Csj

Feeling 'ignored' on Social Media

14 posts in this topic

Social Media has created the perfect place for people to feel unwanted and ignored. It is especially painful in the case of the 'famous' and the followers. 

On the one side there are those that become 'famous' and are in 'lime light' so to speak and everything that they do and say is acknowledged by masses of people on Social Media. Thousands of people want to know them and be noticed/ acknowledge them. The person who has amassed a following of people and uses Social Media as a platform for their message and expansion receives such a large amount of feedback that I would imagine it becomes impossible to acknowledge each individual person that admires them and comments on their posts. 

On the other side you have all the individual people that make up the masses who admire and follow this person. That want desperately to connect and be a part of the more famous persons (I am using the term famous for lack of a better term)  life, to be acknowledge, to be noticed, even if it is just a comment acknowledging that there voice has been heard. However the 'famous' person can not possibly acknowledge each individual persons 'voice' on Social Media, thus is created a situation where the masses of people who want to be acknowledged feel 'ignored' by the person they are following.

Social Media makes it easy to share with the masses it is a great platform to be seen and heard by hundreds of thousands of people AND it also gives those hundreds of thousands of people the tools to comment on those views.  However because of the large amount of feedback that the poster receives the poster may be unable to acknowledge each person who comments or shares on these posts. This can create resentment on the part of the follower, especially when the follower sees the person they are following, acknowledging some but not all the people who comment. 

Before Social Media, if I for example absolutely 'Loved' A certain spiritual teacher and purchased all their books, I had a couple choices to contact this teacher, I could write a letter or go to a workshop or course put on by them. Now the letter may not be answered which would be disappointing, or I may not get to meet them in person at an event, however I would have been in the same 'space' as them and they would have been talking to me along with everyone else in the room so it would satisfy my need for acknowledgement. However in the case of Social Media I now have the opportunity to share how I feel about their teachings repeatedly and I am putting myself in a position to have my feelings repeatedly ignored. I begin to see  the person as so famous and so above me in station that they have no time to acknowledge my 'love' for them.  After a time I start to feel resentful at being ignored. 

I am not sure what the solution to this particular conundrum would be, as the leader uses Social Media to share there insights and teachings and the follower wants to acknowledge the leader and let them know how much they are impacted by their teachings however they are rarely if ever acknowledged back by the leader they admire. 

• Upvote 2

I see your point....For me, their teaching is more important than their response to my ego self. If i elevate myself to that level, they would hear me for sure. Dont you think, expansion is our goal and not any person?

Krishna had 16108 wives, it is said in our culture. do you think he had time for all of them. He had 108 as their favorite, 8 very special, finally 1 as very very special. He used to sing 'Murali' through his flute & all the wives would gather to listen to it. If you are talking about teal.....she sings every weekend for us & we gather on you tube to listen to it. Her every word is very precious and makes us realize so many of our darker and ignored sides. If person like teal has no time to respond, because she has a bigger goal....even I heard that...her son also doesnt get enough of her. Who are we really?

• Upvote 1

@CherieJ i also see your point.

From my personal experience, communication with the "famous" person can also happen indirectly and has just as much of an impact as direct contact. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Amit said:

I see your point....For me, their teaching is more important than their response to my ego self. If i elevate myself to that level, they would hear me for sure. Dont you think, expansion is our goal and not any person?

Krishna had 16108 wives, it is said in our culture. do you think he had time for all of them. He had 108 as their favorite, 8 very special, finally 1 as very very special. He used to sing 'Murali' through his flute & all the wives would gather to listen to it. If you are talking about teal.....she sings every weekend for us & we gather on you tube to listen to it. Her every word is very precious and makes us realize so many of our darker and ignored sides. If person like teal has no time to respond, because she has a bigger goal....even I heard that...her son also doesnt get enough of her. Who are we really?

Yes true Amit and Teals wisdom is amazing. 

13 hours ago, Amit said:

Thanks and lets try to be Teal

Amit, for me I am going to take her guidance and wisdom, and do my very best to be authentically Me. 

Thats always suggested in fact...expansion can be taken at later stages...once we are comfy with ourselves

22 hours ago, Garnet said:

@CherieJ i also see your point.

From my personal experience, communication with the "famous" person can also happen indirectly and has just as much of an impact as direct contact. 

Just curious what you are referring to by indirect communication? 

2 hours ago, CherieJ said:

Just curious what you are referring to by indirect communication? 

I can be simply inspired by what they do and how they do it and that's enough for me?

I think this situation can be solved externally only to a certain degree. Because this is a"feeling" based situation. This is Tealtribe, if anybody understands how being with emotions is important, it's people from here. So, examine your emotions relative to being ignored. Being ignored by the person that matters to you... That you wanted attention from. Going unnoticed. Being unheard. Sit with the emotion.

This is an experience. Everybody has bad experiences in their lives. This is the kind of contrast you've opted into obviously; because it's a part of your life. And it's important to you it seems, because you've written a long text about it :) so own it as a part of your life: own these feelings, work with them. After a while, when you feel ready, find the inner child longing to be heard, wanting to be noticed, ot whatever she needs. Connect with her.. interesting, you'll be giving her attention ironically. 

Another irony is that when you give attention to your feelings of being unnoticed, of being insignificant or being unheard.. You are giving them significance; you are hearing them. So the negative vibration already starts to change in that second.

• Upvote 1

On 6/28/2016 at 2:58 AM, CherieJ said:

We are all fantastic, thanks for asking.
We Love Summer!
You?

Thats great....i hope you r working on teal's advices.

I am going through oral surgery...after a week i will be okay