Scot

Being vs. Caught in the moment

2 posts in this topic

Being vs. Caught in the moment

When a person is caught in the moment, or maybe "caught up" in the moment, part of their mind is turned off.  Maybe they have been triggered. Maybe they're angry, annoyed, and they lash out against whatever made them angry.  Or maybe they lash out against people who just happened to be there.  A "mob" is caught in the moment.  "Mob mentality" is where a bunch of people all turn their conscious minds off and can no longer be reasoned with.  In such cases, "mindfulness" would suggest taking yourself out of the moment and reflecting on your own actions.

On the other hand, "being in the moment" implies peace and serenity.  Others might not quite agree with me, but I think that "being in a peaceful and serene moment" still involves turning part of your mind off.    And that is a very nice place to be and I certainly want to cultivate my own ability to get there.  I think it is rare and beautiful when it happens.

• Upvote 2

I agree! When we are present we focus on the now and "close off" the future and the past. So often most people (including myself) sometimes focus on the future and the past which usually manifests into anxiety. When we are present we activate our self-awareness. When we activate the past or future thoughts or actions we are in an anxious state. 

• Upvote 1