively'? So now i'm wondering, do they have indivdual consciousness or not? I thought, maybe someone would now more about this on a higher level.

Hey @Maddie , for some reason clicked through to read this...

Some thoughts to ponder...
Teal has written that even a rock can have a consciousness as can a mountain - in fact everything in the Universe we are part of. We don't consider a rock 'alive' as such nor a chair or table. Also a room may have an energetic vibration but you wouldn't say that a room is alive.
Similarly, a Thought projection has a consciousness - it is energy as is a rock. Your little finger can have consciousness as much as you consider you brain does.
It gets really weird thinking about all this but as Teal says, everything is an origination from Source Thought anyway.

I think we must sway away from thinking things as "alive" and go more along the lines of levels of thinking of things as having consciousness.

Last, obviously the more "aware" or enlightened a person becomes, the more conscious thought is used thorough focus - so I guess that means we can have 'dead' people of little consciousness and very aware people with a mass of it!

Light
crystal Rob  

Here's my analogy (and other people have definitely come up with this before me)

In physics, particles such as photons behave like both particles (physical objects) and also like waves (energy).  The dual slit experiment investigates this wave / particle duality.  deBroglie hypothesized that actually everything behaves like both a particle and a wave.  Certain questions in physics can be answered by thinking about particles and certain questions can be answered by thinking about waves.  But everything is a wavicle.

The above is just the analogy.  Here is the "question  at hand":

In normal waking consciousness, we see the world and ourselves as separate physical objects (physical).  But in certain states of mind, we can turn off our perception of ourselves as separate physical beings and feel "at one" either with another person, or object, or everything. If you model these perceptions (feelings of no separation) as "energies coming into alignment" then you start talking about "vibrations" and "we are just waves on the ocean".  We are individual waves and the universe is the ocean.  In his way, every physical object is just a wave and we can come into alignment with it if we are in he right state of mind.  But then the question becomes: is this energy model the truth, or is it just a state of mind?

Personally, I say both are models and both models are valid.  We are wavicles.

Edited by Scot

I don't really know much about the subject, but reading through the replies here I wonder about something.

If a virus is considered 'not alive' because it can't reproduce on it's own, then what about flowers that need bees to reproduce? Are they considered to be 'not alive' as well? Because I think pretty much everyone will agree that all plants live. I mean, there's a clear difference between a living and a dead plant.
Just because the flower and the virus evolved in such a way that they need something else to exist in order for them to reproduce, does not mean it doesn't live, in my opinion. 

And I remember the video where Teal said everything has consciousness too. Rocks have consciousness... your clothes are self aware... probably.