wootton98

Meditation

16 posts in this topic

Meditation

I was practicing mindfulness meditation yesterday (labelling my external surroundings and bodily sensations) and I can't quite describe what I experienced. I suddenly became so intensely present that my Source consciousness felt like it was going to pierce through my skull. All I wanted was a little relaxation and freedom from thought! It felt like I was on the verge of a full out of body experience. I was unable to focus on bodily sensations to become present because I had transcended the body. Is this experience common with mindfulness meditation? 

• Upvote 1

why would you want to 'focus on bodily sensations to become present'? ...why would you want to 'label external surroundings and bodily sensations'? -Isn't that basically what the ego does?

you say you were 'on the verge' of a full OBE .. but then in your next sentence you say you 'transcended the body', (and that you could not focus on your body sensations.) ...so were you 'on the verge' or did you actually do it.

...in my experience, the body is always present as a vehicle. You don't identify with it as 'self' any more, and that's what I personally mean when I say 'I transcend the body', (ie, 'I' no longer identify with it as self. ...not that 'I' fly out of it and into the clouds or something...)

so when you say you transcended the body... what exactly happened? ...and also what is your methodology for this 'mindfulness meditation' in the first place?

• Upvote 2

I did most of a mindfulness meditation course through Coursera.  It was called "Demystifying Mindfulness".

one of the meditation exercises is called "the body scan".  It is supposed to get us more in touch with bodily sensations.  I don't know if anyone in the course ever said but I think the point is to strengthen the neural pathways involved in feeling body sensations.

I don't know what meditation you are referring to but it doesn't sound to me that OBE would be expected.  I don't believe it represents a problem, but I honestly don't know.  Some people want OBEs.

• Upvote 1

wow how cool of you to explain it that way, scot.

I did a lot of Daoist chan, and after some pot, music, and a 'kundalini awakening' It became clear to me that I needed to strengthen (/loosen) by neural pathways through body work like yoga, (and later, better and more accurately, 'myofascial unwinding'..)  ...still working on strengthening the body and making huge strides in just opening and strengthening the hips, lower back, and core...   ...though generally I am lacking in discipline to really take the whole thing to the next level....

But I understood intuitively that all the stiff, virtually dead body parts were really in need of a livening up if I wanted to develop spiritually.

...I never thought about doing a 'body scan' to contribute to that. ...but I was doing some spontaneous qigong that I suppose ...yeah the spontaneous qigong was way good at 'opening neural pathways'...

• Upvote 1

On 05/09/2017 at 0:43 AM, DavidFindley said:

why would you want to 'focus on bodily sensations to become present'? ...why would you want to 'label external surroundings and bodily sensations'? -Isn't that basically what the ego does?

you say you were 'on the verge' of a full OBE .. but then in your next sentence you say you 'transcended the body', (and that you could not focus on your body sensations.) ...so were you 'on the verge' or did you actually do it.

...in my experience, the body is always present as a vehicle. You don't identify with it as 'self' any more, and that's what I personally mean when I say 'I transcend the body', (ie, 'I' no longer identify with it as self. ...not that 'I' fly out of it and into the clouds or something...)

so when you say you transcended the body... what exactly happened? ...and also what is your methodology for this 'mindfulness meditation' in the first place?

I practice mindfulness to connect with my higher self. It's almost like I begin with two perspectives (subjective and objective) and after like 20 minutes I'm just pure Source. If I become present enough there is no longer a 'self' and I'm not even aware of my body, I'm just Source becoming aware of itself. 

...you take a nap.

Thanks for denigrating the practice of self-realization and pure awareness.

you should wipe your ass with an image of the Buddha, next.

maybe your problem is you do it by yourself in an empty room.

try doing it in a public place, where you're around people. then the effects of enlightenment, so subtle, become more apparent.

3 hours ago, DavidFindley said:

...you take a nap.

Thanks for denigrating the practice of self-realization and pure awareness.

you should wipe your ass with an image of the Buddha, next.

Why all the anger?  Seems to me that you are denigrating his experience.

Seems to me that "Atman is Brahman" is the experience of oneness.  Seems to me that what Wooton98 was describing was that he was not perceiving himself as an entity separate from Source but perceiving himself as at one with Source.  Is that not one of the experiences we are going for?  

