Yessi

Taking on personality and traits of other people

4 posts in this topic

Taking on personality and traits of other people

I used to imagine transforming myself into people I knew around me. So much so I took on their way of talking, standing, walking. I haven't done so in awhile. Now I'm more concentrated into being me and what being me means. Has anyone else experienced this? 

• Upvote 1

Yes, it's like trying on different clothes . You can actually benefit a lot from this practice and increase your self-esteem .  For ex., a guy/girl didn't show up on a date. No call etc. and you don't know what to do. Think about someone who you think could give a good advice on this or someone who has it all put together .  What would that person do? and so on.

I think we can call it Human Resources ?

• Upvote 1

I have but usually not being your "true self" isn't sustainable. I believe its something a lot of people do because they see others being praised and liked for doing so. When it comes down to it every wants to be loved and appreciated so if they see others showing certain traits that are loved and appreciated by others they take those traits on to get a piece of what they desire. 

• Upvote 2

Reading the comments it made me question what characteristics I used to take on in others. The answer is confidence. As of now I am totally into being myself and right now I'm dealing with feeling unsafe alone and feeling like I can't trust myself behind the wheel of a car. I am staying with this feeling rather than running away from it or taking on the personality of someone who I feel is confident and feeling secure.