Pastor George

The New Justice System

4 posts in this topic

The New Justice System

I'm not sure how to accomplish this goal that teal has set for us to revolutionize the justice system but everything she says in her latest video is right on as far as I'm concerned. It is exactly what i have seen and experienced working in today's criminal justice system as a chaplain, counselor and ministry volunteer. How to manifest the reality is another story. Here I am teal what can i do? i feel like I'm already doing much of what you suggest but we can only accommodate a few people at a time in our Intentional/therapeutic community here called Recovery Ministry.

• Upvote 1

Dr. George Lakoff is a linguist and cognitive science researcher.  Here is a Wikipedia article on him:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lakoff

Part of his "model" is there are constellations of personality and political leanings.   Republican is part of a constellation of traits that could be influenced by "strict father figure" parenting.  Democrat is part of a constellation of traits that could be influenced by a "nuturing parent model".

here is another article using the strict father vs. nurturing parent model to explain Trump.  https://www.google.ca/amp/s/georgelakoff.com/2016/07/23/understanding-trump-2/amp/

Seems to me that the traditional penal system is related to the "strict father" constellation and Teal's proposed correction system would fit into the "nurturing parent" constellation.  Which means that Democrats might think it is a good idea but Republicans are gonna hate it.  And under a Trump adminstration, Teal's proposal isn't going to gain traction.

I also think the traditional penal system and Teal's "reintegration" system could end up as a pendulum that swings back and forth between "punish" and "nurture/reintegrate".  The ultimate solution might involve a balance between the two.

Edited by Scot
  • Upvote 1

I live in a intentional/therapeutic community we have 4 dwellings on 2 acres west of Tallahassee. Many of the folks who come to stay with us have a history of drug, alcohol and legal problems. Being a retired pastor and counselor I am often called on to help them navigate the criminal justice system. Just showing up at court with someone and speaking on their behalf often changes the outcome, sometimes dramatically. It's often as though the court would like to be able to choose a nurturing alternative but there aren't many available.