3 hours ago, DavidFindley said:

maybe your problem is you do it by yourself in an empty room.

try doing it in a public place, where you're around people. then the effects of enlightenment, so subtle, become more apparent.

We are all waves on an ocean.  I cannot say that I have experienced the full depth of that.  But are you talking about something completely different?

• Upvote 1

who said I was angry.

proper meditation brings self-realization and pure awareness. When you are by yourself, or perhaps facing a wall, you are aware of precious little.

but when you are around other people, then you will begin to see through things a lot more clearly.

but never have I or anyone I have known ever blacked out (or taken a nap, or whatever,) and called it a profound spiritual experience. He is either lying or intentionally denigrating spiritual practice.

He did not say he blacked out.  Seemed to me that what he was saying is that he was conscious but not perceiving his existence as a separate entity.  Seemed to me to be a pretty good description of seedless samadhi.

• Upvote 1

On 13/09/2017 at 9:36 PM, DavidFindley said:

who said I was angry.

proper meditation brings self-realization and pure awareness. When you are by yourself, or perhaps facing a wall, you are aware of precious little.

but when you are around other people, then you will begin to see through things a lot more clearly.

but never have I or anyone I have known ever blacked out (or taken a nap, or whatever,) and called it a profound spiritual experience. He is either lying or intentionally denigrating spiritual practice.

Why would I waste my time lying on a forum site? I shared an experience. I didn't black out or take a nap. Story of my life really, explaining things others just don't understand. 

...if you became aware of pure Source, and 'lost awareness of even your own body'    ...that is, either aware of absolutely nothing at all.... or absolutely everything at all...  apparently we're discussing the prior...

..then you do you even know you weren't take a nap? you described a total black out of consciousness, I don't know how else to interpret it.

...look, when you do genuine meditation practice, you become MORE aware, not LESS aware (...) . that means you don't 'lose awareness of your body'. instead you gain awareness.    .....and when you gain more awareness, there are subtleties that become apparent that make you feel just a little bit super-human. remember Buddha is 'the awakened one'.

look, don't get me wrong, I like the 'subjective' merging with the 'objective', which is a strong and positive indication,

but then he follows with, let me quote:

"If I become present enough there is no longer a 'self' and I'm not even aware of my body, I'm just Source becoming aware of itself."

...but then maybe I am interpreting this the wrong way... I mean, maybe he means something and saying something else...

....just explain to me how losing awareness of one's body is good or correct at all, or otherwise can be interpreted in any positive fashion.

ok, I thought a lot about this and came to a conclusion.

this guy is either a dumbass or a bullshitter.

there is no directly realizing Source. this is the nature of Source. a human being can only realize it's outward manifestation -- in terms of being aware of manifest reality. In proper Samadhi there is no 'loss of awareness', but only gain. ...and especially of the there-self, including the body.

if someone is telling us that they went into some black-hole of consciousness, that is because they lost consciousness, not gained it.

meditation is good if you want to know "the self" the I, god, source, higher self, whatever name. the ego layer is the loudest one, that's part of the illusion here, to only be aware of this body that the soul is fused in, that the loudest layer we all have and we are all connected to the collective consciousness which is pretty fucking low. the more subjective the more louder, the more objective quiet and more subtle, to be able to differentiate between these layers of ourselves is what quieting the body would do, quieting the loudest aspect of ourselves is what meditation does. the soul itself can see, feel, hear, beyond the range of the physical body, you are more in tune with your soul when you see energy and third eye turns on aka DMT and leave your body, aka accessing another projection of your soul stream, the outside is inside of you including all the people, all accessible to you now, not this ego, it's the loudest while in it, and more subjective than objective, want to get to objective truth quiet the body so much that you can see beyond the range of what this body can perceive including the beliefs, the beliefs attached to this ego are subjective too unless you integrate your soul and the body and can differentiate between the 2. even the ego belief that we are separate isn't true on a higher awareness, but it's a loud belief so we think it's true because the ego is the loudest layer, that's the game of forgetting we are god, the illusion is the loudest, it's still real though.

• Upvote 1